PDA

View Full Version : 500pts IG/Witch Hunters

Hellwolve
05-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Inquisitor Grigori's Black Water Division
500pts Imperial Guard & Witch Hunters

As I've stated in my introductionary thread (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7404), swayed by some friends of mine, I've decided to create a 40K army.

The army of my choice is Imperial Guard, (somewhat) amended by Witch Hunters.

Since the parent's list compulsory choices must be made first, I've started to put together the base of the army, the IG part of the list. Glancing through the IG Codex, I've come to one conclusion: it's more complex than building a WHFB list ;) And then there's all the wargear and the Witch Hunters I'll want to add...

So, yes, I could really use some help :) As we 'speak', I'm mucking about on my own, but if someone would be so kind as to provide a list of what he/she would include in an army of 500 points (with all prerequisites met...), I would really appreciate it :D

Despite my thanks in advance, there are still a few things I would request to be kept into account:
When I make an army, looks go above combat effectiveness. I will include and/or exclude units purely on theme and/or 'looks' reasons.
To state the obvious: one of the HQ choices and/or Elite choices should be an Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor. Speaking of him, I'll use this (http://www.ironhalo.net/Images/40k/gideon01.jpg) model; his wargear should reflect the model at least somewhat, but I love converting.
Speaking of theme and such, except Sisters Repentia, don't expect me to include (much) Sisters.
Somewhere in that list, I want to include an Autocannon.
Somewhere in that list, I want to include a Sniper Rifle, perhaps more, up to five.
I've got a rough idea of tactics to use: kit out the Inquisitor and his Henchmen for close combat, as well as the IG HQ choice and make the rest as shooty as it can be. Shoot up anything that advances, if it gets too close, charge.

So. With the above in place, I hope someone out there is ready, willing and able to help me :)

TSINI
05-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Just out of interest, what makes you want to ammend the Imperial Guard with Witch hunters in the first place?

at such a small points value, you're going to find it tough just fitting the imperial guard in there let alone any fancy witchunters.

I'm not saying its impossible, just curious as to why 500points of guard alone isnt enough?

Hellwolve
05-26-2010, 07:50 AM
It's all because of more than theme reasons alone, admitedly. The IG bit comes about because of the theme I want in there; Jin-Roh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin-Roh) and Killzone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killzone). The Witch Hunters come about because within the afformentioned group of friends, there are already two of the six people that play IG; I want some extra 'stuff' ;) And I've got the model for an Inquisitor...

Perhaps not the best reasons, but I see little reason not to try :)

sebi81
05-26-2010, 08:47 AM
you will need at least two standard units. i would suggest penal troops. they are not as expensive as an infantry platoon and would be very fluffy lead by an inquisitor. some tank would be nice, perhaps a leman russ. you will need an imperial army HQ either. a lord commissar would be the cheap option. with an at least a little bit armed inquisitor you are at ca. 450 points, i would guess. the rest of the points you could use for a rhino, some ratling snipers or perhaps an deathcult-assassin

Hellwolve
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Some interesting suggestions there :) A mate of mine suggested two Veteran Squads for the compulsory IG Troop choices and I figure that if I can manage, I will. Hadn't thought of the Penal Troops...

Javin
05-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Well,

The very basics are two troops and an HQ.

A command squad with no upgrades = 50
Two Vet squads with no upgrades - 140 (70 each)
That is 190.

Now the real question is, what theme?

Mob army?

You could build two platoons:
PLT CMD SQ X 4 flamers = 50
2x Squad with Grenade launcher and autocannon = 130 (65 each)
Both together = 180
x2 platoons = 360
A command squad with 4 Meltas = 90
leaving you with 50 points of inquistor fun.

A Tank in the mix?
Leman Russ with Hvy Flamer = 150
2X Vet Squads With either Demo or X3 meltas, or grenadiers ETC 100 each or 200.
That leaves 60 inquisitor points

The Scouting army
A command squad with 4 flamers = 70
Valk=130
Penal sq x2 = 160
leaves 140 points!

Burn baby Burn!
Hellhound x2 = 260
vet sq with x 3 flamers = 85
x 2 = 170.
This army would be 500 but it would be burn the witch good :P.

