PDA

View Full Version : New to WH Fantasy

Cerberus
05-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm a long time 40K player (Marines and Eldar, both since Rogue Trader) looking to get into Fantasy with the new edition on the horizon. I'm loking for some basic input on the armies in order to find the best fit for my style. Can anyone give me a simple rundown of each? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Units to select and avoid? Overall play styles that work well with each? Thanks in advance.

Later

Lord Azaghul
05-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok.

Well first off that is a VERY open ended request.

I don't think 1-1 comparision 40k to fantasy is really going to be very accurate, but I'll try:

Ok, the game is under going a huge/drasticish change from 7th to 8th. 7th has been broken by 3 armies books, Daemons, Vampire Counts, Dark Elves.
However ALL armies are recieving heavy PDF's to bring them all in line with 8th ed the moment it drops, so who really knows.

The current game is strictly kill points, 8th ed is removing that. And its going to more of a scenario base, not missions, scenarios, completely different.

Armies:

Bad first:
Daemons of Chaos: heroes give lots of benefits to the units, units are already very powerfuls. currently simply a 'push across the table and win' army. Little to no shooting. ARMY BUILD IS IRRELVENT (might get a few hard nerfs in 8th ed updates) Average model count

Warriors of Chaos: Mostly T4, higher armour, very close combat oriented. Point cost are high, and this is more of an 'elite' army. Lots of army built options depending upon deity selection. Mostly: foot troops, heavy cav, a few chariots and monsters Low model count

Beast of Chaos: ...I haven't played against the new book, probably the most 'ready' for 8th ed as it is the most current. Lots of monsters, unique 'ambush' options (kind of outflanking). Unsure on model count

Orcs and Goblines: A fun army. Currently the most self defeatings, but most opponents love to seem them across the board, kind of 'win big or loss big' army. The have lots of cheap troops, lots of war machines, chariots, pretty much every unit type is available in this army. The have a solid selction of troops, specials and rares. Average to high model count

Vampires Counts: Very character dependents, crappy 'core' troops, but the ability to raise 'new units' and raise current units back to startings strength, very magic heavy. If the general dies the army starts to die. Probably recieving a few nerfs next ed. high model count

Tomb Kings: egyptian undead. Also viewed as the 'friendly undead' .one of the lower teir armies at the moment, but due for a new book. Very character dependant (same as VC). Considered 'neutral'. Magic dependent, but not magic heavy. average model count

Ogres: Everythings an Ogre, except noblars(goblins), one of the weaker armies at the moment. Hard learniing curve, but should be getting a few solid buffs thanks to a few 8th ed rumoured rumoes. Most units are t4 with lots of attacks, but lower weapons skills. Low model count

Dark elves: Word of warning on these guys: almost everyone and there mother has a DE army, I believe it is the 'best' army (ie most overpowered). The have the ability to dominate every phase BUT they player has to know what they are doing. High skill states, T3, vulnrable to shooting, but have the best shooting in the game (currently) Solid army options, best magic lore and options. The army 'feel's like a raiding party. Will probably remain a top teir army. Low to average model count.

Lord Azaghul
05-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Forgot one Bad army:
Skaven: Rat people. Book should be ready for 8th ed, appears to have been written with 8th ed rules in mind This book received what appears to be an ‘unneeded power increase’ at least in 7th, but that may only be cause of 7th eds rule set. This army has lots of damage potential, for both it self and the opponent and the terrain! Lots of weird little machines, units, and options, Rats are 3T, some of the craziest monsters and units in the game. High model count.

Good armies:
Empire: Thinks of feudale germans. Humans to average skills, average toughness 3’s generally.
Very much ‘an army’ Kind of a higher learning curve, But exention options army building, lots of warmachines, knights and foot troops. Can go magic heavy, or fightly, or in the middle has a special rules for ‘detachments’ to allow for smaller support units for some of the larger units. This army will probably gain a lot for 8th ed updates. GW really, really likes these guys. Average to high model count.

Brittionians: Arthurian Knights. Most of the army are knights, pretty much defensive/light magic only. Have a special formation allow fewer models for ‘ranks’ but more models in close combat. Little shootings, lots of armour. Have a few specilized units, like pegasis knights. Foot troops are pretty much armed peasants. Low to average model count.

Wood Elfs: Lots of small skirmishy units. Has lots of elves and ‘forest kin, like driand and treemen. Probably changed the most in the next ed. Very few ‘blocks’ This army has lots of low Strengh shooting, but it really strength is manouverability. Currently a few solid army, but the changes to the beast man army and 8th rumours leave a lot of questions.

High Elves: Should be in the 8th ed starter set. Very much an ‘elite’ army. Unfortunately the elite armies of 7th ed kind of leave it in the dust. Have an army wide rule of ‘always stike first’ for close combat. T3 high skills, a few special rules, can take more Dragons then any other army.

Dwarves: A T4 army, low on movement, but solid armour, best warmachines as a whole in the game, also have best shooting troops. No cavalry. No magic, but best magic defense. Not a very fighty army, but excells and battle of attriction. Dwarves can grind most enemies down in CC. This is probably one of the highest learning curves, but an army that rewards planning, so deployment is very important. Average to high model count

I play Dwarves and Orcs and Goblins.

Best advise I can give: go with what you want to paint, and what you like the look and feel of. Try to find some locals for a few demogames before you buy.

Gooball
05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
I agree with Azaghul, buy what you want, not whats best in the game.
I have a mostly Goblins army for the giggles i get when a shamans head explodes and decimates the unit he's in.. and most other units in my army.
I have Tomb Kings because i just like the feel of the army, a slow monstrous thing that if it reaches you will crush you utterly. (even though it never does this, EVER.)

Cerberus
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm very familiar with the fluff and units in each army, I really am just looking for advice on how they play. I've always loved Orks and Goblins, so I was leaning in that direction, but Lizardmen are also interesting. Any input on them? I like the look of their models and the Aztec look they have. Like the Orks, they are so different from what I am used to, it would be a refreshing and creative change from midnight blue Power Armor.

Later

Lord Azaghul
05-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Its kind of hard to give a 'how they play" since that will almost always depend upon the players skill, and list build rather then the army itself (daemons excluded). Its even harder in relation to how things are going to work in 8th ed.

Fantasy just plays so very different then 40k. You need to worry about protecting your flanks, keeping your army together and planning your moves a full turn or two ahead.

Lizards: A pretty solid army overall. They have a mix of low and high toughness troops. SKinks are higher INI have poisoned shooting attacks but are T2, Saurus are T4, Low INI, but have good armour and are S4.

Their list functions are pretty diverse. Large monsters "steggies" act as support. They have a 'cold blooded' rule, so they take all LD test on 3 dice and drop the highest.
They can be very fighty or very magicy or both.

If you want a block heavy army, they can do it.
If you want lots of magic, and mobility they can do that too.

Neither Lizards nor O&G are defensive in nature or primary function. But Lizards are harder to break in Close combat. O&G for the most part have better/more movement and even though they have warmachines are a solid offensive army, but can easily be defeated by there own 'anoymosity' rule.