PDA

View Full Version : eldar

thealmightypez
06-05-2010, 03:36 PM
so after months of trying, ive finally talked my girlfriend into getting back into 40k. she's recently grabbed a box of dire avengers and a farseer and wants to expand. she wants to play at around 750 points in order to get a feel for things. right now her list stands at

farseer with spirit stones and (i think) doom and fortune

2x 5 man squads of dire avengers
exarchs with defend and bladestorm

6 pathfinders

10 banshees
exarch with acrobatic and warshout

she wants my advice. i have never played eldar and dont know anything about their list other than the units are specialized. so i turn to any and all who've played the eldar. help please

Chexmix282
06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
She's spending way too many points on Exarchs. Using the models you've listed she should probably be playing 500 point games, not 750. Here's how i would run the models you've listed:

Farseer 130
-Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones

10 Dire Avengers 177
-Exarch w/ Power Weapon & Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend

5 Pathfinders 120

10 Banshees 182
-Exarch w/ Executioner

this is 489 points, and there is nothing to bust tanks with. From here I would add:

6 Fire Dragons 96
Falcon 165
-Shuriken Cannon, Holo-Fields, Spirit Stones

And this will bring you right up to 750. The Fire Dragons ride in the Falcon, as they need a transport to get to the foe. When you move up to 1000 point games i would get Wave Serpents for those Banshees and Dire Avengers (2 Wave Serpents with Scatter Lasers and Spirit Stones is 250 points, perfect!). Eldar have a very hard time winning footslogging battles, so its best to get used to playing a fairly mechanized army early on.

Hope that helps!

Cyndr
06-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Be very careful with banshees on foot. They tend to fall over in a gentle breeze on foot. Acrobatic is typically not taken on banshees either. Counter attack sounds good, however, if they are getting assaulted, they are not where they are supposed to be. They should be the ones to assault... always (yes in a perfect world :D)

Dire Avengers are typically played one of two ways:
1. Objective holder: Shimmer shield/sword and defend
-or-
2. Shooty: Dual Shuricat + Blade Storm

Using them for both is not typically going to go over well, because they will be doing one and not the other, and seeing as she wants to run pathfinders, she's got a home objective baby sitter unit. Maybe make one another objective sitter, and the other group of 5 shooty?

As far as expanding:
- a war walker might not be a bad idea. fairly cheap point wise, and can be equiped with some anti-tank goodness like chex mentioned.
- grabbing a wave serpent is going to be a must for those banshees. Mine never leave home without thiers.

Just remember, advice is fine, but I would definitely refrain from telling her how to run her army. Thats always some of the fun for some inexperienced players. When they beat you, it was with their list, not yours. I mean, I doubt that you guys will be doing much ultra competitive play. ;)

Hope I gave you a couple of tidbits for you guys. Have fun!

dvs1
06-10-2010, 03:06 AM
I'd downgrade the pathfinders to rangers, and use the points you save for either more bodies or goodies. I know pathfinders sound super awesome on paper, but in my experience, never make a return worth their investment. For some reason i can never roll the 4+ when that ap1 shot comes around...