PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Marines list for 'Ard Boyz Semis

BigRedOne82
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
OK, without having seen the scenarios (which will likely necessitate some small changes in my list), I have come up with the following:

Lord, MoN, Plaguebringer, combi-melta = 160

Kharn = 165

GD = 100

4x Termie w/ HF, PF, 3x combi-melta = 150

4x Termie w/ HF, PF, 3x combi-plas = 150

9x Plague Marine w/ champ, PF, 2x plasma in Rhino w/ HL = 327

9x PM w/ champ, PF, 2x plasma, Icon in Rhino w/ HL = 332

9x PM w/ champ, PW, 2x melta, Icon in Rhino w/ combi-bolter = 302

9x PM as above = 302

3x Oblits = 225

Vindi w/ combi-bolter = 130

Defiler w/ HL = 155

TOTAL = 2498

A couple of thoughts on the list:

I have used DPs in the past, but have found their lifespans to be extremely short, and 150+ points is a lot to lose for nothing. That's why I've switched to foot HQs that I can hide in the Rhinos filled with T5, FNP PMs. Although the foot lords tend to die easily in HtH (5+ I and no EW), at least they should most likely get to take something with them first. And the GD provides almost as much killing power as the DP (although isn't as survivable), but is much more reliable in making it into HtH.

The termies aren't true termicides; I intend for them to DS off the PMs' Icons and lend their fire in support. Five melta/plasmas plus 14 bolter shots and possibly the HF can see off just about anything. Their PWs also are extremely useful in helping the PMs through tough assaults in the following turns.

I like the solid core of PMs for Troops to take and hold objectives, but I'm considering swapping the two plasma squads for two CMS squads with a lascannon to try and pop opposing vehicles if I get first turn. Otherwise, I will keep the whole army in reserve against a mech IG, or shooty SM or Eldar list. Thoughts?

The heavies are just an eclectic mix of the shootiest stuff I own. Since they can all move and fire, I will keep them in reserve against a shooty army if I go second, otherwise just start leveling stuff. Hopefully they will also draw fire away from the Rhinos, which are my primary threat IMO, especially when they start dropping termies in.

What do you guys think? Btw, I won my local pre-lims with a 4th ed. style foot only PM/Berserker/NM army, but I have no doubts that it wouldn't stand up to what I will likely face in the semis so I'm hoping for some help with this new, hopefully improved list. Please try to format criticisms more along the lines of "I would take more Troops" or "take AC Havocs instead of the Vindi" (btw, both thoughts that I'm currently entertaining), and less along the lines of specific weapons load-outs or really drastic changes, because I'm working from a fixed pool of models and don't have infinite resources to improve this thing (ie, I would have already put 9x Oblits in the list if I had them, but I don't). Thanks.

Tynskel
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I like combi-plasma terms. I wish my terminators could do that!

The list seems to have a coherent feel to it. My biggest worry is that you have little long range anti-tank. I'd hate to say this, but I think you should consider replacing the Vindicator with some sort of anti-tank/tranksport (I am in love with that tank!). You have redundancy with the vindicator from Termies with combi-plasmas and a defiler.

The Poor Man's Annihilator might a good swap, same points as the Vindicator:

130 Predator Destructor
Lascannon Sponsons

BigRedOne82
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I love the combi-plasma terminators, too. They did really well for me in the pre-lims (a loyalist termie squad, a Swarmlord, and a Crisis suit commander and bodyguard). As for the Predator, I like your thinking. If I have to keep it in reserve, at least it can come on from the table edge and pop something right away, while the Vindi probably won't have range to anything until it advances for a turn or two. The only small problem is it is still on the sprue, as is the Defiler, so now I have two vehicles to build before the Semis (and a Banehammer to build for my club's Apoc game over Memorial Day weekend to boot). I guess I better get to work :D

vutall
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know my CSM armies very well, as the only chaos player we had (coincidentally, my old room mate) moves away 2 years ago.

However, I do worry about one thing. You have incredibly tough troops, but only 4 of them. (Unless there is something I am missing)

I would seriously consider getting all 6 slots filled if at all possible.

BigRedOne82
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I had all six filled before, but I didn't have enough firepower so I had to cut some stuff to get all my heavies. What do you think I should drop to put more PMs (or CSMs) in?

DarkLink
05-23-2010, 11:29 AM
If you really needed 60 plague marines to have enough durable troops, then every single other army in the game would be screwed.

40 is fine.