PDA

View Full Version : New 'Ard Boyz list.

vutall
06-08-2010, 11:34 PM
So, in light of the release of the new scenarios, I have amended my list. What do you think about this?

HQ: Pedro Cantor
Troops: Tactical Squad: Flamer, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Rhino
Troops: 10 Man Grey Knights
Troops: 10 Man Grey Knights
Elite: Multi-Melta CCW Dreadnought in Drop Pod
Heavy: Land Raider
Heavy: Land Raider
Heavy: Land Raider Crusader

The main tactic for this is still to have gunline marines, but can be mobile (and assaulty with +1A Grey Knights charging out of land raiders) when needed.

Tynskel
06-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I like the idea.

Personally, I think it can be flushed out with dropping the crusader, replace with a Vindicator w/siege shield, and then upgrade the Tactical Squads (Plasma Rifles, Powerfists, ect.)

Maybe downgrading a tactical squad to a Scout Squad and taking a Storm and some land speeders.

PRoeske
06-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Looks like a lot of fun :/ :P.

I like Tynskel's idea of dropping the crusader for a vindicator. Leaves you with about 130 points of nastyness. Maybe add an Inquisitor /w mystics (i really like them), to be paired with the vindicator against deepstriking. Then you still have about 100 pts left to take 2 speeders.

Downgrading a tac squad for some scouts sounds good as well. Gives you plenty points to buy a landspeeder storm and some gear.

Another option might be to delete Pedro as HQ choice, and take another character, like Khan (Outflanking is great), or Cato.

Grt. Pim

DarkLink
06-09-2010, 08:26 AM
I'd also switch out a squad of the GKs for GK Terminators, if you have the models.

Also note that GKs do not get +1A on the charge (at least, power armor GKs don't). Read the GK True Grit rules.

vutall
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
They get +1A from Pedro :) I have the models for the terminators, (have 30 of them) But the question is, are terminators worth loosing a Troop choice?

Tynskel
06-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Right now, you have 40 marines, that can be put into 8 squads of 5. That's pretty resilient- especially since they are all mounted.
Heavy hitters-- units that will squish units that kill your Troops, will aide you immensely.

You could probably squeeze in a Grand Master with bodyguard. That's pretty sweet, and they are realllly good at squishing things.

vutall
06-09-2010, 12:18 PM
A unit of 7 + grand master is 467 points. I would have to drop both my Grey Knight squads. Im undecided. The PAGK do really well in assault with Pedro giving them an extra attack. I played against a Sanguinary Guard BA army and at the end of the game, all he had left were 10 models: a 5 man combat squad, 2 vanguards, and 3 sanguinary guard. Granted, all I had left was 3 land raiders, but that's because I made the mistake of instead of choosing to assault him with my 15 or so men left, I shot him. Forgot all marines have bolt pistols!

Tynskel
06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
You could go with 3 more terminators, rather than the Grand Master.

10 Grey Knight Terminators replacing 20 Grey Knights I think is a good trade. Slip a couple Thunder Hammers in there, and I think your list can take on just about anything.

That's 490 points.
2 Squads of Grey Knights= 550

That gives you 60 points left over--- you could use that to upgrade some Sgts. to Powerfists. Maybe a Daemon Hammer on the Brother Captain.

10 Grey Knight Terminators with Pedro = 42 Attacks that ignore armor saves-- easily 8-15 of those could be Thunder Hammer Attacks. Ouch.

DarkLink
06-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I'd go with a slightly smaller unit of GKT's. 5 Terminators is 245pts, and there's a little left over for a few Incinerators, which can be fantastic. Then you'd still have your other squad of 10 GKs. You could even go with 5 or 9 to fit in another Terminator or two.

vutall
06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
One thought I had today while sitting was this: Drop 2 PAGK squads, -550pts
Add in two 5 man melta IST's + Rhino: 120 each = +240
Brother Captain + 5 Terminators 1 Incinerator 306

Tynskel
06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't go with Imperial Storm Troopers unless you have to.

This is what I suggest:
175 HQ: Pedro Cantor
250 Troops: Tactical Squad: Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Powerfist, Combi-Melta, Razorback
230 Troops: Tactical Squad: Flamer, Missile Launcher, Powerfist, Rhino
220 Troops: Tactical Squad: Flamer, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Rhino
220 Troops: Tactical Squad: Flamer, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Rhino
90 Troops: 5 Scouts, Power Weapon + BP, 3 Shotguns, 1 BP + Chainsword
140 Elite: Multi-Melta CCW Dreadnought in Drop Pod
245 Elite: Grey Knight Terminators, Brother Capt. 4 Terms, 1 with TH+SS
245 Elite: Grey Knight Terminators, Brother Capt. 4 Terms, 1 with TH+SS
250 Heavy: Land Raider
250 Heavy: Land Raider
125 Heavy: Vindicator w/ Siege Shield
60 Fast Attack: Land Speeder Storm w/ Multi-Melta

Gives you a good mix-- the Razorback can rush up and the marines can toast a vehicle. The Hv Bolter just blazes away.
The Vindicator + 2 Land Raiders make a great Phalanx-- what do you shoot? The Land Raiders, or the Vindicator...

The Grey Knights + Pedro are Crazy.

And then you have lots of troops- and that zippin' Land Speeder Carrying a squad of Scouts to claim things in the end.

DarkLink
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Just a minor detail, one of those GKT squads would have to be an HQ choice. You can only ally in 1 Elite unit from C: DH.

Tynskel
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Forgot about that!

Easy fix, however-- you make the Brother Captain in one squad the HQ leader (it's the same thing!), and then purchase a retinue (same cost altogether).

However, shelling out ~80 points for the Grand Master is fun (more wounds, better Initiative and BS, plus an awesome 'Ard Boyz force weapon). Easy to drop the Scouts, and change the Storm into a regular land speeder (or keep it as a Storm for the outflanking speeder).

DarkLink
06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Forgot about that!

Easy fix, however-- you make the Brother Captain in one squad the HQ leader (it's the same thing!), and then purchase a retinue (same cost altogether).

However, shelling out ~80 points for the Grand Master is fun (more wounds, better Initiative and BS, plus an awesome 'Ard Boyz force weapon). Easy to drop the Scouts, and change the Storm into a regular land speeder (or keep it as a Storm for the outflanking speeder).

Yeah, like I said, minor detail.

A GKGM is potentially very useful, especially since you don't really have a hard-hitting CC HQ (Pedro's just got a power fist). However, you might get more benifit from more bodies in this case.

Think about this: a GKGM and 4 GKTs. When in range of Pedro, that's 6 I5 and 16 I4 str6 power weapon attacks on the charge (22 attacks total). Trade the GKGM for a Brother Captain and two Terminators (almost the same price), and you now have 29 I4 Str6 power weapon attacks on the charge. And everything's WS 5 anyways, so that doesn't matter.

If you feel you need an I5 character, or a force weapon that can take out eternal warriors, go for the GM. However, in this list I'd take a BC and extra terminators over a GM, since you get more bonus attacks out of Pedro that way.

Tynskel
06-10-2010, 01:30 AM
That looks like a fun list to use. I would like to use that list-- I just don't have the Grey Knights (or models that look like appropriate stand ins). :( Nor do I have a gagillion Rhinos. I have lots of predators, but I just can bring myself to slaughtering my tanks just to magnetize them.