PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Now!

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Well, my local GW Store is hosting an Apoc game 'The Battle for Portola Ridge'.

Looks like it will be well organized (which is awesome, I haven't done a moderated Apoc game in a while. He's only allow certain formations and strategems. Yay!

Each Player can bring 5000 points.

What I have so far:

1440 Deathknell Orbital Strike Force
Terminator Squad
5 Terms, Assault Can, Chfst
Terminator Squad
Terminator Squad
5 Terms, Hv Flamer, Chfst
Terminator Squad
5 Terms, Hv Flamer
Terminator Squad
5 Terms, 5 TH+SS
Callistar, The Pure
Furioso, Ex Arm, Magna Grapple, Hv Flamer, Blood Talons
Dedicated Transport: Drop Pod, Deathwind, Locator Beacon

1375 Lucifer Armoured Task Force
Captain
Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol
Tactical Squad
10 Marines, Flamer, Powerfist, Plasma Pistol
Dedicated Transport: Land Raider Redeemer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armor
Baal
Extra Armor, Hv Bolters, Hunter Killer Missile, Storm Bolter
Predator Annihilator
Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armor
Predator Annihilator
Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armor

60 Damocles Command Rhino

300 Knight Titan: Lancer

Total: 3175

This gives me about ~1825 points left.

2 things I am required to bring (the Store Manager said I have to bring them). My Stormraven-- so far I am the only guy with one. And my Vindicator- because I converted the crap outta it.

So that's roughly ~450 points.

I have 8 Terminators left: 2 with Dual Lightning Claws and one with TH+SS (I could enlarge the Terminator Assault Squad), one Librarian with Storm Bolter, one with 2 Thunder Hammers, one with combi-melta and Chainfist, one Sanguinary Priest, and one that needs a little work (currently has 2 powerfists).

I also have 20 more Tactical Marines, 10 foot assault marines, a razorback, and a Honor Guard. 4 Land Speeders Tornado variants. 7 death co., and corbulo

Plus a Techmarine with Servitors.

I am just not sure what to do with the last 1500 points or so. The biggest thing that frustrates me is that I don't have any money to buy anything. I would like to build the Lancer formation from Lords of Battle, but the game is in about 10 days- don't think I have time to build 2 more Knights (I still need to finish the one I have!).

You guys have any ideas?

Hugz4Genestealers
05-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow, listen to the man talk about not being able to buy more titans because he doesn't have the time...

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 12:26 AM
Wow, listen to the man talk about not being able to buy more titans because he doesn't have the time...

These are Scratch built. no one sells Knight Titans (they are smaller than Warhounds). I said earlier, I don't have the money to buy anything at the moment.

Maaaaabye one box.

Hugz4Genestealers
05-20-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering why I'd never heard mention of a "Knight"-class titan before...

Sir Biscuit
05-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Turning the Tactical Marines into Stearnguard is an easy way to eat up some points, make them more effective, and doesn't require any conversion work. A couple of squads of Stearnguard can actually be quite effective in apocalypse, as they tend to go unnoticed.

I would also say that it's pretty easy to convert a few termies to Priests, which will really help out the Deathnell force. They're cool but pretty vulnerable, especially since they are bringing so few storm shields.

I'd put librarian+honor guard in the Storm Raven. That's scary, but not threatening enough I think in Apoc to get shot down immediately. If you don't go first, put it and something else in reserve first turn and have it come on with the Deathnell, you can DS it near the Drop Pod.

Really it's up to what you wanna play, but I'd find a way to spend that 1500 on things that either A.) Toughen you up. or B.) Help pop transports.

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 08:51 AM
cool.

I was thinking about sprinkling characters throughout the Deathknell force.

My biggest worry is actually airpower. I have NOTHING that can deal with it, and I know at least one Tau player that has three tigersharks.

I might convert my 4 land speeders into tempests. That'll give me something. All of them already have Assault Cannons, and I have tons of Cyclone Launcher bits.

Javin
05-20-2010, 12:49 PM
You can chew up points with AA mounts. Check with your store to see how much an AA upgrade would cost for your preds. Nothing like getting full range and BS on flyers :).

