PDA

View Full Version : Best army to start with?

GreyHunter
06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi folks, I've been into the hobby for a few years now but only really played 40k and with the release of 8th shortly I was wondering what the best army would be to start with? Or is it worth waiting to see if there is going to be a new starter set and building an army around one of the armys in it?

Aldramelech
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
The problem is that no one knows now. These new rules are going to change the game so much thats its impossible to see whos going to come out on top. Model counts are going to change, units will change, new units might show up, who knows?

Leave it a month or so.....

NonComPoop
06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Whenever I am asked that question I always say to go with whatever army you like the models for most. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Hasagwan
06-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Whenever I am asked that question I always say to go with whatever army you like the models for most. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

What he said. It is not good if you pick army X because people say it is the best and then find the playing style a complete bore and painting to be tedious.

CitizenZero
06-16-2010, 12:56 AM
I agree with the answers above, I usually tell people to go with whatever army they think looks the coolest.

The starter set is rumored to have High Elves and Skaven, so those would be definitely worth looking at.

What is it that you are looking for in an army?

Kieranator K82
06-16-2010, 02:04 AM
CitizenZero brings up a good point. It would be important to consider your playstyle and preferences. Examples:

- Dwarfs are super shooty and magic resistant (at the moment anyway)
- The Empire are relatively balanced
- Bretonnia is dependent on colourful knights, and lots of them
- Lizardmen can vary, but boast some of the best magic in the game witht heir floating toads