Your choices are only limited by your imagination (and wallet).

Hellwolve
05-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Javin :) That has given me more perspective...Seems I've given myself a b*tch of a task ;) With some of the ideas gathered from this thread...Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, I'll probably have something myself :)

As far as the theme goes...Well, I suppose it does boil down to a 'mob' - but a mob of IG led by an =][=, instead of an =][= leading SoB :)

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 02:38 AM
As 'promised', my take on a list:

HQ:
Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor Lord: 45pts
Wargear: Plasma pistol, 15pts, Power weapon, 10pts
Retinue: Warriors: Veteran Guardsmen, 30pts
Sub total: 100pts

Company Command Squad: 50pts
Veteran Weapons Team w/ Autocannon: 10pts
Sub total: 60pts

Elites:
Death-Cult Assassins: 40pts

Troops:
Veteran Squad #1: 70pts
3 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 15pts
Sub total: 85pts

Veteran Squad #2: 70pts
2 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 10pts
Sub total: 80pts

Grand total: 365pts
Left: 135pts
As far as I can determine, that's a legal list and it'll leave me 135pts to kit the army out further from here on. Thoughts?

Also, the Death-Cult Assassins entry in the Witch Hunter Codex I've got has got me slightly puzzled. It talks about '1-3 Death-Cult Assassins', but no costs are mentioned to add two more models to the (presumably) initial first model of the squad. Are the other two 'free', or am I simply not used to the 40K Army List notation?

sebi81
05-27-2010, 05:10 AM
in older codizes the points were noted in another way in the army list than in newer ones. the point cost for a deathcult-assassine is meant for one of them. you can have up to three as single units taking only one force organisation chart. but every one costs the given points.

I would really like at least one tank in my army...

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 05:44 AM
in older codizes the points were noted in another way in the army list than in newer ones. the point cost for a deathcult-assassine is meant for one of them. you can have up to three as single units taking only one force organisation chart. but every one costs the given points.
Ah, figured as much, but I didn't know for sure...Thanks for the clarification!

I would really like at least one tank in my army...
Assuming I keep the Death Cultist and thus would have 135 points left, that'll need to be one of the following, then: A Rhino at 50pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
A Chimera at 70pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for the Company Command Squad
A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for either or both of the Veteran Squads
A Hellhound, Devil Dog, or Bane Wolf
A Hydra Flak Tank
A Basilisk, Medusa or GriffonOf those, I like options #1, #3 or #4, #5 and #7 the most. I like the Rhino model, the Chimera(s) would either mean I'd have some points left or can field two, a Hellhound is fluffy as heck for a Witch Hunters army and, well, a Basilisk? Who can say 'No' to big artillery? :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Inquisitor Grigori?!?!? You stole that from Half Life 2! Love it, he is my favourite character! =p

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Actually, I've only realised now that the name is used in Half-Life 2, too ;) I took the name directly from what I assume is the original source: the Slavonic Second Book of Enoch.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Ah, that's fair enough then. I personally like the idea of a witch hunter/imperial guard coalition. Sounds like UK's current Government though. xD

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Ah, that's fair enough then.
If you want to know, the English Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori) is interesting fair :)

I personally like the idea of a witch hunter/imperial guard coalition. Sounds like UK's current Government though. xD
Heh. I don't know the UK's current government, but thanks for the liking :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 06:27 AM
If you want to know, the English Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigori) is interesting fair :)

I shall check it out maaaaaan.

Heh. I don't know the UK's current government, but thanks for the liking :D

It's a Liberal Democrat/Conservative Co-alition, otherwise known as Dem-on. =D

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Heh. Nice abbreviation ;)

Anyways. Any comments on the list I posted?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Here you go.

Ah, figured as much, but I didn't know for sure...Thanks for the clarification!

