PDA

View Full Version : 500pts Iron Warriors

Hellwolve
06-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Warsmith Haldor Ferron's Taskforce Heavy Rain
500pts Iron Warriors

As one can read elsewhere (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7405), under the influence of some friends of mine, I've decided to create a 40K army. The first army of my choice, Imperial Guard mixed with Witch Hunters (or the other way around), is now 'offically' in limbo. I've read enough rumors that I can't and won't be sure if what I buy and plan now as far as it's list goes, will be possible later.

So, I've dusted off a few of the mini's I had on the attic as well: Iron Warriors. I quite like their fluff, their feel and as far as I'm aware, they won't be changed any time soon.

Unlike with the other list, I've no idea where to start, really. Partly because I don't have the Chaos Marines Codex (yet) ;) Rumaging about on the interwebs, I've seen suggestions of using the Space Marines Codex, since they have more 'techy' options, but, personally, I'd like a Defiler and/or Obliterators eventually :)

So! I'd like to open the floor to any and all ready, willing and able to help me with a starter list for 500pts of Iron Warriors :)

albertsevil
06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey there.

It would be helpful to know how you think/want the feel of the army to play out, but here's some basics that I think would be useful to an Iron Warrior fluffed list.

Basic chaos space marines (CSM) are essential and very versitile, able to fill almost any role. To my knowledge the Iron Warriors (IW) are a legion not massively dedicated to the chaos gods and so basic CSM and/or icons of chaos glory (re-rolling leadership test) fit well and provide a solid core. You could use khorne berzerkers to represent the blood crazed ruthlessness of the legion - pre heresy they were known for being so bored and frustrated at being used in long protracted seiges time after time that they were savage when the enemy walls finally fell, I also think there is a mention of khorne worshiping IW in the 'Storm of Iron' book (not a bad read in my opinion).

Their fluff has always been that of a reliance on vehicles and solid fire-bases, much more than the other fallen legions. You could represent this by filling your heavy support choices and having dreadnoughts as elites or by creating a more static shooty army, but it depends how you play.

To my knowledge (and from the older CSM codex) IW don't realy use daemons and few are possessed, you could still quite easily use daemon princes as the IW do worship chaos to some extent and their primarch is certainly a daemon prince, or you could convert a mechanical prince of which there should be a few easily found with a google search.

Sorry if you already knew all that. Here's an example 500 point list:

CSM Lord + Power weapon + Melta-bombs: 110

CSM x5 + Flamer+ Champ + Power weapon + Rhino: 145

CSM x5 + Flamer + Champ + Power weapon + Rhino: 145

Predator (autocannon) + Heavy bolter sponsoons: 100

Total = 500

Maybe low on troops but they are armed well and can deal with most threats, at 500 points it is unlikely your opponent will have super tough vehicles or units and so powerfists probably aren't needed. The Lord is there as a tough combat unit and can ride with one of the squads and has melta bombs should you face vehicles. The army has 3 vehicles and the Predator is there to deal with the few enemy vehicle targets and then move on to mopping up infantry.

It's a list i've used with success, but it is low on models. It seems that the CSM codex is hard to work with at 500 points, while other codexes can max out on cheaper units. Large groups of friewarriors, piranhas, banshees and land speeders are what i've had problems with at this points level.

Hope that helps, good gaming

Another Random Geek
06-03-2010, 05:45 PM
*Enter Imperial dog*

Hi there. I don't do Chaos, (Loyalists and Orks for me!) but I suppose I can help out a bit.

First, I'd suggest holding off buying dreads unless you can find some really cheap someplace, as the whole "shooting your own dudes" thing is kind of a pain. (They shoot the nearest unit, friend or foe, TWICE on a 1, and have to charge into the nearest enemy WITHOUT FIRING on a 6.) Having Dreddy screw up two out of six times is kind of a big deal in a game that averages around six turns. :p

Oh, and I'd suggest trying "Combat Patrol" rules for 400-500 point games, because HQ choices eat up an unhealthy number of points.

