PDA

View Full Version : Tau 1500 and 1750 point lists, help needed

albertsevil
06-01-2010, 07:48 AM
[post edited - orginal 1500 point list removed and new list in the 9th post down on this thread]

1500 point list +
-Fire Warriors (x6): 60
-Sniper Drone Team: 80
-Sniper Drone Team: 80
-XV15 Stealth (x1): 30 Total = 1751

Hey all, am looking for help building a 1500 and 1750 point list to play against all comers.

Do people have any suggestions how I can improve the lists above? I am in the process of building 2 broadsides so unfortunately cannot use them at the moment.

Many thanks, good gaming to all

Fizyx
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Tau have an interesting place in Fifth edition. I understand people love Fireknives to death, but with the ubiquity of cover saves in fifth edition all our low AP weaponry has a real hard time actually being effective. Furthermore, Fireknives need a boost to BS, whether through Targetting Arrays (if they are Shas'vre or higher) or through the use of Markerlights. I do not like markerlights simply because they are WAY too easy to take out. Once you eliminate that threat, your firepower is significantly reduced to the point of triviality.

Since low AP is out, what else does Tau have in their repertoire?

Missile Pods (long range + high S)
Disruption Pods (vehicle survival)
Railguns (Anti-Armor)

That being said, I would build my list around those two things.

Bring N Deilfish w/ Disruption Pods + 6 Firewarriors for every N*500 points.
Bring N Railgun for every N*500 points
Bring N Piranha for every N*750 points
Bring 1 healthy squad of kroot
Fill the rest in with Deathrain Battlesuits
Add Shield Drones as necessary

So at 1500 points you should have:
Fireknife Shas'el with TA (97 points)
3x Devilfish with Fire Warriors (145 points each)
2 Piranhas with FB/Disruption Pods and Flechettes (80 points each)
10 kroot + 5 hounds (100 points)
1 Hammerhead (rail/Dp/MT) (175 points or 165 w/ BC)
2 Broadsides w/ *** (80 points each)

Which leaves you 373 points for Crisis Suits. A deathrain squad is 159 points each. So add: another 318 points, which leaves you 55 points for upgrades and shield drones. A shield drone on your Shas'el and Broadside squad, with 15 points to spare.

Of course there are way more options than that. You can drop the Piranhas and bring another squad of Deathrains (what I normally do.) Both have their positives and negatives.

Of course this is just how I see things, other people have done well with vastly different lists.

DrLove42
06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Its a good list, but it will struggle in an anti-armour role to a certain extent. I'd be tempted to drop the piranhas to get those 2 broadsides in. Put them in different squads so they can't both be killed by one unit and you don't need to buy an upgrade to get them to fire independantly, and give them one shield drone. A 2+/4++ disposable wound is a lifesaver against things that instant kill with low AP.

Pathfinders need railrifles. Pinning people so they can't assault you and all being able to shoot at different targets...priceless

All Tau vehicles NEED disruption pods. Like medically life or death need them? 5pts for a 4+ save? Thank you very much.

And as a matter of personal taste my Hammerhead uses an Ion cannon to provide anti-horde/light armour support for much cheaper than rail gun submunitions, and leave the heavy targets to my 3 broadsides/infiltrating stealthsuits with fusion blasters/seeker missiles.

albertsevil
06-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. As soon as my broadsides are built (heavy conversions) they'll be used but sadly that won't be for a couple weeks. Until then i think i'll struggle with vehicles.

This:

"Bring N Deilfish w/ Disruption Pods + 6 Firewarriors for every N*500 points.
Bring N Railgun for every N*500 points
Bring N Piranha for every N*750 points
Bring 1 healthy squad of kroot
Fill the rest in with Deathrain Battlesuits
Add Shield Drones as necessary

So at 1500 points you should have:
Fireknife Shas'el with TA (97 points)
3x Devilfish with Fire Warriors (145 points each)
2 Piranhas with FB/Disruption Pods and Flechettes (80 points each)
10 kroot + 5 hounds (100 points)
1 Hammerhead (rail/Dp/MT) (175 points or 165 w/ BC)
2 Broadsides w/ *** (80 points each)"

Sounds brilliant thanks. My army is built primarily for anti-daemon so it does need a bit more rounding for all-comers and i'll take on your advice. At least one squad of suits will be changed to fireknives instead of fusion and plasma.

BUT..

Could someone please tell me why deathrains (2xmissile pods + targeting array) are better than fireknives (plasma, missiles and multi-tracker)? They targeting array (+1 BS) seems wasted on a twin-linked weapon and the lack of low AP is a worry for me. Would i not be better running suits with twinlinked missile pods and a secondary weapon for emergencies? ie. a flamer? All my suits are magnetised so can try the different combinations.

Again, thank you. Good gaming to all

Tynskel
06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
With your suits being magnetized, I think you should playtest your list, and try out the missile pods. See how they do.

