PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Tyranid horde-ish list - haven't played 'Nids in 5th and could use some advice!

Captain Bubonicus
05-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi, y'all! I had a ton of old 2nd ed. Nids left over from back in the day, and with the price hikes coming I bit the bullet and bought some new models to try to get a working 'Nid army put together. I'm not at all familiar with the way 'Nids work in the current rules-set, so I could use some advice. Here's what I've got so far (edited once):

HQ (425 pts)
Hive Tyrant (Lash Whip, Bonesword, Heavy Venom Cannon, Paroxysm, Psychic Scream, Hive Commander, Old Adversary) (245)
Tyrant Guard (X3) (Rending claws, Scything talons) (180)

Elites (455 pts)
Hive Guard Brood (X3) (150)
Deathleaper (140)
Venomthrope Brood (X3) (165)

Troops (888 pts)
Tyranid Warrior Brood (X5) (Rending claws, Deathspitter) (200)
Tyranid Warrior Brood (X4) (Rending claws, pair of Boneswords, Toxin sacs) (200)
Termagant Brood (X18) (Fleshborer, 1XStrangleweb) (100)
Termagant Brood (X18) (Fleshborer, 1XStrangleweb) (100)
Hormagant Brood (X18) (Toxin sacs) (144)
Hormagant Brood (X18) (Toxin sacs) (144)

Fast Attack (60)
Gargoyle Brood (X10) (60)

Heavy Support (420)
Carnifex Brood (X1) (Scything talonsX2, Frag spines, Adrenal glands, Bio Plasma) (195)
Carnifex Brood (X1) (Scything talons, Stranglethorn cannon) (180)
Biovore Brood (X1) (45)

Total pts: 2248

I had intended to use it as a very inelegant "run up, shoot you and assault you" sort of force, based largely around the Hormagants and Termagants - the Tyranid Warriors are there to provide synapse and some fire support with their devourers, and the bonesword armed 'Nids are there to throw their weight into any battles that masses of Hormagants can't handle. The Tyrant's "Old Adversary" is intended to help buff the masses of gaunts in assault, while the venomthropes are there to give the mass of gaunts some "mobile cover." There's a Hive Guard brood, the two Carnifexes and the Tyrant's Heavy Venom Cannon to try to deal with enemy vehicles, but I know I'll have trouble dealing with any vehicle-heavy armies.

I've got a bunch of Genestealers, too - but I ran out of Troops slots for 'em. Do you think I should sub anything out for some 'Stealers?

What do you think of the weapon options and other "extras?" Did I spend for stuff I don't need, or miss anything crucial? What would you suggest I drop if I go down to 2,000 or 1850pts? What would I add if I bumped it up to 2,500?

Again, any help - either from 'Nid vets or from those who fight against 'Nids - would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tynskel
05-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I would get adrenal glands on the Screamer Killer fex: Getting I4 on the charge with Str 10 re-rolling to hit is pretty sweet.

Captain Bubonicus
05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Hmmm - good call. I'll pull the frag spines from the second Carnifex to free up the points.