Tempests would be ok. Are they flyers? If so, upgrade and get the AA upgrade. Now you can dog fight :). Otherwise harsh language brings down speeders unless they out flank or deep strike.

See if you have friends that can lend you Dreds. The dred formation is amazing and even more so with BA dreds.

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 01:00 PM
You can chew up points with AA mounts. Check with your store to see how much an AA upgrade would cost for your preds. Nothing like getting full range and BS on flyers :).

Tempests would be ok. Are they flyers? If so, upgrade and get the AA upgrade. Now you can dog fight :). Otherwise harsh language brings down speeders unless they out flank or deep strike.

See if you have friends that can lend you Dreds. The dred formation is amazing and even more so with BA dreds.

The Imperial Armor FAQ that came out recently:
Tempest 120 points
Skimmer, Fast
11, 10, 10
Deep Strike
Assault Cannon
Twin-Linked Missile Launcher (Frag, Krak) with AA Mount

Not a flyer, but it deep strikes and has an AA mounted Missile Launcher. Next best thing, I guess! Gotta have them deep strike in behind (or near) a flyer. After that, the flyer is too fast to catch up to.

I think 3-4 Tempest will be a good idea- That's 480 points.

I have used the 'Ancients Assault Force' in the past. I don't know if I can use it: the Store Manager is Banning 'Flank March'. Overall, I agree with his decision- we are trying to make this game blow up everyone's models, not one side's worth of models. He's also banning Jammers, Disrupter Beacon, and Vortex Grenade. He told us that he would have to approve the use of any of these options that come through a Data Sheet. I might be able to get him to approve flank march only for the formation.

I also like the Sternguard suggestion, but I might not go with it. The Store Manager is doing something new with the Objectives. Each objective in your deployment is worth 1 point, the neutral objectives are 2, and the opponent's are 3. At the end of every turn, count victory points on an objective- the side with the most is claiming and gains the points for the round. Troops count as double victory points! Only models with a WS and non-super heavies can claim.

Javin
05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Sounds like drop pods on objectives may be worthwhile :).

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
I could treat my force as the 'Punisher'. Not care about objectives- that's what the Imperial Guard are for! And just purge the unclean across the battlefield. I could even ignore the objectives of the commanders... A Space Marine does what a Space Marine does...

In that way, I wouldn't take any troops. Just go around blastin' stuff.

Javin
05-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I think fluffy wise, the drop down and take the important stuff (objectives) is more SM. The daily war grind is what the IG are for!

thecactusman17
05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
"Only models with a weapons skill"

You heard it here, folks. Tyranid Spore Pod spam is going to win the living hell out of this event.

Tynskel
05-20-2010, 11:37 PM
"Only models with a weapons skill"

You heard it here, folks. Tyranid Spore Pod spam is going to win the living hell out of this event.

As far as I know, I am the only one with Tyranid Spores, but I am bringing my Space Marines instead. So, probably not. :)

Not a bad idea, though. However, I have a feeling those things would get obliterated pretty quickly.

What's going to be really interesting: the 'Metagame' roughly 50% of the players at this store are Tau! One guy has 50k points (I am not kidding-- 50k. He's the guy with the three Tigersharks.)

Tynskel
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Here it is! My Finalized Apoc List:

Battle for Portola Ridge
Strike Force Garibaldi, Code Name: “Doom Hammer”
DATASHEET/FORMATIONS 3260
100 Deathknell Orbital Strike Force
235 Terminator Squad TENACIOUS
235 Terminator Squad VIVEC
210 Terminator Squad ZEAL
205 Terminator Squad LORENZO
5 Terms, Hv Flamer
310 Terminator Squad CLAUDIO
7 Terms, 6 Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields, 1 Lightning Claws
165 “CALLISTAR, THE PURE”
Furioso, Hv Flamer, Magna Grapple, Blood Talons, Extra Armor
65 Dedicated Transport: “CALLISTAR”
Drop Pod, Deathwind, Locator Beacon
Total: 1525

