PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Tyranid Warrior themed force

Winter12
06-02-2010, 02:57 AM
I wanted some advice on a Tyranid warrior themed force I was working on. It's a little low on ranged firepower but is surprisingly resilient. I was also tempted to just forget about the heavy firepower and swap out the raveners and the lone carnifex for a brood of two carnifexes with a pair of scything talons for more monsterous creature killyness. Not sure if I like the idea of losing the only fast(ish) things in my army though.

Tyranid Prime, scything talons, lashwhip & bonesword
2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Guard
3 Tyranid Warriors, 3 scything talons, 2 deathspitters, venom cannon
3 Tyranid Warriors, 3 scything talons, 2 deathspitters, venom cannon
3 Tyranid Warriors, 3 rending claws, 2 devourers, barbed strangler
3 Tyranid Warriors, 3 rending claws, 2 devourers, barbed strangler
Trygon, adrenal glands
Carnifex, scything talons, heavy venom cannon
Trygon, adrenal glands
4 Raveners, rending claws

Thoughts?

Lemt
06-02-2010, 03:08 AM
I tried playing a Warrior army myself, but found it to be too fragile in this melta/missile world. A unit or two of warriors as support is good, but relying on them as your only troops has proven to be inneffective.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I concur, Warriors, as cool as they are, get their arses (if they have them???) handed to them by marines, especially Salamanders, there isn't anything wrong with Warrior based armies though, I play my Tyranids similarly, with the exception that my army is based around a single unit of Warriors led by the "Swamplord" a unique adaption of the Prime gene =D

Herald of Nurgle
06-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Thought about adding Parasite of Mortrex with some Tyranid Shrikes?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-02-2010, 05:40 AM
The Parasite is broken cheese! =D I have him as well!

Winter12
06-02-2010, 06:35 AM
I've used shrikes and I tend to find they need Gargoyles to be effective (mobile cover). That then means the theme of my army changes and I end up spending a third of my points on fast units. I'd have to lose the trygons and I don't really want to do that. I find they work far too well as fire magnets which keeps my warriors alive longer.

I should have mentioned that my Trygons normally start on the table to distract my opponent from my warriors. That means they're left with the choice to either shoot my scoring units or the big things that are about to kill him.

My main concerns are Landraiders and the like, as I have to rely on close combat from my Trygons/carnifex. Is a Tyrannofex worth considering? Also, I've yet to face a fully mechanised opponent and I'm worried that I'm lacking in ranged anti-tank.

Hugz4Genestealers
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
You're a Tyranid player who isn't fielding Zoanthropes or Hive Guard, of course you're going to be lacking in the ranged anti-tank department. Personally I eschew the use of ranged anti-tank practically altogether, relying on rending claws and MCs to bust up those shiny metal boxes all the prey races seem so intent on hiding inside.

Winter12
06-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Ummm Hugz, I have 2 units of Hive Guard. It's not a lot but I was planning on relying on close combat for most of my tank killing. How does that work for you? Is it fun? Fustrating? Successful?

Hugz4Genestealers
06-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Wow, totally spaced out reading your army list, sorry, of course you have hive guard. I feel rather silly. Anyways, I still prefer relying on my monstrous creatures to break the prey races shiny metal boxes, but I'm definitely planning on incorporating hive guard into my next army list. Good plan!
Oh, and another thing: you mentioned being uncertain about pulling the raveners as they were the only "fastish" things in your army. Don't forget: your Trygons are Fleet!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-10-2010, 03:13 AM
i still prefer relying on my monstrous creatures to break the prey races shiny metal boxes
Metal boxes!?!?!?! The cowards!! The fools!