PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt Dark Angels King of the hill list!

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 03:21 AM
My gaming group has just started a homebrew King of the Hill Campaign and this weekend is my first week entering the fray. I'm relatively new to the game (been playing for almost a year but don't really have the time for a ton of games) and am seeking some insight from more experienced players on my list. Now bear in mind, I'm playing a Dark Angels successor chapter so I'm using their Codex. Not necessarily a great start but here we go:

Warp Sentinels Goreswirl Campaign 2500 pts

Belial - 185 lightning claws, apothecary and banner upgrade
Azreal - 225
Damocles Command Rhino - 60 Advanced Comm, Teleport Homer

Troops
Deathwing Squads X3 -
1. 245 A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant w/ power sword & s bolter, apothecary
2. 215 Thunder hammer & S. Shields X4, sergeant w/ power sword & s bolter, deathwing banner
3. 250 Heavy flamer, A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant with Thunder hammer & S. Shield, apothecary
Tactical Squad - 200 stock w/ Rhino
Tactical Squad - 165 stock

Elites -
Dreadnought - 145 CCW/w Heavy Flamer, Multimelta, Extra Armour,
Venerable Dreadnought - 190 Missile Launcher, Lascannon, Extra Armour,
Dreadnought Tankhunter Spearhead - 60

Heavy Support -
Devastator Squad - 185 Heavy bolter, Missile Launcher, Plasma Cannon, Lascannon
Predator tank - 125 Twin-Linked Lascannon, Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter, Extra armour
Land Raider - 250

2500 Total

My general Strategy is to use the Damocles command rhino (DCR from here on) to control my deathwings entry in hopes of delaying them till late game since they are scoring. The board has a single objective in the middle of the table, where the current king (Chaos Marine Player) starts. I know deepstriking is risky but the teleport homer of the DCR allows me to reroll their teleport scatters. Will use the landraider to transport a Tactical Squad with Azreal so they all get the 4+ invul. to hold the objective while supporting it with the predator. The Dreads will be running around the board popping vehicles with the +1 to pen. from the Spearhead Formation. Belial will be attached to the TH/SS squad and will be the "Alamo" squad, using the 3+ invul from the storm shields to ward themselves after teleporting as close as possible to the objective.

Ok so those were my ideas but anyone with some good thoughts or criticisms please feel free!
Thanks

Tynskel
06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Awesome--- I love Dark Angels!

Comments and Suggestions:

1) The Belial Apothecary/Banner upgrades only work for one squad (p. 79 C:DA).

2) I would use the entries in the Imperial Armor for all your tanks, considering you are using the Damocles. I am also making the assumption that you'll be using the Updated Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields for your Deathwing Squads, since you are using Forgeworld Rules.

At that point, I would take the 'Poor Man's Annihilator'.

120 Predator
Lascannon Sponsons

Also, for your Dreadnought formation, I would use Mortis Dreads for the Tank Hunters--- those are Dark Angels Specific Dreadnoughts!

140 Mortis Dreadnought
Two Twin-Linked Autocannons, Extra Armor
170 Mortis Dreadnought
Two Twin-Linked Lanscannons, Extra Armor

One last thing,
Spearheads are supposed to be made from the same entry. If you are deciding to use the Forgeworld rules n' upgrades, you should also change your dreadnoughts to the ones in the Forgeworld list--- you cannot have only the good and none of the bad...
Also, the Spearhead does not take up slots in the Force Organization Chart, for example, the Dreadnoughts are not purchased under the Elites category, they are purchased as a Spearhead. (the exception is Dedicated Transports-- they take up a Hv Support Choice).

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the great advice, especially in regards to the Mortis Dreads as well as a clarification on the spearhead as far as force org. goes. Since its a homebrewed ruleset, we're allowed to pull in extras from anything that's gamesworkshop affiliated (white dwarf, forgeworld etc.) so I used the Damocles. I don't actually own the IA books, a friend lent me them to me briefly so I got the Damocles stats from there so unfortunatly I can't pull all my tanks from that source since I don't have the books at the moment! but thanks again for the awesome help.

Tynskel
06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
If you have the current Space Marine book, all of the standard tanks/dreadnoughts are in there. Forgeworld recently came out with an update that basically uses all of the same rules.

The Mortis is the only thing that isn't in the Space Marine book, however, they do have the same Autocannon Variant.
The Mortis stats are the same as the standard Dread.
The dual Missile Launcher is 105, dual twin-hv bolter is +10, dual twin-autocannon +20, and the dual twin-las is +50. Ex Armor is +15.

They also changed up the Damocles--- I would search for the Imperial Armor 2 FAQ v1.3.

The Damocles has an orbital bombardment exact same rules as Chapter Master in the Space Marine book.
The Teleport homer is actually re-roll scatter for Teleporting units.
Improved Comms is re-roll once per turn a reserves roll.
And, if you are playing Apocalypse, the Orbital Bombardment becomes the one in the Apocalypse Stratagem.

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Awesome, I'll flip through the C:SM again and check it out. Any thoughts on tactics? Maybe something I've overlooked or haven't thought of? Going against CSM, Tau, Necrons, Tyranids, and possibly Sisters or SW.

Tynskel
06-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I also noticed that you have both a Hv Flamer and an Assault Cannon in the same terminator squad--- can't do that. However, you can purchase a Cyclone Missile Launcher for the Thunder Hammer Terminator Squad--- it's a pretty wicked weapon.

hmmm... overall tactics...