A 500 point Combat Patrol list for the Iron Warriors might look like this:

Elites:

5 man Chosen Squad w/ Meltaguns, Chaos Glory

Troops:

10 man Marine Squad w/ Chaos Glory in Rhino w/ Havok Launcher

Heavy Support:

5 Man Havok Squad w/ 4 Heavy Bolters, Chaos Glory

Admittedly, the 5 Meltas are BEYOND overkill, but you'll probably want some models w/ meltaguns later as you start to play larger games, so I figure why not start early? At least for the moment you're pretty much guaranteed to smoke any Rhino or Trukk that crosses you.

That being said, I'm not what we call a "competitive" player, and I don't do Chaos, so feel free to differ to the others.

Hellwolve
06-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi, guys!

It would be helpful to know how you think/want the feel of the army to play out, but here's some basics that I think would be useful to an Iron Warrior fluffed list.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assestment that it would be handy if I knew more about how I want the army to play...Unfortunatly, I've got zero experience with 40K and thus little to go on but the fluff.

Basic chaos space marines (CSM) are...

(...)

Sorry if you already knew all that.

No need to be sorry; a little refreshment is quite nice!

Here's an example 500 point list:

(...)

Hope that helps, good gaming

It does help! Quite a nice list and quite attractive :D I like tanks and with the few models it has...I'd only have to buy the tanks :)

*Enter Imperial dog*

Hi there. I don't do Chaos, (Loyalists and Orks for me!) but I suppose I can help out a bit.

Thank you, Imperial dog ;)

First, I'd suggest holding off buying dreads...

(...)

That being said, I'm not what we call a "competitive" player, and I don't do Chaos, so feel free to differ to the others.

Hmmm...Perhaps I'll mix your list and the above one ;) Thanks for the tips either way!

Hellwolve
06-15-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm currently looking at the following list:

Chaos Lord with Power weapon.
Two squads of five Chaos Space Marines, each with a Meltagun and a Aspiring Champion with a Power weapon and a Chaos Rhino as a transport.
Chaos Predator with Heavy bolters Side sponsons.

Snyderson
06-15-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd suggest to squeeze in at least one power fist in the troop choices.
There's nothing more threatening to any basic HQ than an unsaved power fist hit...

Hellwolve
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
I'd love to, but I've got 10 points too little to do that, unless I'd replace the Meltaguns by Flamers or drop one of the Meltaguns alltogether.

Paradox
06-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Another Imperial dog here (but one of my main opponents is a Tzeentchian/Thousand Sons player)

I play lots of 500 - 1000 point games. Your 500 point list look really good, it's competative (though I'd normally like more men on the battlefield) and got the right start to the fluff (which in turn justifies the predator over more men at 500 points :P).

Given your small amount of points to play with once you've chosen HQ, 2 troops and something else, your upgrade points become really important.

While the dual load out of melta/PW is appealing, may suggest you do go through with dopping one of them and taking up a powerfist over a power eapon for either of the sergeants (you could debate over which one, melta squad or non-special weapon squad).

You may even want to question having a melta gun in 500 points at all and look at other upgrades (special weapons or otherwise)

Just some food for thought; as stated, your 500 point list sounds pretty good :)

Hellwolve
06-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Before going over your suggestions, Paradox, I'd like to correct an error. The list above would be 505 points, not 500 points. I mixed stuff up when typing the above, and the actual list I meant to type is more as follows:

Chaos Lord w/ Power weapon & Combi-weapon.

Chaos Space Marines #1, Aspiring Champion w/ Power weapon, Meltagun, Chaos Rhino.

Chaos Space Marines #2, Aspiring Champion, Meltagun, Chaos Rhino.

Chaos Predator w/ Heavy bolters.
(Internal ref.: variant #3)
That being said...If I drop a single Meltagun and the Lord's Combi-weapon, I'd have 20 points left; not enough for a Powerfist.

