PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Sanguinary Guard list...OF DOOM!

Ghoulio
06-01-2010, 01:12 AM
I have been wanting to start something new for a while now. Getting pretty sick of playing a huge Tyranid Army and I wanted to make something with a small model count that is both fun to play and paint. So here is what I have so far:

HQ
Dante
The Sanguinor

Elites
Sanguinary Priests (2) - Jump Packs

Troops
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Chapter Banner, Power Fist, Inferno Pistol (Dante and 1 Sang Priest go here)
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol x 2
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol x 2
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol, Plasma Pistol
Sanguinary Guard (5) - Power Fist, Inferno Pistol, Plasma Pistol

Fast Attack
Vanguard Veterans (5) - Power Weapon, Sergent - Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol

2000pts right on the dot

I figured since I have the Sanguinor (love the model) I should have a Sergent to fully maximize his effectiveness. So the lone Sergent basically gets turned into a mini captain (5xWS5 power weapon attacks at init 5 on the charge). Another sweet thing is if you can get Dante near The Sanguinor he will have 8 attacks on the charge at str 5, crazy. I would of liked to have nothing but inferno pistols for this army since they dont really need help killing MEQ only problem is you get only one per boxed set. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if The Sanguinor is worth it in comparison to what else you can get for almost 300pts. C&C are always welcome :)

Goresmack
06-01-2010, 02:18 AM
I too am building an army in this theme, I've had a fair amount of success with them, however I have found that they lack punch for the tank killing at range. Of course it shouldn't be a surprise since the infernus pistol is only 6" range, Plasma pistols have been generally more effective, though I fear losing a model to Gets Hot! rules but as of right now (and 15 battles in 9 Wins/3 Ties/2 Loses) I have yet to lose one model to it.

Anyhow, get out there a proxy some battles, Sanguinary Guard can be hard to handle with the range issues and getting assaulted after deepstriking, but that makes winning that much more satisfying.

Also check out this guy's army: The Vanus Temple (http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/?p=1962)

-Hipflask

Tynskel
06-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Sanguinor is a lot of fun. With so many high priority targets, he's relatively safe.

If you can free up the points, I would ditch the powerfist in the vanguard vets- you have them all over the place already. Just take power weapons-- with sanguinor and a priest nearby, they will destroy most things on the turn they come in.

Ghoulio
06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I was kind of on the fence with wether or not I give the Vanguard Vets a Power Sword + the Sarges Powersword and give that last Sang Guard squad a power fist, or if I just leave the powerfist in that squad. Since I can basically pick and choose my targets the power weapon with the Vets might be a better choice. Also, good to hear the Sanguinor is fun, cant wait to test him out :)

Tynskel
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
A friend of mine likes to run the Vanguard as a full 10 squad with 10 power weapons... expensive, but OMG- kills everything, especially if there is a priest nearby on the drop.

A good tactic is to deep strike the vanguard, and then deep strike Dante's squad, such that the attached sanguinary priest will allow the vanguard to receive the Furious Charge. Dante's ability to land exactly where you want him is great!

Ghoulio
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Wow, a full 10 man squad? That is a min of 465 points, I should hope he mangles everything lol. I think I would rather just take 2 Sanguinary Guard squads with 2 inferno pistols and a power fist in each and save myself 5pts (also get master crafted power weapons and a 2+ armor save :) ).

What you suggested is exactly how I will be using the squad. They will always go down first, and if they can assault (ie I don't botch the roll) then I will place Dante's squad within 6". That way the Sergent of the squad will get 6 attacks on the charge and the regular guy with a power weapon will get 5 attacks on the charge (11, Str 5 PW attacks between two guys, not too shabby :) ). Basically I am going to use them to eliminate high priority threats that aren't in a transport (like Dev Squads and such). The more I think about this army the more pumped I get lol.

Tynskel
06-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Wow, a full 10 man squad? That is a min of 465 points, I should hope he mangles everything lol. I think I would rather just take 2 Sanguinary Guard squads with 2 inferno pistols and a power fist in each and save myself 5pts (also get master crafted power weapons and a 2+ armor save :) ).

What you suggested is exactly how I will be using the squad. They will always go down first, and if they can assault (ie I don't botch the roll) then I will place Dante's squad within 6". That way the Sergent of the squad will get 6 attacks on the charge and the regular guy with a power weapon will get 5 attacks on the charge (11, Str 5 PW attacks between two guys, not too shabby :) ). Basically I am going to use them to eliminate high priority threats that aren't in a transport (like Dev Squads and such). The more I think about this army the more pumped I get lol.

It'll be a tough army to use, but a LOT of fun!