1) Be aggressive with the Terminators--- with the Damocles, you have a good chance of landing where you want to be with the Terminators. Terminators are best in CC, so make sure they get there. Ignore objectives with the Terminators, unless they coincide with eliminating the most dangerous threats. Just treat that the Terminators ability to claim as a nice bonus. You have 2 Squads of Marines, that can also combat squad, to take and hold objectives.

2) You are thin on the anti-tank with the way your dreads and tanks are equipped. I highly recommend the Mortis Variants and the Pred Destructor with Lascannon Sponsons. I am not sure you need extra armor on either- that can free up some serious points-- ~60. This is enough to upgrade the Rhino to a Razorback with Hv Bolters, and give Sgt. Power Weapons, and equip the squads with specail/heavy weapons.

This will up your anti-tank overall.

3) I'd get more plasma into Tactical Squad that Azreal is going to be working with--- a plasma pistol, plasma rifle, and Azreal's combi-plasma is some serious firepower.

4) Support your Terminators--- they kick-butt, but they need the help of your fellow marines to eliminate the enemy with minimal casualties.

5) overall, your list is an in your face list--- and should be used accordingly. The only units that should be hanging back are the Devastators and the 2 Dreads (if you use Mortis Dreads).

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Awesome Tynskel, thanks alot. This will all be really helpful. Already changing the list in order to incorporate those suggestions.

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
ok so new list, with suggested units built-in:

Belial, Master of the Wardens - 185, lightning claws, apothecary and banner
Azeal, Grand Master of the Warp Sentinels - 225 Helm of the Maker, Sacred Blade of Caliban, Gurthang the Thirst Blade

Troops -
Deathwing X3 -
1. 245 A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant w/ power sword & s bolter
2. 235 Thunder hammer & S. Shields X4, sergeant w/ power sword & s bolter, Cyclone Missile Launcher deathwing banner, apothecary
3. 245 A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant with Thunder hammer & S. Shield
Tactical Squad - 230 Sgt. w/ power weapon, Plasma Gun, Rhino
Tactical Squad - 180 Meltagun, Sgt. w/ Meltabombs

Spearhead (Tankhunter) - 60
Mortis Dreadnought - 125 Twin Linked Autocannons X2
Mortis Dreadnought - 155 Twin Linked Lascannons X2

Heavy Support -
Predator tank - 120 Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons
Land Raider – 250
Total - 2500

Tynskel
06-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Your Second Thunder Hammer Squad

I want to make sure that you have everyone equipped correctly.

The Sgt has Storm Bolter and Power Weapon
One Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield with a Cyclone Launcher
One Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield with Apothecary Items
One Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield with Deathwing Banner
One Terminator with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield.

I would recommend either to give the Sgt Lightning Claws or Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield-- This is a Close Combat Squad, and you want to be killing as much as possible--- Having 5 Lightning Claw attacks or 4 thunder Hammer Attacks on the charge will be better than have 2 Storm Bolter and 4 Power Weapon attacks on the Charge.

The Cyclone is an 'icing on the cake' thing- One trick is to pop the pair of Kraks at a transport, then charge the unit inside. Or, if you are dealing with a Horde, fire off 2 Frag Missiles then Charge.

I assume Belial is also in this squad--- he needs protection, and another Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield will do wonders. He'll have 6 Lightning Claw attacks on the charge at I5--- he's pretty wicked. Back that up by 20 Thunder Hammer attacks, and you'll smash apart just about anything.

chevelle4
06-04-2010, 11:26 PM
yeah sorry, changed that in the list (made sgt. into TH/SS) just accidently posted the list without the edit.

Belial, Master of the Wardens - 185, lightning claws, apothecary and banner upgrade
Azeal, Grand Master of the Warp Sentinels - 225 Helm of the Maker, Sacred Blade of Caliban (master crafted sword), Lion's Roar (master crafted Combi-Plasma)

Troops -
Deathwing X3 -
1. 245 A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant w/ power sword & s bolter
2. 235 Thunder hammer & S. Shields X5, Cyclone Missile Launcher, deathwing banner, apothecary
3. 245 A. Cannon, powerfists & s bolters X3, sergeant with Thunder hammer & S. Shield
Tactical Squad - 230 Sgt. w/ power weapon, Plasma Gun, Rhino
Tactical Squad - 180 Meltagun, Sgt. w/ Meltabombs

Spearhead (Tankhunter) - 60
Mortis Dreadnought - 125 Twin Linked Autocannons X2
Mortis Dreadnought - 155 Twin Linked Lascannons X2

Heavy Support -
Predator tank - 120 Autocannon, Lascannon Sponsons
Land Raider – 250
Total - 2500

Tynskel
06-05-2010, 01:18 AM
last thing-- isn't the Damocles a HQ unit? That makes your list have 3 HQs--- if you are using Spearhead, you can still only take 2 HQs. There are ways around it with formations. However, you guys might be running a special FOC.

chevelle4
06-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Yeah they guys in the group wrote up their own FOC for the game. its essentially almost anything goes, but I still prefer the sanity of organization. the only thing that really is still there is only scoring units can claim the hill. you can check out the rules if you like at goreswirl.blogspot.com.