PDA

View Full Version : Dual Stormraven BA 1500pts

RebelGrot
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

I want to play something a little different and need an excuse to convert a Stormraven (or 2), what do people think of the following:

Reclusiarch; 155
Jump Pack

Furioso; 150
Heavy Flamer, Magna Grapple

Sanguinary Priest; 75
Jump Pack

Sanguinary Priest; 75
Jump Pack

RAS; 230
+5, Melta, Thunder Hammer

RAS; 235
+5, Flamer x2, Hand Flamer, Power Fist

RAS; 110
Melta

Stormraven; 230
Lascannon, Multi-melta, Extra Armour, Locator Beacon

Stormraven; 240
Plasma Cannon, Typhoon Missile, Extra Armour

I know two Ravens is a chunk at 1500 but I've tried to cover anti-mech with the meltas, lascannons, p.fist, hammer and by leaving the Dread with 'fists. Anti-troop relies on getting the charge, re-rolls from the Reclusiarch and FNP (luck in other words?)

Anyway, feedback more than welcome - Are the Stormravens just going to die turn 1 or 2? Are they better as back of the field gunships or do they work as transports if there's a few RAS bouncing along with them to be a distraction?

DarkLink
05-22-2010, 09:16 PM
They seem to work very well as gunships under two sets of circumstances:

1. You've dropped down a bunch of other stuff that is a much more immediate concern to your opponent (drop pods, fast vindicators to the face, charging land raider, etc)

2. You've already dropped off their cargo. Then the enemy had a bunch more to worry about.

Also, if they come on from reserves, they're guaranteed at least one round of shooting. With all their guns, that's a lot of shots.

In short, throw stuff in your opponent's face. Bring them on from reserves (if your opponent has little to no long ranged shooting, don't even bother with reserves), unload with them. Then next turn, dash forward and drop off their cargo. Then proceed to see them ignored for the rest of the game, unless your opponent manages to wipe out the rest of your army.

Try that, or some variation of that, and they should work out pretty well.

Do note that this is from what I've seen other people have success with from battle reports, and haven't tried it myself since I don't play BA. So if it doesn't work, don't be afraid to try something else.

Tynskel
05-22-2010, 11:15 PM
I think your Dread should use the Blood Talons. Realistically, you have a lot of anti-tank, but you are thin on the anti-infantry. The 2 stormravens put out a serious amount of anti-tank (transport) firepower, especially the way you have equipped them.

RebelGrot
05-23-2010, 02:50 AM
Coolio, thanks guys.

Darklink - you pretty much summed up the only tactics I'd so far thought of - keep them out the way, dash them in and unload, keep them out the way again. I think if I focus from one side I'll hopefully be out of range/in cover from of at least a third to a half of any troublesome guns. There goes relying on a little luck again - ha

Tynskel - I had a good debate over the blood talons (as, ideally, I want to use them. I'd also forgotten the additional anti-mech provided by the bloodstrikes) but went with fists as a combo with the magna-grapple (which I've also not tested). If I switch to talons is it worth still having the grapple or should I drop that for an extra toy for the RAS or Sang. Priest? P.S thanks for not telling me to scrap the 'ravens and switch a bunch of tanks in - I know how you love them so ;)

Anyone else had a play with the Stormraven and want to give me any other hints to add to these fine gent's?

Sandman2663
05-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I think your Dread should use the Blood Talons. Realistically, you have a lot of anti-tank, but you are thin on the anti-infantry. The 2 stormravens put out a serious amount of anti-tank (transport) firepower, especially the way you have equipped them.

I agree with Tynskel, the Talon Furioso is unbelievable (HF, MG, EA) just be sure to support its unloading with other things to screen. I use a 5 man Assault sq.
The SR's loadout I have found to be the best for the gunship tactic is the TLLas and Typ ML, the Plasma Cannon is a little close and I don't like scatter...but I was looking to try it out.Make sure you keep the EA...

Hi all,
I know two Ravens is a chunk at 1500 but I've tried to cover anti-mech with the meltas, lascannons, p.fist, hammer and by leaving the Dread with 'fists. Anti-troop relies on getting the charge, re-rolls from the Reclusiarch and FNP (luck in other words?)

Anyway, feedback more than welcome - Are the Stormravens just going to die turn 1 or 2? Are they better as back of the field gunships or do they work as transports if there's a few RAS bouncing along with them to be a distraction?

2 SR's are great at 1500...I reserve them, ALWAYS. I support mine with a Speeder MMx2 and/or HFx2
If played correctly, you don't have to get out of the SR's vs horde.
Storm Raven are very resilient. Keep them above the 36" range and you will have them all game.
I carry jump troops and use them as Gunships, with the JP's able to assault 20" from the SR.
Remember BA is a finesse army, keep your opponent occupied and disrupt his game when the SR's come board.
List looks solid, consider dropping a priest for a Speeder.

Tynskel
05-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I would still keep the magna grapple:

1) you will still have 2 anti-tank/transport shots, the meltagun and the grapple
2) Str 6 (or 7 with Furious Charge) with 4 attacks against back armor: on most tanks, they will be in trouble anyhow.

Yes, I am a huge fan of tanks...

BUT, I am a fan of just about any type of armor. If you have 2 Stormravens to play with, you should use them!

