PDA

View Full Version : ard boyz 2nd round

drupif
05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
ok eldar players out there, tweaking my list a bit from round one and seeking some advice. i did very well in the first round, massacred good nid and tau players and got a minor victory against a very good ig player for first place. my list was:
eldrad
yriel
3 waves w/ 10 bladestorm dires waves had bl and stones
2 waves of 7 dragons, waves with scatters
1 wave of banshees w/ executioner exarch wave w/ scatter
1 wave of storm guardians w/ double flamers and enhance warlock wave w/ scatter
1 wraith lord w/ bl and scatter

the wraithlord didn't quite cut the mustard (due to poor rolling, i must admit) but he didn't quite fit w/ the fully mobilized army and i didn't want to keep eldrad back to not risk the wraith sight roll. the guardians didn't have much utility either as a mobile unit. the scatters also were a let down, as i was expecting more nid players, and didn't see them.

changes i'm considering. dropping the wraithlord and exchanging him for another wave of bladestorm avengers. i'll get the points by pulling the storms out of their wave and putting them in reserve for late game objective charging and horde clearing. i'm also looking to change all the scatters to missile launchers for point saving and dual purpose shooting.

this will give me 7 waves full of shootie death and one with yriel and the banshees to beat up on anything that needs a good does of power weapon lovin', backed by a troop unit running on the board late in the game to grab an objective as needed.

thoughts?

DarkLink
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks solid to me. You've got a bit of something to deal with pretty much anything. I do agree that the wraithlord doesn't quite fit in with all the vehicles, but I've used a single Dreadnought walking up behind my Land Raiders similarly to great effect, so it the wraithlord works, keep it.

drupif
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks. the other problem w/ the wraithlord is the number of poison attacks out there. his 3+ save just doesn't stand up to even a 10 strong gaunt assault. just too many attacks. i think the guardians may be a more solid choice and can hold an objective as well. not to mention they are guardians and will be largely ignored, and having 7 waves creates some great cover and support in the backfield if needed.

Tynskel
05-25-2010, 02:13 PM
what about fireprisms?

If you drop one Dire Avenger Squad and the Wraithlord, you can get 3 Fireprisms with some points (~85) left over for upgrades. You can probably up with some stuff.

Or something like 2 Fire Prisms and a Falcon.

Or hack a Dire Avenger Squad down to size and use a falcon + fireprisms, ect ect.

Overall, I think there are a lot of things that you can do to solve your wraithlord issue.

Splug
05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
If you swap the wraithlord, two wave serpents, and one fire dragon from each squad you could instead put the dragons into holofield/bright lance falcons with spirit stones, and still have plenty points left over to flip all the scatter lasers to missile launchers. The whole army remains mounted, and you've gained a good chunk of anti-tank (which doubles as a small-blast anti-infantry shot). You should have enough anti-infantry from the guys inside the tanks, even if everything in the serpents is anti-tank.

drupif
05-25-2010, 07:33 PM
i've never been sold on fire prisms or fire prisms. both can pump out some serious firepower. however, all someone has to do is glance them and they don't fire. seems like quite the point sink for something which may not get to shoot the majority of the game.

i may play test with them a bit and see what i can come up with. good advice, thanks.

Tynskel
05-25-2010, 09:18 PM
i've never been sold on fire prisms or fire prisms. both can pump out some serious firepower. however, all someone has to do is glance them and they don't fire. seems like quite the point sink for something which may not get to shoot the majority of the game.

i may play test with them a bit and see what i can come up with. good advice, thanks.

It is possible that the Prisms can be shaken. However, you have a BUNCH of other flying machines. So if they are shooting your Fire Prisms, they are not shooting the wave serpents as much.

Last year at 'Ard Boyz, I went as tank heavy marines-- occasionally, the hv tanks would get shaken- but I never had all of them shaken at once. Part of the reason is due to the range-- Predators are 48"- they have to be shooting back with those range guns, or get in close, generally nothing got close to them- the rest of my army would destroy the opponent trying to.

drupif
05-26-2010, 05:36 AM
that's a good point. the thing i've seen in our local metagame is a change in the way the game is played. speed, outflanking and enemies generally in my backfield quickly is the norm.

i'm going to play around with the prisms and see what happens, and hopefully, folks will be shooting at them instead of my waves full of dragons and avengers.

