PDA

View Full Version : 2k Space Wolves, an outsider's view

Melissia
06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Taking my two favorite units in the SW list, and making an army out of them.

HQ:
Wolf Lord Terminator w/TH+SS, Wolf Tail Talisman, Saga of Majesty

Troops
10x Blood Claws w/Power Weapon
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod

Heavy Support
5x Long Fangs w/2x Multi-Meltas, 3x Missile Launchers
-- Long Fang Leader w/Meltagun, Power Weapon
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod

Alternatively, 2x5 missile launchers, and 1x5 multi-meltas, with the multi-meltas deploying behind enemy lines if possible along with the wolf lord.

Alternatively, the Wolf Lord could have 2x Wolf Claws and Saga of the Bear instead.

Lerra
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Space Wolves in drop pods are great with counter-attack =) I'd try to clear out room in one of the Blood Claw drop pods for the Wolf Lord, though. When I've played a sort-of-similar list, the wolf lord tends to attract a lot of firepower, and it generally works out better to have people shooting at cheap blood claws instead of killing the long fangs.

I'd go with 2x5 missile launchers and 1x5 multi-meltas, that way you have the option to deploy the missile launchers normally and drop their pods empty.

You might want to consider adding Wolf Guard sergeants to some of the squads, too. For 18 points you get an extra ablative wound in the Long Fangs, and for 23 you get a Wolf Guard with combi-melta to complement the meltagun. For 43 points you can get a Wolf Guard with a powerfist and combi-melta, which is a pretty good deal for the points and can make a blood claw squad a lot more threatening versus tough or armored targets.

Sir Biscuit
06-05-2010, 11:36 AM
You're going to want characters with those blood claw packs, otherwise they're pretty much strictly worse than Grey Hunters. Remember, they don't get to shoot with out an attached character/wolf guard.

Also, who does the lord hang out with? Is he footslogging it across the board? Remember, SW terminators cannot Deep Strike. You should clear out two claws in a pod for him.

You should also put some kind of weapon on those claws. At least a flamer, as it's free. Meltaguns are even better, because you need a way to bust heavy armor. The long fangs are okay at busting transports, but meltagun redundancy is key so you can bust transports and get locked up with what's inside. You can make the points for them without sacrificing anything, I'll show you in a sec.

Take one more claw out of each pod, and take a Wolf Guard. Switch the power weapon over to him as well, it'll net you the same number of PW attacks on the charge, more at every other time, and it actually saves you two points per squad. (Blood Claw + Power Weapon = 30 pts; Wolf Guard + Power Weapon = 28 pts.) It also means you will actually get to shoot with the claws. Also nets them +1 leadership, very nice in general and especially good because it helps when you roll for counter-attack.

That leaves you with 42 more points than you had before, and ups the effectiveness of the whole list. I'd spend those points on a meltagun for each squad (30) leaving you with 12. What you do with those twelve is up to you.

Melissia
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
After getting some advice from various places, here's a much better list:

HQ:
Wolf Lord in Runic Armor w/TH+SS, Wolf Tail Talisman, Wolftooth Necklace, Saga of the Bear

Troops
10x Grey Hunters w/Flamer, Meltagun, Power Fist
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
-- Drop Pod
9x Blood Claws w/Power Fist
-- Drop Pod

Heavy Support
5x Long Fangs w/5x Multi-Meltas
-- Long Fang Leader w/BP+CCW
-- Drop Pod
5x Long Fangs w/5x Missile Launchers
-- Drop Pod
5x Long Fangs w/5x Missile Launchers
-- Drop Pod

Melissia
06-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Also I realized I can proxy this army with my Sisters. Sisters "Counts As" Space Wolves.

Amusing.