PDA

View Full Version : 1500 lizardmen (skink), please comment

camo-skink
06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
this is for casual play, going against mainly tomb kings, wood elves, and skaven. i would like to test out the skink chief on terradon. please comment. :D

heros:
skink chief, general
- terradon mount
- staff of the lost sun, enchanted shied
- light armor
- 137 points

skink priest, level 2 wizard
- cloak of feathers
- plaque of tepok
- 140 points

skink priest, level 2 wizard
- 2 dispel scrolls
- 150 points

core:
skink cohort (16 skinks, 2 kroxigor)
- standard bearer, musician
- standard equipment
- 204 points

skink cohort (16 skinks, 1 kroxigor)
- standard bearer, musician
- standard equipment
- 149 points

5 skink skirmisher regiments (11 in a unit)
- blowpipes
- 77 points per unit, 385 total

special:
2 chameleon skinks (7 in a unit)
- standard equipment
- 84 points per unit, 168 total

terradon rider regiment (3 in a unit)
- standard equipment
- 90 points per unit

rare:
salamander hunting pack (1 razordons, 3 handlers)
- 75 points

- the chief will be joining the terradons, the skink priest with cloak will be solo, and the the skink priest on foot will join a unit of skink skirmishers.
- i'm good with both salamander and razordon, so i can go either way.
- that puts me at me at a total of 1498 points, feel free to criticizes and comment as much as you like.

camo-skink

Ulf
06-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I really like the theme here (skinks, yay!). That being said, I see two major problems you might encounter:

First, Skinks have only LD 6, so against Fear/Terror (Tomb Kings, Skaven too) enemies, you will have to test a lot, and probably will fail a lot, even though skinks are cold blooded. Try to make use of your generals LD as much as possible, the difference between 6 and 7 is huge, even more so with cold blooded.

Another weak spot of skinks in general is their puny toughness of 2. This means that even low strength Weapons like (short-/long-)bows will wreak havoc amongst them, again forcing them to test their LD a lot. Not much you can do against that.

The only thing to add I can think of (without ruining the skink-theme) are Stegadons. The ones with the poisoned Bolt Thrower would add some ranged firepower beyond the unreliable magic of level 2 wizards. If you mount your Chief on an ancient stegadon and give him the magic lance thingie, you have an expansive unit which can cause a lot of damage. Priests on Stegs are always awesome. If you want to add these without upping your point limit, I'd skip the salamanders and chameleon skinks.

Old_Paladin
06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
The really bad news is that this list will be illegal in about a month.

You're only allowed 25% of your points in hero level characters.
I'd drop the magic level off each of the priests to lower their points. Drop the cloak off the one, he'll just get picked off by something on his own (a chariot, screaming skull, bowfire or warpstone weapon).

A steg will add both solid hitting power and staying power to the army.
The problem with mounting characters of stegs is that mounts count towards the percentage limit, with 8th ed. right around the corner.

If you and your group aren't switching to the new edition anytime soon, then ignore my comments (other then try to get a steg in there).

camo-skink
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
first off thanks for the comments, go skinks! :D

to answer your questions concerning character choice and 8th edition, i do plan to use the rules as soon as they come out, and i do know that the character limit is over 25%.
- this is the reason why i'm not going to field a chief, or priest for that matter, do to the points cost of mount.
- do to the changes in magic that have been rumored, like new casting and dispelling rules, as well as base. magic items, there will most likely be a way for me to smoothly transition over to the new edition. the common magic items and wizard levels are going to have an entirely different impact on the game, so the current are kind of like place holders.
- as for the cloak of feathers, new flying rules may make it less useful, but we will play with the house rule, that fliers can go atop impassible terrain.
- i know that these decisions revolve many around rumors, but i take them with a grain of salt.

camo-skink