PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Campaign

Jordan Ashworth
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I was very happy to hear that my GW would be hosting a BFG campaign. For me this would be a first, I have never once played in a campaign and am looking forward to it even though it is a month or so down the road. On the other hand that gives me time to paint my fleet now that I have time.

Also gives me time to brush up on my game skills, been a while since I touched the game. So the purpose of posting this thread was to get some tips and advice to get myself prepared for the campaign.

Cheers,
Jordan Ashworth

Majorcrash
06-03-2010, 07:00 AM
A lot will depend on the nature of the campaign and the fleet you bring. I hosted alot of campaigns back in the day when the game was still supported, not so much in the last 3 years. Where did you hear of a campaign?
one pointer that I always used was to consider the fluff of your Fleet. It wasnt always important to me to have the most powerfull ships as it was to have them make sense froma story aspect. Consider "battlestar galactica. one battleship and a fleet of noncombatants.... Anyway thats my first idea the erst depends on the other stuff i mentioned at the begining.

Freefall945
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
You will find that Campaigns are very different to pitched battles, more so in Gothic than any other Wargame campaign I've played.

In a conventional Gothic game, people will sell their ships to enemy fire if it provides them with an advantage towards a game-win.

In a tournament however, everyone wants ALL of their cruisers and battleships to survive so they can improve with the game's abstract experience system. Use this to your advantage! Many, if not most players will play conservatively for fear of their fleet sustaining much damage. A fleet bristling with firepower, (chaos, for example) can plunge directly into the enemy's fleet and open up, crippling or hulking a vessel or two and be more confidant than ever that the enemy's response will not be a calculated riposte but a desperate scrambling of ships to try to protect what remains. Many guns are great! People are predisposed in a campaign to bracing for impact, so if you're aggressive you can enjoy a very muted reprisal from your quivering foe.

Jordan Ashworth
06-05-2010, 04:05 AM
A lot will depend on the nature of the campaign and the fleet you bring. I hosted alot of campaigns back in the day when the game was still supported, not so much in the last 3 years. Where did you hear of a campaign?
one pointer that I always used was to consider the fluff of your Fleet. It wasnt always important to me to have the most powerfull ships as it was to have them make sense froma story aspect. Consider "battlestar galactica. one battleship and a fleet of noncombatants.... Anyway thats my first idea the erst depends on the other stuff i mentioned at the begining.

I heard about the campaign from the GW staff of the West Edmonton Mall, seems they actually have quite the amount of BFG players. As for the fleet I am using the Imperial Navy. I had been thinking on an idea for fluff for the fleet. Gonna be starting out as a newly raised fleet and as battle goes on I will be recording each battle which shall serve as my Admirals log.

You will find that Campaigns are very different to pitched battles, more so in Gothic than any other Wargame campaign I've played.

In a conventional Gothic game, people will sell their ships to enemy fire if it provides them with an advantage towards a game-win.

In a tournament however, everyone wants ALL of their cruisers and battleships to survive so they can improve with the game's abstract experience system. Use this to your advantage! Many, if not most players will play conservatively for fear of their fleet sustaining much damage. A fleet bristling with firepower, (chaos, for example) can plunge directly into the enemy's fleet and open up, crippling or hulking a vessel or two and be more confidant than ever that the enemy's response will not be a calculated riposte but a desperate scrambling of ships to try to protect what remains. Many guns are great! People are predisposed in a campaign to bracing for impact, so if you're aggressive you can enjoy a very muted reprisal from your quivering foe.

I do agree many guns are good as well as many torpedoes. It is why I chose the Retribution Class Battleship over the Emperor Class. This is my list that I have for the 2000pts allotted.

Imperial Retribution Class Battleship 365pts
Imperial Overlord Class Battlecruiser 235pts
Imperial Tyrant Class Cruiser 195pts
- (45cm guns added +10pts)
x2 Imperial Gothic Class Cruisers 360pts
x2 Imperial Dictator Class Cruisers 440pts
x4 Imperial Cobra Class Destroyers 120pts
x3 Imperial Sword Class Frigates 105pts
x3 Imperial Firestorm Class Frigates 120pts

Total: 1940pts

If I had them I would add 2 more Cobra Class Destroyers to make 2 squads of 3.