PDA

View Full Version : Hive fleet name - Bakunawa

oldone
05-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Well i all ways wanted to find a name for my army but i could never find one for my fleet that i was ok with so i decied to go to the interweb and see what legends/ myths i could find and i found one that i am happy with so heres the myth
- The Bakunawa, also known as Bakonawa, Baconaua, or Bakonaua, is a deity in Philippine mythology that is often represented as a gigantic sea serpent. It is believed to be the god of the underworld and is often considered to be the cause of eclipses.

It appears as a giant sea serpent with a mouth the size of a lake, a red tongue, whiskers, gills, small wires at its sides, and two sets of wings, one is large and ash-gray while the other is small and is found further down its body.

- so here what i feel that i could use to adapt to the Tyrainds
the fleet move meet is almost zig zaging across space although makes the jourmy longer it makes the shadow in the warp more intense, and makes it harder to fight in space

i have a bit more but will have to post tomozs

Andrew283
05-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Not bad tbh. A bit of a strange name though. I think the Hive fleet names sound better using Greek/Norse mythology simply due to the similarities between these cultures and the Imperium. For exapmle in DOW2 I named my Hive Fleet paint scheme Cerberus after the 3 headed guard dog to the underworld. Another possibility using Norse Mythology would be Fenris after the great wolf. using Fenris would also have lots of opertunity for fluff as you could use the Space Wolf planet and the mysterious creatures on it (like the Kraken's) as part of your fleet.

eldargal
05-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I have to admit I prefer the convention of Near Eastern Mythological names myself. A bit miffed about Jormungand, to be honest. But its your hive fleet and its a catch name so I'd say go for it.:)

Rafe_131
06-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Jormungand, or Jorgumandyr, like Leviathan and Behemoth, is a...well, for lack of a better term, an arch devil said to have followed Satan in his rebellion. I think there were seven arch devils that acted as generals to hell's armys. I think that's right....not totally sure to be honest.

For what it's worth, my nids go by Hive Fleet Jericho.

Commissar Lewis
06-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Eh? Jormundgandr was the World Serpent in Norse mythology, who encompassed the Earth under the sea.

Unless Christian mythology co-opted it, in the same way it took Hel's Hall and made it Hell.

Course I could be way off base here, what with the 24 hours without sleep.