Since neither squad has enough models to field a Missile launcher, Autocannon, Heavy bolter or a Lascannon, I've got a few options left:
Twin-linked bolter for either or both of the Champions
Combi-weapon for either or both of the Champions
Plasma pistol for either Champion
Melta bombs for either or both of the Champions
Chaos Glory for either or both of the Squads
Plasma gun for either Squad
Flamer for either or both of the Squads
Obviously, options increase if I drop both Meltaguns :)

Thinking about it, if I won't keep the above (corrected) list, I'd probably go as far as dropping both Meltaguns, giving one Champion a Power weapon, the other a Power fist and my Lord Melta Bombs, next to his Power weapon, since dropping a single Meltagun and the Combi-weapon doesn't open up options I like.

Snyderson
06-16-2010, 07:15 AM
I haven't got the points in my head, but would dropping both PWs and meltas yield enough points for a PF and a plasmagun?
I'd then split up in a shooty and CC squad. Plasma S7 should be able to crack most vehicles in 500pt games...?

Hellwolve
06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
It would, actually! Let's call that variant #6 ;)

Hellwolve
07-08-2010, 04:35 PM
My apolagies for the double post, but, I actually finished the first mini for this army :D

http://hellwolve.kikaimegami.com/40k/iw/close_combat_aspiring_champion1.jpg

He's the Aspiring Champion for the squad that'll be modelled with their close combat gear at the ready. Quite chuffed with him :D

Ulf
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I played 500 Pts with CSM against a nasty Eldar list (2 Wraithlords + Avatar), it looked something like this:

1 Chaos Lord with Power Fist

2 Squads of 6 Chaos Space Marines with Melta and Champion with Powerfist in Rhinos with Havoc Launchers

Hellwolve
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Quite close to what I'll be using; I'll go for two squads of five marines, no Melta's and a Pred :)

jumai
07-10-2010, 05:11 AM
You know you're 5 points over, right?

Personally, if I could find the 5 points more, I'd probably prefer a stock Daemon Prince to a Lord with a power weapon. Much more dangerous, tougher, and doesn't splat to strength 8. He *can* be shot at, but that's workable.

If you must put your HQ in a rhino, I'd consider a Doom Bolt sorcerer, who (also for 5 points more) loses almost nothing relevant and gains the force weapon effect and a relevant ranged attack. If WS5 isn't just as good as WS6, the force weapon probably outweighs it, and Fearless isn't so nice when you're in a squad that isn't.

If you don't mind a little counts-as, Iron Warrior models decked out in bionics are a great way to represent the rules for plague marines. You could consider some footslogging plague marines as home objective holders... their small-arms resistance minimizes their lack of armour, you gain Fearless, and they can take 2 plasma guns at minimum size (which they're awesome at not dying from). If you skip the champion with a mind to letting them hang back, you save 5 points compared to the CSM squad.

Another cheap and interesting way to hold the home objective is 5 noise marines with a blastmaster. For 140 points, a fearless scoring unit that shoot a 48" pinning krak missile template... actually kind of cool IMO. The blastmaster could easily be modelled as an Iron Warriory experimental contraption.

I'd also suggest squeezing in a fist somewhere.

I like the predator. It's annoying that it's hard to fit in, but 100 points for 8 dice of heavy weapons on respectable armour looks real nice in this small of a game.

I guess personally, I'd try 5 CSM with a Fist and a Rhino, 5 noise marines with a blastmaster, a doombolt sorc, and a dakka pred.

Hellwolve
07-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Jumai, I must admit, my previous reply was too short...It missed a few details ;) The list as it is planned currently is as follows:

Chaos Lord w/ Power weapon and Melta Bombs.
Chaos Space Marines squad #1 w/ Aspiring Champion w/ Power fist and a Chaos Rhino as transport.
Chaos Space Marines squad #2 w/ Plasma gun and Aspiring Champion and a Chaos Rhino as transport.
Chaos Predator w/ Heavy bolters.

In my previous post I mostly referred to similar ideas as far as infantry goes :)

But, your ideas are quite nice...Count-as I've no problems with and more options to play with are always nice ;)

Also...In the future, I see a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour...But what to equip him with? Lightning Claws sound nice...