Fizyx
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Could someone please tell me why deathrains (2xmissile pods + targeting array) are better than fireknives (plasma, missiles and multi-tracker)? They targeting array (+1 BS) seems wasted on a twin-linked weapon and the lack of low AP is a worry for me. Would i not be better running suits with twinlinked missile pods and a secondary weapon for emergencies? ie. a flamer? All my suits are magnetised so can try the different combinations.

Targetting Arrays: It is all about making the hits. You have a S7 weapon, which is going to wound pretty much any model on a 2+. The problem is hitting. Yes, twin-linked does bump things up considerably, but the extra bump in BS helps more than you think. You have a 50% chance of hitting all 6 missiles with the TA, and and 86% chance of hitting 5. With BS3 those numbers drop to 17% and 50%. That is a HUGE difference.

Low AP: Cover saves. They are everywhere now. Low AP weapons are awesome, but you pay the price for them (IE, they are expensive and usually close range.) Missile Pods are much cheaper, plus you have much better range to stay out of assault. Also, you are better able to stay in your own cover, giving yourself the 4+ save vs. Heavy IG fire.

Flamers: If you are in a position where you have to use a flamer, you have lost. Targetting array is 6 points more expensive than a flamer, but the benefits are worth so much more than that.

Yes, MEQ will be taking 3+ armor saves. But now, you have planned for that. Better that than planning to waste MEQ with your low AP and now they are still getting a 4+ save and your rate of fire and range can not support it.

Again, just my opinion. Try different options out and see what you like. My suits are magnetized, too :D

Commander Vimes
06-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Suits with Twin linked missile pods and Targeting Arrays are one of the best light vehicle killers in the game for their cost. They are excellent against rhinos, trucks, wave serpents, chimeras and other transports that are all over the board these days with mech being so popular. Having them leaves your railguns to deal with the truly heavy stuff like land raiders and russes.

Drop the Marker Drone, they are awful for their price. Likewise drop all the seeker missiles, they are way too expensive for one shot that might not even hit or launch.

Give the pathfinders a Shas'ui for the leadership, it helps.

Try a Positional Relay on your commander, it opens up a lot of strategic options to experiment with. Look for a Ninja Tau guide for detailed examples.

I personally hate Fire Warriors and love Kroot. If you have more Kroot models, then field them. Fire Warriors are very squishy, and should not be fielded without a devilfish to hide in. If possible, drop one squad, put one in the pathfinder devilfish, and add a big squad of kroot with hounds.

DrLove42
06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd disagree with dropping the seeker missiles. They're a single shot yes, but hit on a 2+ and a Tau army should be using markerlights anyway, if not on drones, then given to firewarrior teams.

As a side note how do people paint un-helmeted Tau heads? Mine always come out too dark..

albertsevil
06-02-2010, 03:40 AM
Morning all, thanks for the replies. How does this new list sound? (Orignial list in first post has now been removed)

HQ
Shas'el: 127
Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, Plasma, Fusion, Shield drones (x2)

Elite
XV8 Crisis (x2): 124
-Multi-tracker, Plasma, Missile pods
-Multi-tracker, Plasma, Missile pods

XV8 Crisis (x3): 169
-Targeting array, T/L missile pods
-Targeting array, T/L missile pods
-Targeting array, T/L missile pods + team leader and target lock

XV15 Stealth (x6): 180

Troop
Fire Warriors (x8): 80

Devilfish: 95
-Disruption pods + multi-tracker

Fire Warriors (x8): 80

Fire Warriors (x6): 60

Kroot (x10): 70

Fast
Pirhana: 80
Targeting array, fusion, flechettes,

Pirhana: 80
Targeting array, fusion, flechettes,

Pathfinders (x8): 96
Devilfish: 95
Disruption pods + multi-tracker

Heavy
Hammerhead: 165
Railgun, burst cannons, multi-tracker, disruption pods

Total = 1501

The 8 man(Tau?) FW teams will be in the devilfish and pathfinder devilfish, the 6 man team camping on the home objective. Kroot as a screen or outflanking if needed. Plenty of missile pods now. Should the commander stay as a Helios build (fusion, MT, plasma)? I like him as some reassurance against heavy threats and armour. I think i'll struggle against AV13 and AV 14 but can deal well with lower AV vehicles (rhino EQ) at range and soften up the squads as they approach on foot.

Why do people play small FW squads? 6 seems to be the recommended size, but i find them too squishy and it's a lot of points for units which hide in tanks and do very little. My 8 man squads seem a bit safer and 8 rapid firing s5 weapons can inflict some good damage. I use them for late objective grabbing and as stop-gaps to deal with infantry threats. they normally end up cruising around in their pimped out blinging devilfish, jumping out, rapid firing, and disappearing later (they love killing dameonettes). Am i using them in the best way? Do people have any good and easy FW tactics? I try and use fish of fury, is this still valid? Seems to work for me but people have mentioned previously that its not that good any more.

Good gaming to all