PDA

View Full Version : New Starter Box

joescalise
05-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Does anyone know what two armies are in the new box set?

Lord Azaghul
05-26-2010, 06:23 AM
The most prevalent rumour strongly suggest Skaven and High Elves.

eldargal
05-26-2010, 08:26 AM
All the reliable rumourmongers agree, I'm thrilled, and yet I still have trouble believing it will be the case. I really hope it is.

Lord Azaghul
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM
All the reliable rumourmongers agree, I'm thrilled, and yet I still have trouble believing it will be the case. I really hope it is.

Yeah, I still doesn't make sense to me. My guess, since skaven really don't seem to be the best starter army, is that GW throwing in some cool 'unreleased' models (weapon teams, spear elves) or something coolish hope to tempt players who already collect skaven/HE, and of course tempt the occational 'noob' in the mean time.

I just don't see it as a 'new' players box.

isotope99
05-26-2010, 11:32 AM
My money was always on High Elves and Chaos for the following reasons:

Both need some updates to their basic troops which haven't been released in a while
They are ancient enemies which fits with the fluff
They have different play styles but are both easy to grasp in their own way (chaos tough and powerful, High elves weak but fast and some shooting)

Skaven seem like an odd choice given that they just brought out all those new basic troop models and I don't really see them fighting each other all that much (skaven vs empire would be a more sensible match up).

I'll be interested to see what the 'special' choice for the skaven is if they do go that way, my guess is a new rat ogre model, although Jezzails would be better. The high elves are probably going to get a plastic repeater bolt thrower.

GW have been ramping up the variety in the boxed sets in recent releases, so it should be interesting.

wittdooley
05-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I'll be interested to see what the 'special' choice for the skaven is if they do go that way, my guess is a new rat ogre model, although Jezzails would be better. The high elves are probably going to get a plastic repeater bolt thrower.

You mean like This plastic repeater bolt thrower? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat50008&prodId=prod790886)?

If it is high elves, they'd probably get a spearmen update (thought I don't think its necessary) or plastic Swordsmen.

isotope99
05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
You mean like This plastic repeater bolt thrower? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat50008&prodId=prod790886)?

If it is high elves, they'd probably get a spearmen update (thought I don't think its necessary) or plastic Swordsmen.

:eek::confused: Huh, I thought it was still metal like the dark elf version

Lord Azaghul
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
That model was been out for a very long time...

Actually powerleverls: Chaos and HE makes little sense. Chaos wouldn't die to much of the HE shooting or CC attacks.

You want the new players to have fun, to see stuff happen.
Skaven and HE would die to each other shooting and magic and close combat.

Herald of Nurgle
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
If it were HE vs. Skaven i'd see:
Skaven:
Plastic Chieftain/Warlock Engineers
Skaven Slaves
Skaven Clanrats
Plastic Ratling/Other Weapon Teams
Hell Pit Abomination <-- This would be the big splash
High Elves
Noble/Mage on Griffon <-- Other big splash
Lothern Sea Guard
Plastic Phoenix Guard
Plastic Eagles

I could, howver, see a surprise reversal... Wood Elves? That would give a good shooting army and a full selection of units in the Starter Set. High Elves lose Eagles and Sea Guard but gain Eagle Riders, Wild Riders (?), and a bigger reason to have a Griffon (?). Plus it sets up a new Wood Elves book after the set comes out.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
05-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Actually powerleverls: Chaos and HE makes little sense. Chaos wouldn't die to much of the HE shooting or CC attacks.

The powerlevels in the starterboxes have always confused me in how aweful they are. A friend and I got the fantasy starter and played around 10 short games to see if it was even technically possible for the Goblins to beat the Dwarves. It wasn't. Same deal with Battle for Black reach. Come on! 400-something points of crappy Orks, with their only effective model being the Warboss, Vs. 560 points of Marines with TERMINATORS AND A DREADNAUGHT?! What?!
GW will always have the white humanoids in armour win. it'll be the High Elves nerfing a few underpowered core choices of Skaven with ridiculous ranged death spewers.

Mark my words...

MC Tic Tac
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM

If it helps I was in Warhammer World last night and there where no High Elves or Skaven in the miniture hall cabinets, but little notes saying they where AWOL for photography...........

but there where no Orcs and Goblins either! (Crosses fingers for new O&G book soon)