PDA

View Full Version : How good is Forgeworld Background?

ThePov
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
As above, how highly do you rate the background stories in Forgeworld books? I have little money and few actual gaming oppurtunties, it would likely be folly of me to actually buy FW models, but as an unabashed 40K fiction junkie, I'm considering buying the Forgeworld books, most likely the three Siege of Vraks books, for that alone. Would I be wasting my money?

Lord General Xi Lutor
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Hell no. I'd buy em all again; if I had justification and the money. I frequently find myself reading and rereading the IA books. The Siege of Vraks books are especially good. I have yet to read the third, of course, but the first two haven't disappointed. IA vol IV is the most interesting format; it is written in the format of dispatches from Inq. Lok in the incursion zone.

Skeletay
08-10-2009, 12:24 AM
The Imperial Armour books are awesome. I have III, IV and V and will get the rest eventually. They add a bit of realism to the 40k world that you don't get from the regular background stuff. I have to disagree with general xi though, so far IV was my least favorite (it's not bad though).

Bigred
08-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Taros may be their best effort. Its a small enough war that they could cover it from start to finish in 1 oversized book. I've enjoyed Vraks, but it really flet like it has been "stretched out" a tad to fill 3 books. 2 should have done it.

That said, Vraks is still awesome, but I have a soft spot for Taros. The narrative campaign books go into such detail that they really bring the 40k universe to life in a way you just can't do in standard codexes or even novels. Its like reading WW2 campaign history.

Emperorsmercy
08-10-2009, 02:51 AM
I quite like the look of volume 4- the Anphelion project, i think its called. It might just be bacause I like tyranids. :)

ThePov
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Hmmmm... sounds like I should start saving up for as many as I can get. Thanks all!

Faultie
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Taros may be their best effort. Its a small enough war that they could cover it from start to finish in 1 oversized book. I've enjoyed Vraks, but it really flet like it has been "stretched out" a tad to fill 3 books. 2 should have done it.

That said, Vraks is still awesome, but I have a soft spot for Taros. The narrative campaign books go into such detail that they really bring the 40k universe to life in a way you just can't do in standard codexes or even novels. Its like reading WW2 campaign history.

Agreed on all counts. Taros really brings the war to life, covers it like a real historical account of a real war would, and yet keeps the 40k feel to it throughout. The narrative campaign is awesome, the models and additional units created are great (Knarlocs, Gue'vesa, etc.), and the overall composition is fantastic. Not a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

Lord General Xi Lutor
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
The Imperial Armour books are awesome. I have III, IV and V and will get the rest eventually. They add a bit of realism to the 40k world that you don't get from the regular background stuff. I have to disagree with general xi though, so far IV was my least favorite (it's not bad though).

Not my favorite, just the most interesting format. Vraks is my fav :D

DuskRaider
08-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I have IA 5 and 6, and I can say the background Forge World uses for the Vraks campaign is great. They certainly make you feel the despair and hell these men (on both sides) are going through. While I agree they could have only made it into a book or two, I think we would have lost a lot and I don't think the lists would have been quite as good. I just wish they'd stop releasing models 2 years ahead of the rules, lol.

DevilUknow
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
The presentation of the Forgeworld books is fantastic; they remind me of my Dad's History of WW2 books i poured over when i was a kid.

The Vraks series does feel like it suffers from pretty bad decompression (especially for the scale of the campaign).

Though, for 100 bones (Canadian) you better REALLY want them (or just flip through them at your favorite local hobby store during slow games like I do)

Magos
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I rather like them, but I dont have enough Forgeworld stuff to justify their purchase.

Nabterayl
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
The presentation of the Forgeworld books is fantastic; they remind me of my Dad's History of WW2 books i poured over when i was a kid.

I second (third?) all the opinions in this thread. My favorite part about the Imperial Armour fiction is that it's all clearly written by a military history junkie and often mimics specific battles in actual history, but also clearly written by a 40K junkie who really nails (in my opinion) the "look and feel" of the universe. The result is 40K fiction that feels a lot more believable and intelligent to me than most of the other stuff. Not that all 40K fiction is trying to be believable, but the Imperial Armour books provide a rare moment in 40K fiction where the author isn't trying to present anything stylized, mythical, or epic - he's just telling you what actually happened, as if he were a historian. As a fluff junkie, that really appeals to me.

chromedog
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
I have 1-4 and they are a good read.

I have ZERO interest in things chaotic, pustulent or krieg, so I've skipped the vraks books.

TSINI
08-15-2009, 10:23 AM
i bought Imperial Armour Vol 1 when it first came out, it may be slightly outdated now, due to the apocalypse books and new codex leaving many many vehicles in the dark and in desperate need of an update. but the fluff for every individual vehicle was amazing

there was so much detail in how the vehicles worked, what ammunition they caried, and how they were used tactically, formations were detailed and some great short stories from armoured companies.

becoming a student i have been unable to buy any of the "campaign specific" books. but i will definately be catching up on all of them over the next few months