PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boyz Semi-Finals

vutall
05-21-2010, 04:46 PM
So, since I didn't do to well with my sisters, I am trying a new army for Semi-Finals, Foot slogging power armor!
HQ:
Pedro Cantor: 175

Grandmaster (Daemonhunter Ally)
Psycannon
Psychic Hood
9 Terminators
psycannon
=630
---------------
Troops:
Tactical squad
+5
flamer
missile
power weapon
bolt pistol
=185

Tactical squad
+5
flamer
missile
power weapon
bolt pistol
=185

Tactical squad
+5
flamer
missile
power weapon
bolt pistol
=185

Tactical squad
+5
flamer
missile
power weapon
bolt pistol
=185

Storm Troopers (Daemonhunter Ally)
10 Strong 100
2 Melta Guns
Rhino
Extra Armor
Smoke
=178

Grey Knights (Daemonhunter Ally)
9 Knights
2 Psycannon
Justicar
=325
------------------
Elite:
Dreadnought
Multi Melta
CCw
Drop Pod
locator beacon
Storm Bolter
=150
--------------------
Fast Attack:
Grey Knights (Daemonhunter Ally)
9 Knights
2 Incinerator
Justicar
=295

Thoughts?

DarkLink
05-21-2010, 05:19 PM
It strikes me that the only things that can kill a land raider in the whole list are the ISTs and the dread. You'd be lucky to kill any Eldar skimmers, and this is a dream for an IG player with lots of pieplates. And getting units into your opponent's deployment zone will be tough if the scenario calls for it.

BigRedOne82
05-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I ran an ALL foot Chaos cult marine (mainly PMs) for the pre-lims and won, but I don't think that will work again in the semis (much as I'd like it to). I do like to see someone else trying it though--stay strong brother! I think your army will work well against Orks and 'Nids (either variety as you have lots of firepower), and you'll probably win more than you lose against other MEQ opponents. I think you'll struggle against the MEQ busting firepower of the Eldar and Tau, and you'll be totally hosed by meched out IG (especially the Leafblower-type), but who wouldn't?!

If you do run this list, I think the Chimera (and its STs) and the Dread are just going to get smoked. Everyone is going to have a ton of AT weapons, and they're just going to go straight for those two targets. I think the strength of the all foot army is it renders large parts of lots of peoples' lists useless, or at least relegates them to plinking 16 pt SMs with their expensive lascannons or railguns. So drop the two vehicles and add some more big guns. A couple squads of lascannon devastators if you have them, or maybe some melta bike squads with some MM attack bikes. Or some DSing landspeeders with MMs; sure they're vehicles, but you should be able to drop them right next to a tank and smoke it (if you hit). Just watch out for those Imperial armies running a 2-mystic Inquisitor to shoot at DSers.

Also, if you have the models, how about upgrading some of those tactical squads to Sternguard since you're using Pedro Kantor? Load them up with meltas and then put them in Drop Pods to take the fight to the enemy. Or, you can just take them as replacements for the units I mentioned in the last paragraph, since they'll be great for killing tanks.

I'm mainly a CSM player, but I dabble with their Loyalist brethren from time to time, so that's just my $0.02...

vutall
05-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Someday I would love to run just straight codex marines and no vehicles, but the models I have above are all the normal SM's I own. I have a ton of dreadnoughts, and over 100+ Grey Knights, but they dont really "Count As" anything in a normal SM army, especially since I am allying them in.

Myplan is someday to replace the troop grey knights with tacs, buy some stern guard since i am running perdo, but for now I cant get any sterns.

BigRedOne82
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Fair enough. I would still get rid of the Chimera/STs (they'll never get close enough to use their meltas anyway) and Dread though. Then I would add more GKs instead. Use psycannons instead of incinerators to try to get as much range as possible, as long as you have the models. If you really insist on using the dreads, run three of them at least. And hope you don't face mech IG...

vutall
05-21-2010, 11:56 PM
I will seriously consider taking it out. The thought behind it is first turn it forces them to deal with something (expendable on my end) or if they dont, big enough to cause damage on it's own. The stormtroopers I will probably get rid of, but I would have to get some points from elsewhere to afford another Grey Knight squad.

DarkLink
05-22-2010, 01:12 AM
One dreadnought isn't hard to kill, and it's not like your opponent's anti-tank is going to have anything else to shoot at.

vutall
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, if I dropped the Storm Troopers AND the dreadnought + Drop Pod, I would have enough to field a 10 man PAGK w Psycannon squad.

BigRedOne82
05-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Do you have more drop pods? I think running three dreadnaughts w/ MM in drop pods has some merit especially since you have no other AT. That gives you two on the first turn to drop in and slag some tanks.

Also, do you have landspeeders with MMs? If you do, take those, put locator beacons on the drop pods and then you can accurately DS in more cheap MMs to pop tanks or otherwise disrupt.

You can also land the drop pods right in front of his biggest threats' LoS to your troops--then he'll have to relocate to clear his LoS (reducing his shooting effectiveness) or waste a turn shooting a 35 pt (45 with beacon) drop pod.

vutall
05-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I have 5 pods total, and an additional MM+CCW dread. Other dreads are TLLC/Missile (3) and the metal space wolf dread from back in the day (I think its CCW+Assault Cannon)

What would you suggest I drop to get the points for them?