Assuming I keep the Death Cultist and thus would have 135 points left, that'll need to be one of the following, then: A Rhino at 50pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
A Chimera at 70pts, as transporter for the Inquisitor and his Retinue
A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for the Company Command Squad
A Chimera at 55pts, as transporter for either or both of the Veteran Squads
A Hellhound, Devil Dog, or Bane Wolf
A Hydra Flak Tank
A Basilisk, Medusa or GriffonOf those, I like options #1, #3 or #4, #5 and #7 the most. I like the Rhino model, the Chimera(s) would either mean I'd have some points left or can field two, a Hellhound is fluffy as heck for a Witch Hunters army and, well, a Basilisk? Who can say 'No' to big artillery? :D

NO. 5!!!!!!!!!! And no. 2 to be fair.

Well,

The very basics are two troops and an HQ.

A command squad with no upgrades = 50
Two Vet squads with no upgrades - 140 (70 each)
That is 190.

Now the real question is, what theme?

Mob army?

You could build two platoons:
PLT CMD SQ X 4 flamers = 50
2x Squad with Grenade launcher and autocannon = 130 (65 each)
Both together = 180
x2 platoons = 360
leaving you with 50 points of inquistor fun.

A Tank in the mix?
Leman Russ with Hvy Flamer = 150
2X Vet Squads With either Demo or X3 meltas, or grenadiers ETC 100 each or 200.
That leaves 60 inquisitor points

The Scouting army
Valk=130
Penal sq x2 = 160
leaves 140 points!

Burn baby Burn!
Hellhound x2 = 260
vet sq with x 3 flamers = 85
x 2 = 170.
This army would be 500 but it would be burn the witch good :P.

Your choices are only limited by your imagination (and wallet).
I like the Tank and 2 Platoon ideas.

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
NO. 5!!!!!!!!!!
Well, big ol' ridin' Witch Burner is interesting, ain't it? :D

And no. 2 to be fair.
Number 2...? It's your opinion and therefor I won't judge it, but, why? Options 3 and 4 get a Chimera on the field as well, with the added bonus of doing that for less points...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, big ol' ridin' Witch Burner is interesting, ain't it? :D
VERY interesting.

Number 2...? It's your opinion and therefor I won't judge it, but, why? Options 3 and 4 get a Chimera on the field as well, with the added bonus of doing that for less points...
I like the idea of an Inquisitor tanking around jumping out and BURNING people, and then jumping back in =D

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 07:08 AM
VERY interesting.
I smell conversion ideas...

I like the idea of an Inquisitor tanking around jumping out and BURNING people, and then jumping back in =D
Heh. As do I, but I'd go with the cheap option, here ;)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Dude, to both, just DO it man, knawhaI'msayin'? =D

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 07:16 AM
I'd love to, but, in a 500pts army it can't be done :)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Very true. I tend to stay away from 500 points unless it is Tourny style. In which I do a pure army. And in my IG I have 2 Valkyries, 1 Vendetta, and 1 Vulture xD I'm pretty set on flying vehicles, my army follows the 4 V's Valkyries, Vendettas, Vulture, and Veterans. Pretty much all my spec weapons are Snipers too =D I did a Call of Duty army hahahahaha.

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 07:35 AM
500 points is my first stop for a couple of reasons; small in a number of ways; economic, easier to paint, sooner to reach the end...:)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Your logic is undefeatable =p

Fizzics
05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
here is my take on IG/WH at 500 points.

1 Palatine (HQ) @ 61 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Eviscerator

5 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 70 Pts
Hell Gun (x3); Meltagun (x2); Frag Grenades

5 Inquisitorial Storm Troopers (Troops) @ 70 Pts
Hell Gun (x3); Meltagun (x2); Frag Grenades

0 Inducted Guard - Infantry Platoon (Troops) @ 160 Pts

2 Platoon Command Squad
1 Platoon Commander
1 Heavy Weapon Team
Autocannon

7 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant
1 Heavy Weapon Team
Autocannon

7 Infantry Squad
1 Sergeant
1 Heavy Weapon Team
Autocannon

1 Immolator (Heavy Support) @ 68 Pts
Twin Heavy Flamers
Smoke Launchers

1 Immolator (Heavy Support) @ 68 Pts
Twin Heavy Flamers
Smoke Launchers

Starting Faith: 1

Models in Army: 35

Total Army Cost: 497

Put the Palatine with some storm troopers, and then both of them in the heavy support immolators. Drive forward. Guard does what it is supposed to do, which is sit in the back and shoot the autocannons.

