PDA

View Full Version : 1,850 Blood Angels Tournament List

06-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, I turn again to the BoLS community for some help in organizing my list for an upcoming tournament at my FLGS. :)

I'll begin by saying that I recognize my list isn't the most powerful; it's not relying on cheap razorbacks or deep striking land raiders. What I am trying to focus in on is bringing an attractive army that performs well up-close.

Anyhow, here's the list:

Mephiston
Reclusiarch

HQ Total: 380

Furioso Librarian Dread (has wings of sanguinius and shield of sanguinius)
w/ Magna Grapple and Extra Armour

Sternguardx5
Combi-meltasx2
Razorback w/ Storm Bolter
Total: 200

Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack
Corbulo
Total: 180

Elites Total: 585

Assault Marinesx10
w/ Jump Packs
Meltagunx2
Thunder Hammer
Total: 230

Assault Marines x 10
w/ Rhino
Meltagunx2
Power Weapon
Total: 240

Death Companyx9
w/ Rhino
Thunder Hammer, Power Weapon
Total: 275

Troops Total: 745

Baal Predator
w/ Flamestorm Cannon, Heavy Flamer Sponsons
Total: 140

Army Total: 1,850 points.

In this list, most of my units are hammer units and each unit will be moving forward in close proximity to my furioso dreadnought to benefit from the cover save if I'm at risk of being in the open. The Baal Pred will almost always outflank if I'm going second while if I'm going first, I might risk surging it forward if I sense it can get into a good position to fire on turn one.

The sternguard, in Blood Angels colours, I find look amazing and so I wanted a unit of them in this list, but they are total support. With Corbulo joining them, they have some added survivability and a slight punch in CC, but ultimately I hope to never have them in CC. Their razorback is equipped to reflect their role of shooting while not being overly costly.

I have few vehicles in this list and those that I do have that need to keep moving are merely rhino chasis. This is the biggest fault of the list that I can see. Hopefully, with speed in mind, however, I can bypass this by being on my opponent by turn two.

Anyhow, comments and criticism is always welcome! I might try to get a WIP thread going on in the modelling and painting forum. I'm not the best painter, but I'm patient and try hard with this. A close friend of mine has won best painted the last few times and I hope, with this army, I can really challenge him and compete for that best painted award. :)

Thanks in advance guys!

(tl;dr - comments and criticism on my tournament list, please! :P)

06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Bumping this for some insight:

If I drop the sternguard unit and their razorback entirely, I have sufficient points for a 5-man Dev Squad with 4 missile launchers and a razorback with H.Bolters, Storm Bolter, whom Corbulo would join and still have a few points left over.

Alternatively, I could drop the Sternguard squad and the Death Company's rhino and get them a Land Raider Redeemer with a Multi-melta.

Thoughts?

blackjack
06-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Only 2 scoring units is not a good thing. Drop the DC for units that score.

Sanguinary Dan
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Drop the DCCW for a Frag Cannon. Then you've got a S8 and 2x S6R in the shooting phase to make up for your lack of a shooting psy power. If you can't live without the S10 DCCW you are probably better off with a regular Furioso and replacing the Reclusiarch with a Librarian. It's dramatically cheaper (80 points) and those points could give you a ton of options.

I actually like the use of Sternguard in your army, though Corbulo as just in case is a waste of points. I'd drop him for a regular Priest, add 2 more Sternguard w/Heavy Flamers and put them in a Rhino. The drive by or unload and blast firepower of this unit will be wicked. And with the Priest and Heavy Flamers any unit you want to assault is going to get it's tail kicked.

Nine DC in a Rhino is a really tempting target. Personally I'd bag that Rhino on turn 1 and watch them shuffle back and forth across the table for the rest of the game. Perhaps if you reduced the unit size and gave them jump packs? Then you can use Descent of Angels to place them where they'll be the biggest threat and knowing they could drop in anywhere will certainly change the way your enemy plays.

