PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points of Imperial Guard - The Lucky 88th

TSINI
06-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi guys, got a little competition heading my way, so i thought i'd post up my list to get some feedback.

HQ

Command Squad - Melta gun, Medic, Vox. Carapace Armour, Master of Ordnance
- commander - power sword, plasma pistol
Dedicated Transport: Chimera - Autocannon if forgeworld is allowed, if not, multilaser
60/55

Lord Commissar - power sword, plasma pistol

Elites

Stormtroopers - grenade launcher, flamer
- sergeant - power sword

Troops

Platoon command - grenade launcher, missile launcher, vox
Platoon Commander - bolt pistol

Infantry 1 - grenade launcher, missile launcher, vox
Infantry 2 - grenade launcher, missile launcher, vox
Infantry 3 - flamer, missile launcher, vox
Heavy weapon Team 1 - 3x Heavy Bolter
Heavy weapon Team 2 - 3x Autocannon
Heavy weapon Team 3 - 3x Lascannon
Conscripts (20 men)
Penal Legionnaires

Fast Attack

Vendetta - heavy bolters
Rough Riders (6)
- Sergeant - Plasma Pistol
Armoured Sentinel - Plasma Cannon

Heavy Support

Medusa
Leman Russ Executioner - lascannon
Leman Russ Battle Tank

Total points, 1997

As you can see, i've gone mental for troops, there are 100 infantry models on the table, along with 3 battle tanks, 1 skimmer, 1 walker, and 1 transport tank.

so the strengths of this list are in the sheer number of units, i dont think it will fare up against any landraider lists due to the lack of any "Hard hitting anti tank" but there is plenty of anti tank gear packed away, 4 missile launchers, a meltagun, lascannon team (i plan to use Bring it down! orders here)

and the sheer volume of small arms fire should whittle away any enemy infantry - especially with lots of FRFSRF orders flying about.

any thoughts?

Lord Azaghul
06-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Over all: I'm kind of suprised to see ST and Rough Riders and Heavy Bolters!

To me this mostly looks like you're 'playing what I love', but seeing some of you're painting, I'm sure taking a fully painted list is part of your self imposed requirements.
Its not a bad list, but if definately has a few elements that I'm not used to fielding!

I think as an all-comers it should far well, no major critisism other then the Storm Troopers.

Col.Straken
06-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Over all: I'm kind of suprised to see ST and Rough Riders and Heavy Bolters!

To me this mostly looks like you're 'playing what I love', but seeing some of you're painting, I'm sure taking a fully painted list is part of your self imposed requirements.
Its not a bad list, but if definately has a few elements that I'm not used to fielding!

I think as an all-comers it should far well, no major critisism other then the Storm Troopers.

Not sure how Rough Riders will fair, but they look good.

As for Storm Troopers! They are awesome! I had my unit of 10 kill a Carnifex! Admitedly it was a lot of luck involved, but still, the chance to kill a fex with guardsmen is always fun!

Lord Azaghul
06-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Not sure how Rough Riders will fair, but they look good.

As for Storm Troopers! They are awesome! I had my unit of 10 kill a Carnifex! Admitedly it was a lot of luck involved, but still, the chance to kill a fex with guardsmen is always fun!

Hilarious! I benched mine (ST) after about 4 games of straight games of fail! They were even missing consistently with there meltas.

I did however just pick up 5 rough riders (in blister) dirt cheap at a tourney a couple of weeks ago. They look fun to paint, but on paper I'm not sure how they will do!

TSINI
06-04-2010, 08:05 AM
my experience with stormtroopers isnt too great, but they do have great potential.

the AP3 lasguns are great against marines - as long as you roll wounds...
and their uber weaponry loadout gives them tons of attacks in combat (hellgun+hellpistol+combat weapon)
they have been known to die the turn they drop in from direct whirlwhind hits, so not a very survivable unit, but for me they work well as an expensive distraction...

i will be experimenting with some different tactics this time, maybe not deep striking them and utilising their outflank ability to get them into the fight.

The rough riders always garuntee deaths of tough infantry models, like XV9 suits or battle suits in general, and i imagine against termies they would fare quite well - but only the first time they charge. after that they will die like puny guardsmen because thats all they are reduced to. (you would think they could afix a new explosive charge to a new spear, or maybe have extendable ones in reserve lol)

I tend to use them as a kind of counter-attack team, keep them in reserve and then dive them into cover until a decent target presents itself.

my available swap-outs include:

a vanquisher - which never seems to kill anything well enough to be worth it
more troops - might be a pain to paint, but would be quite fun!
Salamander Scout - is always a laugh having an extra couple of heavy weapons, and pretty cheap too, but just not as survivable as a chimera
earthshaker emplacement - fun, but may not be allowed.
vulture - which might not be allowed
Creed HQ - which is just plain expensive, looking at about 250points when its all assembled...
a couple of sentinels - an extra autocannon and missilelauncher might be helpfull,
plenty of upgrade bits, commissars with allsorts of weapons, another platoon command squad, a special weapons squad with demo charges, and a cyclops demo tank (agains may not be allowed)

So the list i've put together is pretty much a good mix of everything i own, but tactically its going to be an interesting watch, it has those "terrible" units which people don't like to use - so maybe that alone can unnerve my opponent?