Here is all the Space Marine and Grey Knights I own. Keep in mind Ard Boyz is WYSIWYG

Space Marines:
28 Bolter Marines
4 Missile Launcher Marines
4 Flamer Marines
4 CCW+Pistol Marines
3 AOBR Sergeants (CCW+Pistol on hip)
3 AOBR Captains (CCW+Bolter)
8 Power Fist + Storm Bolter Terminators
2 Power Sword + Storm Bolter Terminators
1 Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield Terminator
2 Multi Melta+CCW Dreadnoughts
4 Missile Launcher+TLLC Dreadnoughts
1 Assault Cannon + CCW Dreadnought
1 Librarian in Terminator Armor (Staff+ Storm Bolter
3 Storm Bolter Drop Pods
2 Deathwind Drop Pods
4 Rhino
3 Land Raider Crusader w pintile melta, 1 with hunter killer
3 Land Raiders
1 Land Raider Terminus (3 TLLC, 2 LC, pintile storm bolter, hunter killer missile)

Grey Knights:
61 PAGK (Nemesis+Storm Bolter)
14 Justicars (Nemesis +Storm Bolter)
15 PAGK Psycannon
19 Incinerator Grey Knights
2 Sterns (Terminator, Nemesis + Storm Bolter)
1 Grandmaster (Nemesis+Psycannon)
1 Brother Captain (Nemesis + Storm Bolter)
2 Brother Captains (Nemesis + Incinerator)
1 Brother Captain (Nemesis+ Psycannon)
18 Terminators (Nemesis + Storm)
3 Terminator (Incinerator + Storm)
3 Terminator (Psycannon + Nemesis)

I also have 2 Immolators, but since the weapons arn't glued down, I can remove them and make then Rhinos. I also have a huge force of sisters, and a small force of guardsmen, but I am not sure if I could "Count As" them as anything..maybe as sterguard? I mean, I have the celestian models which have closed helmets, hard to tell they are female..

BigRedOne82
05-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Hmmm, not sure the points (don't have my book or the time right now), but how about the following:

HQ - Pedro Kantor

HQ - GK Chapter Master and Termies

Elite - Dread w/ MM in Drop Pod

Elite - Dread w/ MM in Drop Pod

Troop - Tac Sqad in Drop Pod

Troop - Tac Squad in Drop Pod

Fast - GKs w/ Psycannons

If you need more points, add the STs w/ melta in the Chimera back in--you've got plenty of other distractions now; or another GK Termie squad as an elites. The advantage of this army is that you can start with the whole thing in reserve--now you don't have to worry about those pesky alpha strike armies that get first turn; even if you win the dice roll, I would still go second just to make them "waste" a turn. You've also added more AT, but you still have loads of bodies in PA. Locator beacons in the drop pods will make sure your GKs and Termies can get where you want them, too. If you have Tigurius or a psyker model that could "count as," I would run him instead of Pedro to make sure you get your reserves when you want them (I think most 'Ard Boyz games only go about 4 turns, so you don't want stuff hanging around in reserve for too long). What do you think about that list?

BigRedOne82
05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
BTW, I tried to keep the spirit of your army (lots of bodies in PA) while adapting it with what you had in your collection to make it more competitive in the 'Ard Boyz environment.

BigRedOne82
05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I would still put in MM landspeeders for fast tank killiness if you have them.

vutall
05-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Hrm, not quite my style. I played Drop Pod before and I don't really like it.

However, I did just think of something..

Troop
2 Tac Squads (10 Man Flamer, Missile, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol) = 185 Each
2 Grey Knight Squads (10 Man, 2 Psycannon) = 325 Each
2 Sister Squads (10 Women, 2 Melta) = 130 Each

Elite
2 Sternguard squads (10 Man, and due to models: Flamer+Missile, Bolt Pistol, CCW) =260 Each

Fast
1 Grey Knight Squad (10 Man, 2 Incinerators) =295

HQ
Pedro: 175
=2270

Have some points remain for maybe Rhino's on sister? (would buy it for Tac Squad, but load sisters into it on turn 1, +35pts each) =2340
Then Dreadnought Multi Melta+ CCW, Drop Pod+locator Beacon (150)
=2490

That is 91 Power Armor Models, 2 tanks, 1 drop pod, and 1 dread...

BigRedOne82
05-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Drop the one GK squad and take the ST w/ meltas in Chimera (now that you have that transport/melta squad thing going). Then drop the missile launcher from the other Sternguard squad put them in a drop pod, and use that as Pedro's bodyguard. Take another drop pod w/ MM dread, and use the rest of your marines to make a 2x missile launcher devastator squad. I think that gives you a good amount of bodies in your gun line, with a few fast moving melta units to deal with tanks and be a flexible reserve, and the drop pod dreads, Pedro/Sternguard and FA GKs to take the fight to the enemy.

This has been interesting working on this army with you, because you seem a lot like me--a fixed (but somewhat large) pool of models to draw from and interested in making the best army possible from those. You don't seem like one of the guys that goes out and buys/builds/paints new models for a tourney, and neither am I. BTW, I have the thread about the 'Ard Boyz Chaos list up on these forums right now if you want to check it out.