Splug
06-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Nine DC in a Rhino is a really tempting target. Personally I'd bag that Rhino on turn 1 and watch them shuffle back and forth across the table for the rest of the game. Perhaps if you reduced the unit size and gave them jump packs? Then you can use Descent of Angels to place them where they'll be the biggest threat and knowing they could drop in anywhere will certainly change the way your enemy plays.The only time this should really be an issue is if the initiative is stolen. If the BA player goes first, the rhino blasts across the table 18" and pops smoke. If it blows up, the DC are already ~6" away from the deployment zone and need to be dealt with - though the option of kiting them around by putting something 13" away from them for the rest of the game is there. If not, they're disembarking and charging. If the BA player is going second, this rhino is reserved, and zooms almost halfway across the board anyway - and at this point, either they've started to move up, or the rest of your forces have them pinned so far back that the rhino zooming in isn't an immediate threat.

I do agree that you need more scoring units in the list though. I'm looking at doing something similar (all fast-moving hammer units with some vehicle destruction), and it took a lot of restraint to not just keep throwing more elites and dreads onto the table and make sure I can actually win games, rather than just beat 90% of my opponent's force into the floor only to realize I can't reach some vet squad that zoomed to an objective across the board on turn 5. What I'm doing to balance these two goals is using 8-man assault squads with some IC's thrown in, rather than the full 10-man. They should function as a hard-to-kill scoring unit with some serious teeth. The death company, by contrast, will likely be just fine without further aid. I'll leave them at 9 so I can throw the reclusiarch in their rhino for certain games where I really need another overkill hammer unit instead of two self-sufficient assault units, but I think in general they'll be more than capable of mowing through anything they get into melee with already. I'll let you know how things go on my end tomorrow.

EDIT: I was only able to get one game in with the blood angels list last night. It was against a friend who was playing a fluff-themed list where I won the roll to go first and then watched him fail an absurd number of armor saves... so I really didn't get any testing in. I can say that the "everyone's a hammer unit" concept works great when absolutely everything goes your way, but that's not the case you need to worry about...

06-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the the feedback, guys! :)

I've still been looking at alternative options and with a couple more practice games, I think I've found some other options that could be really great. If there's more feedback, I would really appreciate it!

HQ:
Mephiston

Elites:
Chaplain

Furioso Dread
w/ Magna Grapple, E-Armour, Librarian

Sanguinary Priest w/ J. Pack
Corbulo

Elites Total: 485

Death Company x 9
Rhino
T. Hammer, P. Weapon

Assault Marines x 10
w/ jump packs
T.Hammer, M.Gun x 2

Assault Marines x 5
Razorback
M. Gun, P.Weapon

Assault Marines x 5
Razorback
M. Gun, P.Weapon

Troops Total: 795

Heavy Support
Devastatorsx5
Missile Launchers x4

Heavy Support Total: 130

Fast Attack
Baal Predator - 115
H. Flamers - 25
Total: 140

Land Speeder
w/ Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack Total: 190

Army Total: 1850

With this list, I ended up splitting the large Assault Squad on foot into two separate squads and basically shuffled the Razorback to them away from the sternguard. Having dropped the 5 sternguard, I picked up the small devastator squad with missile launchers for some long range support to pop light transports and try to prevent things like vindicators from firing. Also, this change cleared up an elites choice, so I took the more economical chaplain for the Death Company (whom, as mentioned will be deployed dependent on the roll to see who goes first).

All of this cleared up enough points to pick up that Land Speeder which will pretty much always be held in reserve in order to contest objectives late in the game or to support the smaller assault squads with a heavy flamer shot. For 50 points, I think it's a better choice than a single attack bike.

Now, though, I'm wondering if the Sanguinary Priest really needs his jump pack as I have two assault squads that can fit him into their razorback. I posted a question on the rules forum about his FNP and Furious Charge bubble while in a vehicle and, dependent on the answer, will dictate whether or not I'll need a j-pack and that can free up 25 more points.

Thanks for the responses so far, guys! :D