Lord Azaghul
06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I do like your heavy selection, pretty solid there, and in your fast slots as well, which pretty much leaves ‘elite’ or ‘troops’ open.

One of the units I really enjoy using are ratlings. I take 5 of the little guys, sit them in cover and just watch them pick at stuff the entire game. They are usually ignored, due to being a low priority target, but when they kill 1 terminator, paying for the whole squad, it’s gratifying! Not to mention 3+ cover is golden.

I used my vets like you use your Rough Riders: I sit one or two squads in reverve, with a chimera, meltax2 flamer, and punch then at what ever is threating my line. 150points.

TSINI
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
i have some ratlings hidden away in my old valhallan army, that could be interesting, and some old sniper models too which i'd prefer.

might see if i can wrangle another 30 points to shove 3 (ratling) snipers in, possibly removing the master of ordnance - freeing up my command squad to be more agressive in their pimpmobile.

thats another squad they wouldn't be expecting to see.

interesting!

Lord Azaghul
06-04-2010, 09:09 AM
i have some ratlings hidden away in my old valhallan army, that could be interesting, and some old sniper models too which i'd prefer.

might see if i can wrangle another 30 points to shove 3 (ratling) snipers in, possibly removing the master of ordnance - freeing up my command squad to be more agressive in their pimpmobile.

thats another squad they wouldn't be expecting to see.

interesting!

I'd rather drop carapace armour and keep the MoO. (I don't remember if that's 20 points or 30 points)
And dropping 1 ST pays for a whole lot! Or shoot, keep the CCS the same and drop 2 ST for the ratlings.

Legoklods
06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I think you need something to deal with land raiders/monoliths (you have 3 lascannons).
And somthing to deal with mega nobs/termies (same 3 lascannons and 1 plasma cannon).
How does the medusa work? cant remember...

TSINI
06-04-2010, 06:34 PM
yeah the anti landraider bit is the main hole in the list. although don't forget the vendetta with 3 twin linked lascannons too.

for anti nob/termies theres the lascannons, plasma cannon, executioner plasma cannon, and the medusa is just a 36" demolisher cannon which is ace at melting all marines, termies included.

i guess if i really wanted to i could drop the stormtroopers, and take the vanquisher and i'd still have points for some ratlings and still keeping the master of ordnance.

i guess thats the main choices really, will the stormtroopers be toomuch of a point sink when i could instead take another battletank and some ratlings.

although, 2 of the russes would then need to form a squadron, mixing the vanquisher with the anti infantry stuff is not wise, but combining the two anti infantry russes is massive overkill lol... which might be fun!!

Lord Azaghul
06-07-2010, 06:55 AM
I think the IG does best when most units are pigeon holed into one function: the vanquisher is just too many points at BS 3.
I think taking a standard battle tanks is a far better option. I've had moderate success with 2 BC russes in a squad. BC/LC 165x2 330 points for a lot of fire power.

Land Raiders. 90% of the time I ignore these guys for the first turn or two. Unless its a redeemer is pretty harmless for IG.
Consider: a LR is 200+ points, plus whatever is in there is prolly 300+ pts, which means in a 2k game, 1/4 of your opponents army is doing almost nothing for 2+ turns, while more of your army can unload on the 75% of the rest of his force. The more stuff you kill outside of the LR the higher the % shift back into you favor for dealing with whatever is in the LR.

I've shot my bassies at LR for early kills, but only when I don't have a better target.

Porty1119
06-12-2010, 02:30 PM
The Vulture should be allowed, where I live you just have to have the rules with you. May I ask what weapons loadout you fit it with?

TSINI
07-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately it turns out that i cannot attend the competition, but thanks to all for the advice, i'll keep it in mind for the next inevitable 2000pt game/competition i get to play.

The Vulture should be allowed, where I live you just have to have the rules with you. May I ask what weapons loadout you fit it with?

our local group generally accepts forgeworld gear, but often competitions just avoid any confusion by simply disallowing anything "non codex"

my vulture has the nose Heavy Bolter, Twin Lascannons, and 2 multiple rocket pods. this is mainly because this is the original resin model and these were the weapon options it came with, but i quite like the fact it's a multipurpose vehicle. if i had the money i would invest in a second one and magnetise it like my valkyries. i would also grab the twin punishers because it just seems right for a vulture to have gatling guns under the wings.