Pil
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Don't assault a Deathleaper in the woods with the Storm Guardian Enhance Warlock unit. After a gazillion games against Eldar vs Drupif, and our other resident uber Eldar player Marky Mark, I would say the Fire Prism and Falcon just are not much of a threat to anything. A TL bright lance wave serpent full of blade storm goodness is far more deadly.

drupif
05-26-2010, 08:45 PM
haha well played Pil. good thing we were just play testing stuff out that game. i know better than to do that, i'll just have to get him with the banshees next time.
i'm curious to try out the prisms. i still think falcons are too big a point sink for what they can do, but they do provide a pretty tough fire base/mobile bunker for a troop choice...

whitestar333
05-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Consider, instead of Fire Prisms, the new Night Spinner tank. It's the same points as a prism but that S6, large blast, barrage, rending, with the monofilament wire can cause some serious headaches to any infantry outside of their transports. Plus, the night spinner will have a 72" range to stay well out of range of anything else. While I love Fire Prisms, they work better in pairs, but even one Night Spinner can wreak havoc on its own.

The night spinner is official because it's in the White Dwarf and they say it can be used in normal games. You can ask the organizers just in case, but I don't see why anyone wouldn't allow it.

I also agree that you could just shrink the two fire dragon squads by one member and throw them into 2 Falcons. Falcons are a little more reliable when it comes to vehicle damage with holo-fields without too much extra cost.

Plus, what is the purpose of taking enhance on your storm guardians? Do you use them often to get into combat? They don't seem like that great of a CC unit (haven't used them myself so I don't know) but maybe you could consider swapping for Destructor?

Finally, you could save some points by swapping out brightlances for EMLs. Sure, AV14 could potentially be a problem, but you have 2 Fire Dragon squads to deal with those. You can still keep one TL-brightlance but you give yourself the opportunity to save some points.

This is what I was thinking:

Eldrad
Yriel

10 Banshees (Exarch w/ Executioner) in Wave Serpent w/ TL-Scatter Laser + stones
6 Fire Dragons
Falcon w/ Scatter Laser + Holo-fields + stones
6 Fire Dragons
Falcon w/ Scatter Laser + Holo-fields + stones

10 Dire Avengers (Exarch w/ Bladestorm) in Wave Serpent w/ TL-EML + stones
10 Storm Guardians w/ 2 flamers + Warlock w/ Enhance in Wave Serpent w/ TL-Brightlance + stones

Night Spinner (same points as Fire Prism) w/ Holo-Fields + stones

Pil
05-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea I know what they are really there for (objectives). Thats what Deathleaper is there for as well. Come in turn 2 or 3 then vanish till turn 6 to contest some poor sods objective. lol in Ard'boyz he is the ultimate objective crasher cause if I go second most people forget about him and he is almost impossible to stop or keep off an objective.

Tynskel
05-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Night Spinner isn't official codex :( No supplements, otherwise you would see a lot more Dark Angels players at 'Ard Boyz.

drupif
05-27-2010, 06:04 AM
i believe the night spinner to be official. doesn't it mark the return of the 'chapter approved'? that was my understanding.

and yes, the guardians are for objective holding and horde clearing in my deployment zone. 2 flamers and rerolling failed ld tests helps them to stick around.

Tynskel
05-27-2010, 01:47 PM
i believe the night spinner to be official. doesn't it mark the return of the 'chapter approved'? that was my understanding.

and yes, the guardians are for objective holding and horde clearing in my deployment zone. 2 flamers and rerolling failed ld tests helps them to stick around.

They are 'official' in the way that Apocalypse is 'official'. They are for the codex, but they are supplementary material, in the same way that Forge World is supplementary material.

Re-read the rules for 'Ard Boyz: "Only the main army lists may be used for the army in
question. No appendix lists are permitted."