View Full Version : 1850 Fast Tyranid List

fupersudge
06-13-2010, 07:28 AM
List...

HQ : Flying Hive Tyrant and another Flying Hive Tyrant
Elites : 6 Zoanthropes, 2 squads of 3 in pods. Also Doom in a pod
Fast Attack : 3 squads of 20 gargoyles
Troops : 2 squads of 16 genestealers

What I am trying to do is be able to lock squads / objectives with the genestealers then deepstrike the gargoyles in to multi assault if the stealers are being little pansys, or assault something different if the stealers are going strong. I could always fly the gargoyles, but with them being like gaunts chances are I will lose a lot of them making it to a target.

When it comes to upgrades, not trying to use a whole lot so I can field more models.

Iuno, haven't been playing / list building long at all. A few months maybe, so any help would be greatly considered.

Lemt
06-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Too few troops IMHO. 2 squads is the minimun needed, but remember 2/3ds of missions need you to coapture objectives. If the genestealers die, you pretty much loose. Zoans I really prefer them as 2x2. Cut a Tyrant for something else (two is overkill), split the Genestealers into squads of 8-10 and give the Toxin Sacs, and finally get some more pie plates. Giving S5 pies to the spores is OK. The points you'll save from the Tyrant can be spent on a Trygon, some more troops, or whatever else you like.

fupersudge
06-13-2010, 10:54 PM
considered what you said...

HQ :
Hive Tyrant
-Wings
-Dual scything talons
-Leech Essence
-Paroxysm

Troop:
Tervigon
Tervigon
Termagaunts x 30
Termagaunts x 30

Elites: ( pods will deepstrike )
Zoanphropes x 2 in pod
Zoanphropes x 2 in pod
Doom in pod

Fast Attack: ( all of these will deepstrike )
Gargoyle x 20
-Toxic sacs
Gargoyle x 20
-Toxic sacs
Gargoyle x 20
-Toxic sacs

This looks alot better in text. It is only like 1700ish though, so I can still throw around points. Any thoughts on this?

Hugz4Genestealers
06-14-2010, 12:49 AM
With six deepstriking units, spending some of those points on the Hive Commander upgrade for the Tyrant wouldn't go amiss, otherwise I would just say that I'm somewhat leery of deepstriking units that are subject to Instinctive Behavior, whether it be Feed or Lurk (and I can't remember off the top of my head which one Gargoyles follow). On a side note, can someone please tell me where in the Tyranid codex it specifically says Gargoyles can deep strike, because that always confused me.

fupersudge
06-14-2010, 03:51 AM
from what I have been told, any jump infantry can deep strike in.

Hugz4Genestealers
06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
So it's in the main rule book, then?

Son_of_Osiris
06-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Yep, you bet. It says under the movement section of the jump infantry page that they can deploy via deepstrike.

As per the list. I agree Hugz. Hive Commander is essential with any tyranid army with multiple reserves, especially with so many IG players out there with the officer of the fleet... and god knows nid players need all the help they can get against mech guard.

The best thing about hive commander is that it is active even when the HT is in reserve, being that it says that you add 1 to reserves as long as he's alive.

Hugz4Genestealers
06-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Love that part. HC has helped me against mech guard in both 'Ard Boyz rounds so far.

fupersudge
06-14-2010, 04:38 PM
HC helps a ton lol

Lemt
06-15-2010, 03:06 AM
That list looks pretty good, and I agree you should spend the points on Hive Commander. That way you can outflank a Tervigon too. However, I'm not so sure about deepstriking the Gargoyles. They're pretty fast, so why not place them in normal reserves instead? Deepstriking large units is very dangerous.
One thing I'd do, however, is play only one Tervigon. You plan to push your army forward, and in my experience what you'll manage to do now is just to split your army into managable pieces. I play a similar list (similar in the philosophy behind it, at list) and found that to be a problem. Outflank the lone Tervigon (with Hive Commander), cut the Termagants to 20 and give them a Pod, and use outflanking Genestealers as the rest of your troops.

Hugz4Genestealers
06-15-2010, 03:10 AM
As I understand it, only the Swarmlord's special rule allows you to outflank a troops choice, whereas Hive Commander, the upgrade you can give to any Tyrant, just adds one to your reserves rolls. Similar, but with a key difference.

fupersudge
06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Yeah alien cunning gives the outflank rule to a troops choice. hive tyrant doesn't have that sadly :/

Fizyx
06-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Hive Commander (Hive Tyrant) allows you to outflank a single troops choice AND adds 1 to reserve rolls.

Alien Cunning (Swarmlord) allows you to re-roll table edge for outflanking AND adds 1 to reserve rolls.

Hugz4Genestealers
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
And that's what I get for quoting rules without bothering to read the codex first. I stand corrected. Shame on you, fupersudge, for agreeing with me.

fupersudge
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Fuuuck I so looked over the outflanking part...

I fail :confused: