PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Dwarves are Returning!

Bigred
07-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Straight from Gamesday Chicago. No timelines, but they are in the schedule.

Let the furnaces of Zharr Naggrund belch forth the flames of hell...

Randroid
07-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Really!? Will they have funny hats?! Holy crap this is the best news I have heard all day! :eek:

Darkseer
07-26-2009, 01:54 AM
Brilliant news! But would you want to play an army that won't be well supported in the years to come?

Harry
07-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Brilliant news! But would you want to play an army that won't be well supported in the years to come?

GW have said that they will continue to support all the existing armies.
When they bring back CD I have no doubt that they will see as much support as any other army and be slotted in the schedule in the years to come just like all the others.

rabscutle
07-31-2009, 07:19 AM
Finally! The army that went out of print literally the day I started into Warhammer gaming is coming back...

My first army... I can't freaking wait... hopefully they won't suck...

M3mph1s
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
I can't wait for this one. I love the new look of the Chaos Dwarfs that they used for the Helcannon Crew, and I've even fiddled around with my BfSP Dwarfs, making a few of them chaos. They're a really deep and awesome army and I'd love to see this follow through!

Slaanesh
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
From what i heard from some local red shirts they will be a Fw Army =/

WoodenPickles
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
I can't wait. The second there is a date I will be even happier, I hope most everything is plastic.

Snarf
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Brilliant news! BUT i would not hold my breath on this one...

captain_sketch
07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
my first fantasy match was against the chaos dwarfs. he was really bummed they werent around anymore. its kool they are bringing them back. Why did they get rid of them in the first place???

BloodAngel
07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Great another army to start up:p. Well hopefully it will be sometime before there relesed. I have a lot of other things to finish painting first.

GrimDarkOtter
07-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I am happy for this. I love certain parts of the dwarf play style (castled infantry, warmachines) but hate the models with a vengeance. Especially the BFSP models. Let Chaos reign free and true.

Lord Sandwich
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Wheeeeeee! I'm already pumped up for this release, so much so that I've started converting my existing Dwarves into their dark brethren. I'm excited, no matter how much GW changes CD, they can't be less supported than they already are, right? RIGHT? :eek:

GPrime
08-01-2009, 03:07 AM
My good friend will be beside himself. I got him into fantasy with CDs because it was an army with a rocket launcher. Him being a 40k lover

RandomX
08-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I have not read a definitive, concrete thing on WHO will make them.

Will they be a resin FW army ala Krieg? I have heard that FW is interested in doing a fantasy resin army.

I will be doing them no matter what, as they encompass the two things I love about Fantasy, Chaos and Dwarves. And cannon for good measure.

-Eric

Mindless-Focus
08-01-2009, 04:05 PM
This was my first and only fantasy army. i almost had 1500 points of them when they decided to drop them. i sold them the next month. i look forward to their rerelease. hopefully it isnt forgeworld as they are a bit pricey.

wallacer
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I'll be more excited once Harry, Hastings or GW themselves are actually able to provide something more concrete than a vague assurance that all armies will be updated at some point.

Rumours like these are both fascinating and frustrating:

Don't forget there may even be a new army to come out somewhere in the lineup of books to be updated too.

Well when he says "new" .....

BilboBaggins
08-03-2009, 11:05 PM
This is a typical GW we'll get to it in time to keep people quiet for another year or so.

They did it with Squats before the had the Tyranids eat them, then came up with Demiurge to quiet the rabble for a while.

There have been rumours of a Chaos Dwarf update since I started playing Warhammer in Early 6th Edition, still hasn't happened. White Dwarf Canada actually put the Ravening Hordes list in an issue last year.

Gnarly
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
This is a typical GW we'll get to it in time to keep people quiet for another year or so.

They did it with Squats before the had the Tyranids eat them, then came up with Demiurge to quiet the rabble for a while.

I do not know about this. From what I have heard not only are they in the list pipeline they are coming out next year. :) My friend was right about other rumours in teh past, so I trust him on this as well.

Sigose
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I do not know about this. From what I have heard not only are they in the list pipeline they are coming out next year. :) My friend was right about other rumours in teh past, so I trust him on this as well.

Besides, Chaos dwarf online has a petition for this and GW said to them in a letter that something would happen by 2k9 and it is 2k9 and we are finally seeing the return begin, my local store has placed orders for the upcoming models he said so. :D

Gnarly
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Placed orders for upcoming models..? You mean they already have a list?

Joker's Wild
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
This should be cool. I'm looking forward to it.

BilboBaggins
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Besides, Chaos dwarf online has a petition for this and GW said to them in a letter that something would happen by 2k9 and it is 2k9 and we are finally seeing the return begin, my local store has placed orders for the upcoming models he said so. :D

Interesting that someone placed orders for models that aren't on the preorder list. I play the Dark side of the Dwarfs and if there was a pre-order going on the GW store I play at would have told me about it.

Karrik
08-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Chaos Dwarfs.

BilboBaggins
08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Chaos Dwarfs.

