PDA

View Full Version : Dice!!! Proof they have a sense of humour

Snarf
08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Does anyone lend there dice to there opponents? I ask as I have a problem with lending my dice to someone who I am playing against. I almost feel as if I’ve been cheated. It’s like going to war and lending your enemy some of your ammo…

I had a game recently. As we where about to set up I was asked if I would mind lending him some dice as he had forgotten his… WTH I thought… Forgotten your dice!!! And just as I suspected, all the sacrifices I had made to the dice gods where for nothing. My opponent rolled them like he had some blackmail material on then. I could not get a break. By my turn 3 of the game more then half my army was dead or running away. And my general was dead.

I use the same dice for 40K and Fantasy.

So does this only happen to me? Does anyone else have Horror stories of being betrayed by there dice?

ThePov
08-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, not really, but that's probably because soon after I started 40K, I lined up my game dice in front of one of those cheap, hollow plastic novelty dice and took a hammer to it. After that public execution, I have never had much dissention in the ranks. Occasionally they have a bad day, but they usually make up for it.

In fact, during one BFG game in which I lent my dice to an opponent, I rolled 5s and 6s galore, and hepulled off only one specail order all game (for you non-BFGers, that basically meant he had absolutely no chance of winning.).

Lucky Moniker
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
i have played a few games where Abbadon has died from the worst circumstances.... like getting hit by a few guardsmen and then rolling 4 1's for armor saves.....

haha or even once we saw a random Ork boy with a big shoota take out Tigurius....
it was back in 4th where you could only hit models you see, and tigeruis was the only model in LOS, so he opens up, hitting all 3 times "wow that was pretty lucky..." then wounds all 3 times "damn, thats pretty good! haha" then rolls his armor, 3 1's..... "...... seriously?" no one around could stop laughing

Dan-e
08-11-2009, 12:12 PM
would i let my opponent use my dice? if i HAD to, sure... but generally no. Then again i often won't roll any dice that share a color with my opponents army.

Chris Copeland
08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I do not believe in the Dice Gods or even nod in their direction. When an opponent is done attacking me and points at his dice on the table indicating the number of saves I need to make I will routinely scoop up his dice and make my saves without having to bother to count out how many saves I have to make... it doesn't matter: however many of my opponent's dice are still in play will exactly cover the rolls I need to make.

There is no luck.

There is no mystical force pushing your dice one way or the other.

Any roll is just as lucky to come up a number between 1 and 6 as any other roll.

I spit on the Dice Gods.

I sometimes get an inward laugh when I see the look of horror on an opponents face after I've rolled his dice. It makes me feel all gooey inside!

All joking aside, I know that not everyone shares my views on this. If I am playing a truly supersticious opponent I won't pick up their dice and roll. Most folks: let's keep rolling the dice and keep this game moving!

:P

TSINI
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
lol i'm guessing this is meant as a light hearted thread.

in theory it should be common practise to share each others dice in games anyway simply to prevent the dice being weighted etc (you can't weight dice to your advantage if your opponent might use them too)

but yeah, ive seen some horrendous rolling on my opponents side when they borrow my dice.

i'm a guard player and can roll some utterly unbelievable 5+'s pretty much consistantly. but when it comes to my opponent grabbing my dice to check they arent rigged, fails aplenty :D

in fact me and my small gaming group of friends had a pretty unbelievable run of rolling 6's for Bionics tests back in older editions. (a 6 to get back up the turn after they died) my friend had a Chaos Lord named LORD INVINCIBLE because he once made 4 bionics rolls in a single game (our games used to go on for much more than the usual 6 turns) and if we ever used his dice, could we ever do that? lol

Exitus Acta Probat
08-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, not really, but that's probably because soon after I started 40K, I lined up my game dice in front of one of those cheap, hollow plastic novelty dice and took a hammer to it. After that public execution, I have never had much dissention in the ranks. Occasionally they have a bad day, but they usually make up for it.

In fact, during one BFG game in which I lent my dice to an opponent, I rolled 5s and 6s galore, and hepulled off only one specail order all game (for you non-BFGers, that basically meant he had absolutely no chance of winning.).

Friggin brilliant....
I'm going to get a hammer NOW! :)

I usually have a spare set of dice, just in case I have a really good/bad run of rolling and want to switch out to make sure I am not winning/losing due to dice. If someone needs to borrow, I just hand over those instead.
What I always forget, without fail, is my scatter die. And when I forget that and have to borrow, I deservedly never hit. :mad:

Aldramelech
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
You can take my dice from my cold dead fingers! lol

oni
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
KEEP YOU DAMN HANDS OFF MY ****ING DICE!

I was playing a game with my friend and I had brand new dice. They were rolling great. So good in fact that my friend, during a pivotal moment in the game, quickly snatched up my dice (without asking) and started using them. Rolling like a champion, giggling like a little school girl the entire time. He was making all of his rolls, and he knew I was about ready to explode because they were my dice, he knew he was using them without my permission, and he knew I was heavily displeased about it, but it only added to his pleasure.