200 Lucifer Armoured Task Force
135 Lieutenant KALON, Senior Sergeant of 5th Company
Captain, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol, Melta Bombs
215 Tactical Squad SOL, 1st Squad, 5th Company
10 Marines, Powerfist, Plasma Pistol, Flamer, Melta Bombs
265 Dedicated Transport: “CHARIOT OF IRON”
Land Raider Redeemer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armor
170 “FORCE OF HATRED”
Baal Predator, Hv Bolter Sponsons, Storm Bolter
195 “EMPEROR’S HAMMER”
Predator Annihilator, Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armor
195 “ABSOLUTE VENGEANCE”
Predator Annihilator, Lascannon Sponsons, Extra Armor
Total: 1375

60 “INSISTENCE”
Damocles Command Rhino

300 Sir EDWARD TEACH, Ally to the Sanguine Descendants
Knight Titan: Lancer

MISCELLANEOUS 1740
180 Epistolary LEXIMARTI
Librarian, Epistolary Upgrade, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Might of Heros, Unleashed Rage
175 Master TELIGON, Captain of 1st Company, Master of the Void (Fleet)
Captain, Terminator Armor, 2 Thunder Hammers
155 Master GARIBALDI, Captain of 5th Company, Master of Vigilance (Watch)
Captain, Terminator Armor, 2 Lightning Claws
SANGUINARY PRIESTHOOD
85 Sanguinary Priest SHAHARRIM
Terminator Armor, Power Weapon
105 Sanguinary High Priest THERALAS
Uses Corbulo Rules
285 'BURNING STAR'
Stormraven, Locator Beacon, Extra Armor, Typhoon Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Hurricane Bolters
180 ‘EMPATHY OF THE EMPEROR’
Vindicator, Extra Armor, Siege Shield
360 Land Speeder Squadron ‘LIGHTNING’
3 Tempest Land Speeders
215 Tactical Squad GAMMA, 2nd Squad, 5th Company
10 Marines, Powerfist, Plasma Pistol, Flamer, Melta Bombs

Tynskel
05-28-2010, 12:20 AM
Well, some stuff has changed. I can't get the Tempests built in time (which could be really bad if the enemy has any flyers). However, the GM is allowing me to use the Stormraven as a Flyer with armor 10, along with all of the standard thunderhawk drop assault rules (deep strike out of the vehicle and assault). So that'll be good. If I had a librarian dreadnought, I would totally attach him to the Stormraven!

So some changes-- I am going to take Dante with a squad of Sanguinary Guard in the Stormraven. I would like to bring 'Masters of the Chapter'-- I swear that Dante's formation is the best- 4 flying captains with infernus pistols and various Close Combat Weapons, an honor guard with Chapter banner, 4 Storm Shields 3 Meltas, and a Thunder Hammer, and Dante. Getting to land and melt something- and hit n' run ect--- soooooo goooooood! But, I don't have the models. :(

DATASHEET/FORMATIONS 3215
100 Deathknell Orbital Strike Force
235 Terminator Squad TENACIOUS
235 Terminator Squad VIVEC
210 Terminator Squad ZEAL
205 Terminator Squad LORENZO
5 Terms, Hv Flamer
310 Terminator Squad CLAUDIO
7 Terms, 6 Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields, 1 Lightning Claws
165 “CALLISTAR, THE PURE”
Furioso, Hv Flamer, Magna Grapple, Extra Armor
60 Dedicated Transport: “CALLISTAR”
Drop Pod, Lucius Pattern, Locator Beacon
Total: 1520

200 Lucifer Armoured Task Force
130 Lieutenant KALON, Senior Sergeant of 5th Company
Captain, Power Weapon, Infernus Pistol
210 Tactical Squad SOL, 1st Squad, 5th Company
10 Marines, Powerfist, Plasma Pistol, Flamer
265 Dedicated Transport: “CHARIOT OF IRON”
Land Raider Redeemer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armor
170 “FORCE OF HATRED”
Baal Predator, Hv Bolter Sponsons, Storm Bolter
180 “EMPEROR’S HAMMER”
Predator Annihilator, Lascannon Sponsons
180 “ABSOLUTE VENGEANCE”
Predator Annihilator, Lascannon Sponsons
Total: 1335

