PDA

View Full Version : New to WHFB and have daemons

notoriousFAT
05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I dont want to get flamed out of existence by saying I want to play daemons, but I have them in 40k and looking to play WHFB. I guess what im asking is what is so broken about daemons? I want to stay away from that. I'm working on a slaanesh list, but have no idea really where to start. Thoughts?

Warp
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
I have not played against Daemons in Fantasy, only in 40K (let's be fair, they're not even remotely overpowered in 40K, just annoying) so I have wondered about this myself. However, what I have been able to get so far is that they have some overpowered units (Bloodthirster is supposedly wicked) and the fact that the entire army is immune to psychology while themselves causing terror or fear renders a very important part of 7th edition (psychology) basically one sided.

And let's not forget that the entire army ignores the deployment phase and enters via deepstrike. Have a gunline Dwarf or Empire that will take out a footslogging WoC unit marching towards you in three turns? Well, Daemons have units as strong as that, but they don't have to walk across the table, they land straight in your face :)

Hopefully, someone can elaborate a bit and correct me if I have misunderstood something, hth.

TheBitzBarn
05-20-2010, 12:55 AM
They do not enter via Deep Strike as that is 40K only No Deep Strike in Fantasy

Warp
05-20-2010, 01:10 AM
They do not enter via Deep Strike as that is 40K only No Deep Strike in Fantasy

And I started so well by being aware of this being the fantasy forum :(

gcsmith
05-20-2010, 02:04 AM
the main thing I think from a HE point of view is a army wide 5+ ward at least, not demonic ward which it should be, but normal ward save. As such most weapons relied on for killing monsters are not as effective and with 20" fly not 12" like 40k they are in combat all 2 soon.

Lord Azaghul
05-20-2010, 07:52 AM
. I guess what im asking is what is so broken about daemons? ?

Quite frankly: everything.

Its not one or two things, its the culmination: of high stats/low cost, reliability, duribitly, items and ability the rob your opponents of their abilites/stats, cheap items, brutal combo options, ignores half the core rules, virtually no downsides.

They are the closest thing to an 'I win' button in the game. People have used a random army generator for this army and still have a hard time losing. They take stratgy right out of the game.

However: knowing GW's history of gaming Mania: If it was awesome last ed, it'll suck next ed.
I would almost bet that they will be kicked hard in the upcoming 8th edition (at least they better be or a bunch of people are quiting).

That won't mean that the bad taste won't remain in peoples mouths... so in summary, don't go daemons, almost anything else guarrenties you more opponents and more fun games.

Mazelf
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Sad thing is, they are great at every aspect of the WHFB game (and so cheap for what they do), they ignore a great part of the rules and make other armies suffer for such same rules. I usually only play demons if the other general is a close friend, they are very exhasperating to play against when in the hands of a WAC player...

Lerra
05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
There's got to be a way to play daemons fairly, even if it means giving extra points to your opponent. Where there is a will, there is a way =) I wouldn't discourage someone from the entire WHFB system just because they play daemons.

I hear players complaining about Khorne and Nurgle a lot, and it seems Slaanesh and Tzeentch are not as powerful. I don't have much personal experience with those builds, though.

Mazelf
05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
There's got to be a way to play daemons fairly, even if it means giving extra points to your opponent. Where there is a will, there is a way =) I wouldn't discourage someone from the entire WHFB system just because they play daemons.

I hear players complaining about Khorne and Nurgle a lot, and it seems Slaanesh and Tzeentch are not as powerful. I don't have much personal experience with those builds, though.

youre right. Im not saying Iflat out refuseto play against them, just that, on the hands of an OP/WAC theyre not fun to play against. Idont mind playing them (even if I mostly loose against them) when theyre being led by a nice, fun general.

notoriousFAT
05-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah im looking to play mainly slaanesh.

Lord Azaghul
05-25-2010, 06:58 AM

WPS: I have become a firm believer in the WPS composition scoring system. If everyone agrees to play at a certain point value skill and luck become greater factors then the army itself.