I don't hold grudges, but he crossed a line that day and I will not soon forget. :mad:

Chris Copeland
08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
hehehehehehehehehehehehe... (little school-girl laugh)...

I can still remember some of the looks players gave me early on before I learned that this superstition existed in this hobby. They'd finish attacking me and I'd reach out into the middle of the table, snatch up the dice, and start making my saves.

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe...

I've since learned that some folks are quite serious about this. I often let my opponents know my cavalier attitude about this by stating, "I don't believe in the dice gods. Feel free to use my dice." at the beginning of the game. Their response sorts out the matter 90% of the time.

Every once in a while I still see an opponent's face go ashen after I pick up and roll their dice.

Oops. :P

Chris

PS If you ever find yourself across the table from me please remember to let me know where you stand on this issue. I'm a nice guy and it really can slip my mind that some people are REALLY serious about others not rolling their dice...

The Girl
08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
If the dice come with my inability to make leadership checks... sure, I'll loan em' out :P

Mike X
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
You know, it sounds REALLY selfish and maybe even greedy, but I agree with the original poster. I just can't stand lending my own dice to my opponent, so I actually have a "spare" set of dice for such occasions.

It's almost like letting a friend borrow your tooth brush.

chromedog
08-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I lend my dice to my opponents if they need them.

Of course, they generally hand them back after 2 or 3 rolls, citing "these dice suck, man!" and they quickly find their "lost" dice in their bags.

My dice don't believe in "statistical probability curves" but they certainly hate me.

Morgrim
08-12-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't actually own any 6 sided dice, so can't say it's an issue?*

I tend to use the store dice. And when playing with my friend, we've always used the same set. It's just simpler to be able to pick up hits and roll for wounds without counting out a different set.

*I am, however, the keeper of the odd shaped dice for when we do Dark Heresy, so I feel it works out in the end.

vman
08-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I love my dice and lending them doesnt bother me provided i get them all back

Norseman
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ThePo

I certainly hope it was after that dice rolled a 1!!! Otherwise they may have not understood...

I know that there REALLY is no luck, and dice roles are merely chance but it SURE DOES seem like some people roll ALOT better than others.

I have 3 guys in my game group that roll about 50% 5s and 6s consistently. It is absolutely maddening. Myself I can not complain about my rolling. It goes up and down. But over all I even out. Some games I roll well and some games not so well. But I also have 2 guys that I play often that roll about 50% 1s and 2s, and every time it matters they fail. It's not even funny anymore. You really feel for a guy that can't get a break when you are creaming him. The brutal thing is it happens in EVERY game. One of these guys has been playing for years and has NEVER beaten me, and it is not due to generalship, he has cvaught me in a few traps that I should not have gotten out of.

Unrelated game but on topic. Once playing Risk. Opening turn 15 Armies on Brazil, 1 enemy army on North Africa. He won!!! I attacked until I couldn't anymore. I quit playing Risk right then. The crazy thing he always rolled the same or one higher than me. Weird.

Another Weird thing. Is the opening dice throw for who picks table side. How many times has that role been a tie. It happening almost every time. Sometimes I have had to roll it six times due to ties.

BuFFo
08-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Hobbyists and their ridiculously stupid superstitions that a Dice God exists in some form or fashion.

If my opponent needs to use my dice for any reason, I never hesitate to let him use my dice. This is a game of camaraderie, sportsmanship, and about having a wonderful afternoon with a good opponent.

I have 4 cubes of 36 dice, and people in my store constantly ask me to use my dice.

Funny... Some of the people who play 40k in my store don't believe in a religious God, but they sure as hell act as if a Dice God exist, not understanding simple mathematics and probability.

But this has been going on since the early DnD days, so nothing new here really.

ChaosLord127
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I drown my bad dice in bowls of soap water.

Anyway, I use Mickey Mouse dice (ones bought from Disneyland with mickeys instead of the black dots), and they have been pretty effective so far. I manage to roll high, and encourage my opponents to use them, as they usually roll poorly with them. Thus far they have earned the nickname "Mickey Dice of Doom"

However, I will not lend out my scatter dice. It's luck is more fragile, as whenever someone uses it, it always rolls scatter for the rest of the game. Otherwise it rolls all ALL hits.

blueshift
08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
last game i used my opponent's dice and rolled the game of my life... i don't believe in luck.

i am a dice atheist... and i think i chipped away a little bit of the faith some of the other players in my group have in dice gods.

Trinity
08-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I have to admit that I always bring extra dice just in case my opponent needs some.

I however dont share MY dice. I once had an opponent just grab my dice to start rolling with. I let him finish his roll and then let him know that those were my dice and if he need some he just had to ask. :) I put a couple models on guard duty for the rest of that game. :D

T.

Mr. Man098
08-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I am a dice atheist... and i think i chipped away a little bit of the faith some of the other players in my group have in dice gods.

Brilliant. :D

I don't believe in luck. I do however believe in rolling out ones. And twos, now.

