PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question: "But it goes to 11."

Galadren
05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
So this has come up once or twice in various places and I figured I'd ask the question here BEFORE I get to BoLScon.

So, as a Black Templars player my Venerable Dreadnoughts get veteran skills, and I usually run it with Furious Charge. As we all know, Furious Charge grants both +1 Initiative and +1 Strength to a unit that charges. So as a result, the Dreadnought already at Strength 10 goes to Strength 11 on the charge.

Now, there is a precedent set in the Chaos Space Marines FAQ where a Bloodletter grants more than 10 attacks, thereby raising a stat above 10 temporarily. So I've heard two arguments on this:

1) Precedent has been set and GW has said that a stat can be raised temporarily as it is not a permanent change to said stat.

2) That's for Chaos Space Marines and only applies to them as it's not in your FAQ.

So I'm curious as to what the ruing would be if I used this ability at BoLScon.

Thanks

Herald of Nurgle
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Attacks is a special exception to the rule, I believe. Strength 10 is the maximum, as are 10 Wounds and WS 10 and so on.

Would be awesome if it worked otherwise though :P (Though I daresay Str 11 should become Str D immediately, albeit without the modifiers to tables)

mathhammer
05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
The rule book doesn't make any exceptions for attacks.
It just simple states that wargear aka stat line modifiers can not go above 10. In the case of furious charge as in the demon weapon, the model's stat line isn't being modified it is the number you are using for the action at hand. A third example was the older Tyranid's codex bio plasma. It could go off at Initiative 12. So as a modifier to the stat line used in the heat of the moment it's legal. As a permanent modifier to the statline though it stops at 10. (This also follows the rulings from GW on the subject)

Darkwynn
05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
It will stay top out at Str 10. Stat lines max out at 10 and the only exception is attacks.

Bolscon 40k Head Judge

Nick Rose.

Galadren
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
And that's what I was looking for.

Thanks.