:)

I have been using a proxy for mine. My model is almost completed, and I think it looks pretty sweet. I will probably post some pictures in the modeling section soon. There have been a lot of Stormravens, but I went with a change in direction with mine- so it should be, if anything, different!

RebelGrot
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Ok, talons it is - good points well made!

Tynskel - I'd love to proxy but I really rarely get a game - hence asking you lot! Different design = good! Will be great to see a 'new' take on our mysterious flyer. I've got a couple of solid ideas for construction but knowing my luck I'll get started the same week the official one arrives!

Sandman - I like the idea of the 'speeder in there too - I'd only really have the points for a single MM on one (and can add Ex. Ar. to the dread) for the cost of a Sang though. The added anti tank and lower target priority than the raven would maybe mean I could stick with the standard shooty options on one raven for some extra anti infantry.

Regarding entering from reserve - is bringing them on 'normally' (maybe at full speed for the cover save?) the way to go - more certainty and shooting options straight away opposed to deepstriking yes?

Sorry for the quiz, might as well ask while I'm here!

Nikephoros
05-23-2010, 04:02 PM
The problem I see is that assault squads aren't that scary. Much like Land Raiders, its whats in the storm raven that makes them such a threat, not the vehicle itself.

I'd change the Chaplain to a Librarian with Shield, and ditch the third 5 man assault squad. Use the extra points to buy a second Dred, and give both dreds blood talons with meltagun. Make both your big assault squads tri-melta. That way you can drop your payload and potentiall pop 4 transports and kill whats inside in assault.

BrPrometheus
05-28-2010, 10:10 PM
So I have been playing the strm raven for some time now and the thing I have found out is that you cannot count on them lasting. The second thing I have foud is that for their points they are not worth it for their killing ability but are worth it for their ability to deliver units to combat. Thus what you put in the raven is critical and it is here that I think your list could do with some improvement. The other thing I have found is that the units he will be aiming at the troops will not be the same units he is aiming at the gunships and so they will die. I would count on mounting the units in the storm raven. The list I think you should consder is the following:

Storm Raven 1 w/ extra armor 215

Storm Raven 2 w/ extra armor 215

(spending any extra points on these guys is worthless in my oppinion as they do not offer much in value)

Hvy Dread Multi-Melta 105 (rides in sr1) This is the guy you send after his big tanks, The multi meta shot followed up by a charge with a power fist.

DC Dread with Talons 125 (rides in sr2) does after enemy heavy infantry and such.

8 Death Co 2 power weapons, 2 power fists 240 (rides in sr1) This is your uber hit unit. The key is deliovering this unit into your oppoenents face.

10 Assualt Troops (no jump packs) 2 X melta, vet w/fist, infernus pistol 250 (rides in sr2) You loose the 35 point benefit as the storm raven is not a dedicated transport but this is the unit you are moving toward your opponents objective. He has a choice generally shoot down the uber death unit of dc or shoot down the unit that can actually take objectives and kill tanks when they pop out.

10 Assualt troops 2 x flamer 200 . Combat squad. These guys are not here to help the combat out but to hide out and grabyou objectives.

Sang Priest 50. Just to add the abilities keep him safe in sr 1 and then behind your assualting lines as much as possible.

Librarian 100 (rides in sr 1). Shield and lance or sword. The shield is there for when the vehicle cannot move 18 and still nees the cover save or if you get shot out of the vehicle. Lance or sword depending on your tastes. I have preffered sword lately but I do not hav the second dreadnaught in my army and so I need the str 10.

RebelGrot
05-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Thus what you put in the raven is critical and it is here that I think your list could do with some improvement.

Storm Raven 1 w/ extra armor 215

Storm Raven 2 w/ extra armor 215

Hvy Dread Multi-Melta 105

DC Dread with Talons 125

8 Death Co 2 power weapons, 2 power fists 240

10 Assualt Troops (no jump packs) 2 X melta, vet w/fist, infernus pistol 250

10 Assualt troops 2 x flamer 200.

Sang Priest 50

Librarian 100

The problem I see is that assault squads aren't that scary... its whats in the storm raven that makes them such a threat, not the vehicle itself.

I'd change the Chaplain to a Librarian with Shield

O.K, so I'm spotting a small theme here!

I've STILL not managed to get a game in and figure any of this out so the continued suggestions are appreciated!

To both you guys, I see your point entirely - ensuring that little extra security for the Ravens can only be good. I've just never, in 16 years, played a librarian (!) so I'm a little set in my ways, especially as I love the chaplains!

BrPrometheus, I really like that list. For the sacrifice of a couple of Raven bits, 5 marines and a Sang Priest I can get the Death Company AND another Dread in there...good call! I initially saw it and thought you'd dropped another assault squad and left me with 18 troops but it actually has more than my original list.

Speaking of the original list, one glaring mistake I made is planning 10 man jump pack assault squads in each Raven, when of course the max is 6! Oops , got a little carried away!

You suggest the Sang Priest in with the Death Co, wouldn't he be better off with the 10 man assault squad as the Death Co already have FNP and FC? And would you think it maybe worth keeping the jump packs on them and combat squadding - one in, one out? Means the Raven they're in can keep moving a bit more than if they have on get out on foot - how've you found that working for you?

Lastly, of the free options (heavy b or melta, asscan or las/plas) what would folk go for? One anti troop and one anti mech?

Ugh. I need a GAME!!