Farsight
08-13-2009, 01:55 PM
My dice always seem to go with probability. My scatter die is another matter completely. If I'm deep striking a unit it ALWAYS scatters (usually to disastrous effect) but if I'm rolling for a barrage (basilisk, fire storm, whatever) it hits without fail. I've gotten 5 Hits in a row in a single game. Guess my soldiers are better shots then the dropship pilots. :)

tiger505
08-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I let other players use my dice if they need too. I figure they too can enjoy my evil dice rolls as well me.

miker
08-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Anyone who knows me won't touch my dice with a barge-pole!

If I even touch one of their dice they will, usually, not use it for a while.

This has nothing to do with cleanliness:p but because I have a reputaion for terrible luck and they don't want to be infected!

Mystery.Shadow
08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
If the Color of the dice don't match the Army they won't roll well!

bob
08-16-2009, 10:43 AM
When my group plays both players use the one set to avoid them getting mixed up

We beleive in mordice, we've given him a feast day which we hold to but what most of you guys do is crazy

Herald of Nurgle
08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
My belief in the Dice Gods is nearly non-existant... I do however choose to boast of my antics being from a presence far removed from this world. It's a taunt. No more, no less.
Especially since it is TZEENTCH who is the god of dice!

Brezel
08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
:p

No dice god out there... definately!

My buddies are strongly believing in using their own dice, and no one else! If I wanna win instantly, I just have to touch their dice and they will be gone.. :D

It's all about the math... and I HATE the maths...!!! But, certainly, the feeling is on both sides...

Denzark
08-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Many moons ago I was given a die where numbers 3-6 are represented by the correspnding geometric shape - triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon. 2 is 2 slashes or lines. But 1 is an 8-pointed star!

Never seen before or since, I roll my 'Chaos Dice' for all the big rols for my Chaos army. It is obviously tzeentch influenced because it lets my Berzerkers down often.

Snarf
08-22-2009, 02:10 AM
I do have a solution of sorts.

I have two sets of dice. when the one set has realy turned against me. I leave them at home and use the other set untill they get get tired of going out and start being bad.

I even have a set of black and red dice that i know Only roll one's and two for me. For anyone and i mean anyone becides me they roll four five or six every time. I always bring them to make leadership rolls:D

Craz
08-22-2009, 02:22 AM
I buy dice almost obsessively, and I have a big tub that I pull dice from. However, there are twenty 'pirate dice' that are always the first I pull out-and they never fail me.They're my lucky dice, not because I usually win with them(which I do), but ever since they became my primary set, I've had a lot fun with the game. Every game I play with those dice is always a blast.

Darkseer
08-22-2009, 03:15 AM
If we're talking about dice rolling, you might want to check out This Post (http://win-warhammer-40k.blogspot.com/2008/11/roll-dice-play-game.html). :cool:

Mike Dunford
08-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm a firm believer in dice gods, but I don't think they give a rodent's posterior who wins. They just want to have some fun. I've been on the receiving end quite a few times.

Case in point: When the new Ork codex came out, I started playing tankbustas in a looted wagon ("You're shooting how many rockets from that thing????"). The tankbustas shot just about as well as they should have when I used that approach, but in six consecutive games their looted wagon was blown up the first time they tried to release a bomb squig.

Case 2: I'm playing Old Zogwort, and successfully turn Marneus Calgar into a squig. The squig then proceeds to survive for the next four player-turns of assault phase, finishes off the warboss' last wound, and takes out another two boys before finally getting stepped on.

Jiggs
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
I was playing my friends chaos marine army and he was playing my space marines and he had a squad of 20 imperial guardsman in a building. I deepstriked Abaddon near the duilding thinking a bunch of lasguns couldn't do any thing to him. So the next turn he opens fire with alot of spacemarines and I fail every wound except one then in a desperate attempt to kill me he fired his lasguns and only one shot succesfully wounds. I was like "eww all I got to roll is a 2+" and guess what I roll a 1 and abaddon only lasted one turn. But since it wasn't my abaddon I still make fun of my friend every time he uses him by saying "even a lone guardsman can kill him" and he always a gets mad......... ahh what fun.

Bloodthirster
08-26-2009, 04:53 AM
My dice hate me so I would be happy to lend them if someone else asks. The problem is though that, they roll well for them but not for me, like once my SM captain went up against a single guardsmen and rolled 5 ones. The guardsmen then added insult to injury, by hitting, and wounding my already wounded Captain and killing him!:eek:

Lord Inquisitor
08-26-2009, 07:00 AM
I would be quite against letting anyone use my dice. I will try the hammer next time they get a little unruly though.

Zigmunth
08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
I lined up my game dice in front of one of those cheap, hollow plastic novelty dice and took a hammer to it. After that public execution, I have never had much dissention in the ranks.

I love it!:D

j-orge-287
08-30-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't know about the 'lending dice curse' because my regular opponent is a complete a*** and relies on me for that sort thing.

But When ever he takes a 2+ save I always say "anything but a one":D. If you read WD353 (IG launch) standard bearer you will know what I mean:D. I once obliterated to a man a five man terminator squad with lasguns!:D