60 “INSISTENCE”
Damocles Command Rhino

300 Sir EDWARD TEACH, Ally to the Sanguine Descendants
Knight Titan: Lancer “BLACKBEARD”

MISCELLANEOUS 1785
180 Epistolary LEXIMARTI
Librarian, Epistolary Upgrade, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Might of Heros, Unleashed Rage
175 Master TELIGON, Captain of 1st Company, Master of the Void (Fleet)
Captain, Terminator Armor, 2 Thunder Hammers
155 Master GARIBALDI, Captain of 5th Company, Master of Vigilance (Watch)
Captain, Terminator Armor, 2 Lightning Claws
SANGUINARY PRIESTHOOD
85 Sanguinary Priest SHAHARRIM
Terminator Armor, Power Weapon
105 Sanguinary High Priest THERALAS
Uses Corbulo Rules
285 'BURNING STAR'
Stormraven, Locator Beacon, Extra Armor, Typhoon Launcher, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Hurricane Bolters
180 ‘EMPATHY OF THE EMPEROR’
Vindicator, Extra Armor, Siege Shield
135 Assault Squad LUNA, 9th Squad, 5th Company
5 Marines, Power Weapon, 2 Hand Flamers
20 Dedicated Transport: “WRATH OF THE EMPEROR”
Razorback
225 Commander DANTE
240 Sanguinary Guard “Lucius”
Infernus Pistol, Chapter Banner

Overall, minor changes (besides no tempests). Dante and the Guard in the Stormraven. The Assault Squad is in their razorback.

Tynskel
05-30-2010, 02:23 AM
Played the game! Great game! w00t! 106,000 points! Yay!

And here's to why I love 40k. A lot of times, people think there's not much strategy to the game-- but on a game this large, one just needs to be able to see an opening and exploit it...

465 points... Dante and the Sanguinary guard earned 1/4 of all the victory points for my team, securing victory! He shrugged off a gagillion wounds... and killed scores of opponents.

One thing that may have helped: I read Dante's 'Speech' (For 1100 hundred year I have fought... Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death) right before he and his guard leapt into battle.

Overall, I have played many Apocalypse games (along with many 40k games in general), but not one character is able to come close to the abilities that Dante possesses. Landing where you want him, killing what he wants, and leaving combat to go fight where he's needed. No other character has the flexibility that he brings to the table.

465 points won that game!

Hah, I begged my team captain to let me take the Legion Relic for Dante, but they were afraid that he would give the other side a point... too bad, I could have kill many many more things with that weapon... 11 str 10 attacks on the charge- hell yes!

Javin
05-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Well done!

Tynskel
06-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Some Statistics:

106,000 points altogether.

I killed:
~4100 points from the titan (the titan, and all of the infantry and tanks- all due to the Terminators Kicking butt)
~420 The Tzeentch Chaos Marine Squad that Dante and the Sanguinary Guard killed.
~620 Farseer, Guardians, and Deff Koptas (the Damocles Command Rhino's Orbital Strike--- I had to make 2 Perils of the Warp, so I decided to assassinate this guy!--ended up helping our NUMEROUS psykers on our team!)
~ 270 Harlequins (Titan's Battle Cannon)
~125 Chaplain (Dante Slaughtered this guy)
~160 4 Assault Terminators (Dante and Sanguniary Guard-- silly Storm Shields!)
~250 Monolith
~810 3 Squads of 15 Necron Warriors (Flamestorm Cannons on the Land Raider, Baal, and my Tactical Squad)
~200 Necon Lord
~100 From 3 of Calgar's Honor Guard (Vindicator)
~500 From Wiping out 2 Tactical Squads (Flamestorm Cannons and the Tactical Squad--- Squad Sol was kicking Butt.)
Total ~7500

I lost:
1520 Deathknell
180 Epistolary Leximarti
155 Master Garibaldi
175 Master Teligon
85 Sanguinary Priest Shaharrim
285 'Burning Star' (Stormraven)
180 'Empathy of the Emperor' (Vindicator)
155 Squad Luna and Razorback (5 man Assault Squad)
240 Sanguinary Guard 'Lucius'
Total: 2975

Kill point ratio- 2.5: 1 Sanguine Descendants
Killed 14% of the opposing enemy force!

I also claimed 22% of all the objective points for our team (6 out of 27). The opposing team had 23 points.