PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts of IG (trying some new things)

norge187
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
After at least 6 months of not playing due to my son i'm finally getting the chance to start playing again. I looked at some of my older lists and nothing appealed. So with some new Death Rider's I recently purchased from forgeworld (wife had heart attack...) I decided to re invent my IG list and try a few diffferent things for effect.

If anything let me know what to look out for and maybe gaps. I strayed from any heavy support relying more on speed and base of fire. I figured with the new Death riders that would give me a awesome counter assault unit to help my Gunline. So here it is. There are some options though for the last 65pts of my list that I haven't decided so a few idea's i have posted below but any would be appreciated.

HQ:
Boltgun
Regt. Standard
x2 plasma
vox
x2 Bodyguard

Vet. Squad
Sgt. w/ plasma & Power Sword
vox
x3 Melta's
Demolitions

Transport w/ stubber
Multi Las and hull HB

I. Platoon
PCS
CCW w/ Bolt Pistol
vox
x3 Flamers

x3 Infantry Squads
x3 AC's
x3 Vox
x3 GL's

Heavy Weapons Squad
x3 ML's

Sentinel Squadron (1):
x2 Scout Sentinel
x2 AC's
x2 smoke

Armoured Sentinel Squadron (2)
x1 Sentinel
w/ Plasma Cannon
smoke
Searchlight

Death Rider Squadron
w/ 5 Death riders
Sgt. w/ Plasma pistol

Total= 935

So with that total I'm left kinda in a pickle. Here are the few options I've kinda fiddled around with.

Option 1:
-Add a Commissar anywhere and give my HQ a complete bodyguard.

Option 2:
-Add one more Infantry squad with AC and a vox or special weapon

Option 3:
-Add one Transport anywhere and give it a Pintle Stubber

So what do ya'll think i'm very undecided?

Paradox
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey,

Your list looks great. To help you though;

Do you want to build this list to take on all comers or to specifically face the players you face all the time? If so, what are you generally going to be playing against?

Second, can you give a bit of detail on the death riders? I have the IG codex to get a feel for what else your putting forward, but just want to know if the death riders are essntially rough riders or have some more unique rules.

Look forward to hearing from you.

norge187
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Oh its just the standard Rough Riders from the IG Codex nothing fancy. Also just an All comers list mainly. Since I haven't played a game in a while and the first time in austin I need to just be able to go to the local scene and face anybody. Doing the 1000pts just to become more familiar with the rules, that and I can get more games in one day with just a 1000pt list than a 2000pt list. That and I'm not familiar with the meta game here in Austin so i'm sure it will be fun to find out.

Paradox
06-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds good. Yeah, it's been a long time since I played over 1000 points and is why I saw your list and thought I might be qualified to give some suggestion. Keep in mind though I'm a marine player and there haven't been any gurad players in our circles for some time now, so i'm only going off 'theory' from the codex.

I'm not going sugges any changes to the choices of unt, the sound pretty good and should make a characterful and useful army. It's refreshing to see you haven't drowned your army in melta weaponry for 1000 pts.

Options though;

First, might be a typo, but does your HQ have a vox? I'm guessing you want to make sure those orders from your HQ get through with a re-roll if required, but they'll need a vox too.

Other quick suggestion would be to get a transport for you HQ, means they can move where they need to to issue orders, and use that reg standard. To keep all the other units in check.

gtg, so might make some other suggestions later if you want hear more of my 'theory'.

I hope some (or all) of it is useful.

Cheers

Grabnutz
06-07-2010, 05:48 AM
A Chimera for your Vet's with an upgrade? Makes them more mobile and adds two more heavy weapons to the mix (never underestimate the humble Multi-Laser).

After all you've given them demolitions so you'll need something to get them in range to use their melta's...

Lord Azaghul
06-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Still got a few spare points? I think 4-5 ratlings would compliment this force quite well.
Infiltrating, stealth, snipers. A solid and cheap harrasment unit.

norge187
06-07-2010, 08:05 AM
First, might be a typo, but does your HQ have a vox? I'm guessing you want to make sure those orders from your HQ get through with a re-roll if required, but they'll need a vox too.

Other quick suggestion would be to get a transport for you HQ, means they can move where they need to to issue orders, and use that reg standard. To keep all the other units in check.

gtg, so might make some other suggestions later if you want hear more of my 'theory'.

I hope some (or all) of it is useful.

Cheers

Yeah I completely forgot about the vox for the Company HQ. I really wish to give the standard a try so I'll cut out the medic which will free up some serious points.

A Chimera for your Vet's with an upgrade? Makes them more mobile and adds two more heavy weapons to the mix (never underestimate the humble Multi-Laser).

After all you've given them demolitions so you'll need something to get them in range to use their melta's...

Yeah the transport is up there I forgot to space it so it was there.

Still got a few spare points? I think 4-5 ratlings would compliment this force quite well.
Infiltrating, stealth, snipers. A solid and cheap harrasment unit.

I wouldn't mind actually trying these I may see if someone will let me proxy them in. I don't currently own any of those and after purchasing the death riders from Forge World the wife is a little hesitant to let me buy anything else for now lol.

- So now by removing the medic which frees up quite a bit of points I think I will add some bodyguard in place of the medic. At least allow if anything an extra turn of survival for the HQ.

Lord Azaghul
06-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't mind actually trying these I may see if someone will let me proxy them in. I don't currently own any of those and after purchasing the death riders from Forge World the wife is a little hesitant to let me buy anything else for now lol.

I scratch build most of my ratlings. ( inherited a large bits bag)
I took some catachin torsos and heads, cut the barrel out of a standard lasgun, replaced it with the vox caster antenna, then put the end (sights) back on. I used Binoculars to add 'scopes', and I had some spare goblin legs that I used for the ratlings legs.

I've also seem people just have some rifles pooking out of some brush or brushes for ratlings.
Get creative and you can build most any IG infantry unit!