This would probably be pretty scary at 500 points. Six s7 ap2 shots a turn plus two tanks. Yes please. Oh, and you have four meltaguns, just for funsies.

Fizzics
05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
As 'promised', my take on a list:

HQ:
Ordo Heriticus Inquisitor Lord: 45pts
Wargear: Plasma pistol, 15pts, Power weapon, 10pts
Retinue: Warriors: Veteran Guardsmen, 30pts
Sub total: 100pts

Company Command Squad: 50pts
Veteran Weapons Team w/ Autocannon: 10pts
Sub total: 60pts

Elites:
Death-Cult Assassins: 40pts

Troops:
Veteran Squad #1: 70pts
3 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 15pts
Sub total: 85pts

Veteran Squad #2: 70pts
2 Veterans w/ Sniper Rifles: 10pts
Sub total: 80pts

Grand total: 365pts
Left: 135pts
As far as I can determine, that's a legal list and it'll leave me 135pts to kit the army out further from here on. Thoughts?

Also, the Death-Cult Assassins entry in the Witch Hunter Codex I've got has got me slightly puzzled. It talks about '1-3 Death-Cult Assassins', but no costs are mentioned to add two more models to the (presumably) initial first model of the squad. Are the other two 'free', or am I simply not used to the 40K Army List notation?

This list is invalid. For two reasons:

When you take an Inq LORD. you MUST include a retinue of at least three henchmen. So, you are going to end up taking at least 3 warriors or some combination of other dudes.

The second reason is that, if you are using WH as your base army, you must fulfill the mandatory slots from that codex. You have a company command squad, which leads me to believe that you are using the IG as your base, but you need to specify.

Either way, it fails because of the Inq. Lord.

Edit: After further examining your list, I understand what you are doing, and it checks out. I'll leave my comments up there in case someone else is confused. It was confusing how you had them laid out. It looks fine.

Javin
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Now you have idea of what you want, think of how your weapon systems will be used. Right now you seem to be going for a long range stay away from me type army. The sniper rifles are fun, but cut down your mobility. If you want to snipe you can not move that turn. Most assault armies will be attacking you turn two, even in 500 point games. Nids, marines, especially orks often focus on quickly moving assaulty type armies.

If you like your current list think of something that would complement the list against assaults. The hellhound is very fluffy with this list and gives you some ranged attack. Look at the banewolf. Flamer template, wounds on a 2+ and ap3! Very nice against Marines and medium armored foes. That vehicle may make attackers think twice for assaults.

Hellwolve
05-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Your logic is undefeatable =p
I know :P

here is my take on IG/WH at 500 points.

(...)

Put the Palatine with some storm troopers, and then both of them in the heavy support immolators. Drive forward. Guard does what it is supposed to do, which is sit in the back and shoot the autocannons.

This would probably be pretty scary at 500 points. Six s7 ap2 shots a turn plus two tanks. Yes please. Oh, and you have four meltaguns, just for funsies.
I like that list...A lot of testing is needed ;)

Edit: After further examining your list, I understand what you are doing, and it checks out. I'll leave my comments up there in case someone else is confused. It was confusing how you had them laid out. It looks fine.
I'm afraid you're right...Sorry for the confusion, but, indeed, it could've been better :)

Now you have idea of what you want, think of how your weapon systems will be used. Right now you seem to be going for a long range stay away from me type army. The sniper rifles are fun, but cut down your mobility. If you want to snipe you can not move that turn. Most assault armies will be attacking you turn two, even in 500 point games. Nids, marines, especially orks often focus on quickly moving assaulty type armies.

If you like your current list think of something that would complement the list against assaults. The hellhound is very fluffy with this list and gives you some ranged attack. Look at the banewolf. Flamer template, wounds on a 2+ and ap3! Very nice against Marines and medium armored foes. That vehicle may make attackers think twice for assaults.
Thanks for the support :) You make a fine point...I like converting; perhaps I'll make an exchangeable turret :)

Also, I may put this whole plan on hold. The store where I buy GW stuff have heard rumors of a new Witch Hunter Codex the end of this year. I'm trying t