Using GW normal plural that would be right, but if you follow Tolkien the plural for Dwarf is Dwarves.

Asymmetrical Xeno
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd love to collect Chaos Dwarves, honestly they are the only WHF army that arent completely cliche generic fantasy. Being a massive fan of Ayssyrian/Sumerian/babylonian mythology these guys appealed to me, I loved the look of them, and yes the hats - they just need new better sculpts in that style IMO. They are certainly the one and only original army in WHF.

Karrik
08-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Using GW normal plural that would be right, but if you follow Tolkien the plural for Dwarf is Dwarves.

Correct. So in this case?

Warhammer Fantasy Battle allows you to field an army of Chaos Dwarfs. Some with Guns.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand allows you to field Dwarves. Some with Bows.

Because they are different game systems. With different spellings.

An announcement about a release of Chaos Dwarves would be very different from that which was made at Gamesday Chicago. Very different.
In much the same way as a thread that tells us all to expect some wonderful new Orks wouldn't have Orc players reaching for their wallets. Except those who play both - who would simply be disappointed rather than critically misinformed.

BilboBaggins
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
But most people prefer to use the correct plural for Dwarf which is Dwarves. I just don't expect GW to fix mistakes from years ago.

Karrik
08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
But most people prefer to use the correct plural for Dwarf which is Dwarves. I just don't expect GW to fix mistakes from years ago.

It isn't correct. Dwarfs is correct given the root of Warhammer Dwarfs. They are more inspired by C.S. Lewis than by Tolkien - so Dwarfs. Crossbows rather than Bows. Beer rather than Pipes. Mountains of Mourne.
Aslan beats Gandalf.

There is an argument for a whole lump of Brothers Grimm in there too - which would mean Dwarfs too.

DnD on the other hand lifts its Dwarves straight out of Tolkien. And so it is Dwarves.
Spelling it Dwarves is the sure sign that you are one of those roleplayer kids I used to bully.

xarius
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
this is one i'd say will be post DE so not for a very long time. they have a great look but it could really go either way. they really just faded out though. they werent killed like squats or zoats

BilboBaggins
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
It isn't correct. Dwarfs is correct given the root of Warhammer Dwarfs. They are more inspired by C.S. Lewis than by Tolkien - so Dwarfs. Crossbows rather than Bows. Beer rather than Pipes. Mountains of Mourne.
Aslan beats Gandalf.

There is an argument for a whole lump of Brothers Grimm in there too - which would mean Dwarfs too.

DnD on the other hand lifts its Dwarves straight out of Tolkien. And so it is Dwarves.
Spelling it Dwarves is the sure sign that you are one of those roleplayer kids I used to bully.

Never did role play, rather race RC cars or play street hockey or read Tolkien. :D

Now back on topic.

I still won't believe that the Chaos Dwarfs are being released until I can pre-order my army book at the local GW store. Even then I will have my doubts until the book is in my hands.

HammerofVaul
08-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Chaos dwarfs will be pretty cool, but I was really hoping for Cathay to happen, I mean this will be the 4th chaos army in fantasy. And, with how the Daemon and Warriors books have been, I'm a bit weary of how the rules will be.

Aldramelech
08-07-2009, 01:33 AM
I hope they don't look anything like the old ones. My least favorite GW models ever.

Karrik
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I hope they don't look anything like the old ones. My least favorite GW models ever.

Unless they look like the Regiment of Renown ones. They looked a lot like the ones currently crewing the Hellcannon.

I didn't really mind the ones with the tall hats. That said I am not sure if they fit into the new, meaner, more gothic Warhammer.

BilboBaggins
08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I know of no Regiment of Renown Choas Dwarfs.

There were 3rd edition "Marauder" style and 5th edition "Big Hat" Style. There are fans of both on Chaos Dwarfs Online (http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com). I'm a Big Hat fan, I have a 3000 point painted (and another few thousand to paint) Chaos Dwarf army I play regularly.

Grimstonefire
08-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Unless you mean the Renegades collection? Foaming Mad Furrikson... *shudders* ;)

Karrik
08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Unless you mean the Renegades collection?

Perhaps. Although the box has the Warhammer Regiments logo - like my Bugmans and my Imperial Dwarfs.

It was in the box with polystyrene insert rather than the hard blister.

Come to think about it wasn't there a Hobgoblin Regiment in a hard blister?

Most of the Marauder stuff came in hard blisters - the Citadel toys came in box sets or soft blisters.

Karrik
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Dear God! I had completely forgotten about the Whirlwind and Tenderiser. And the Bazooka and Swivel Gun.
But I wasn't familiar with the rest of the early Warmachines.
What a great range.

Grimstonefire
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
The lastest news article on the main site on this could hardly have been more vague.

Forgeworld are making some CD, this much we know. Does the latest news article mean they are making ALL of them? It seems to imply it, but I seriously doubt that somehow...

The other parts on the DoC... This article could have been from 3 months ago and still been up to date! :p

cbfuller21
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
With the Hellcannon having a few of them... I'd be interested to see where the fit with the rest of the chaos "family" as it were.