plague daemon prince
10 plague marines w/ power wep, meltagun and flamer. rhino w/extra armor
5 plauge marines
5 havocs w/ icon of nurgle and 4 plasma guns. rhino w/extra armor
chaos dreadnought
vindicator

he starts everything in rhinos and rhino rushes, popping smoke with his leading rhinos and runs his DP and dread towards me, and shoots random vindicator shots
once i destroy a rhino, hes plague marines jump out and assault whatever destroyed it (tau)

does anybody else have to deal with a list similar to this one? idc what army but how do you win??

drummerholt1234
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM
S8 AP3 weapons would tear that army apart as well as S5 powerweapons. That the simple short answer...

crunchyjuice
08-11-2009, 02:15 PM
ap3 weapons dont ignore FNP
alot of people dont realize that

crunchyjuice
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
but in my black templar list i run 10 terminators with lighting claws and furious charge
that plus the preferred enemy vow allows them to reroll hits and wounds with s5 power weapons
its pretty beast
but im only hoping that will work

Madjob
08-11-2009, 02:22 PM

No, but Instant Death wounds do.

Blowupologist
08-11-2009, 02:23 PM

True. But weapons that cause Instant Death do.

crunchyjuice
08-11-2009, 02:29 PM
uh ok
but as t5 plague marines are a tough egg to crack
plus where do you find ID weapons that are bountiful enough to kill around 40 plague marines

keithsilva
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
If I was using my marines blow up a rhino then they should be grouped together and plasma cannon them to hell. Using Eldar I would scatter laser them to death and hopefully do enough wounds to kill most.

Madjob
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
uh ok
plus where do you find ID weapons that are bountiful enough to kill around 40 plague marines

Vanilla Russes, Basilisks. IG definitely have it easier when it comes to finding room for big high strength pie plates, but there are other options out there, like Vindicators for Space Marines. Oddly enough that's one of the things Tau are lacking in - for an army that's supposed to be all about the guns, they've only got 2 pie plate weapons, I think? One of which is special issue.

Nabterayl
08-11-2009, 02:52 PM
uh ok

Remember that plague marines aren't T5. They're T4(5), which, per page 26, means you only need S8 hits to get Instant Death.

Battle cannons, Earthshaken cannons, and melta cannons can dish out plenty of S8 power armor-bypassing hits. Meganobz are also a [comparatively] cheap source of S8 armor-bypassing attacks, and have little to fear from most plague marine squads (as an ork player, my go-to option would be trukk-borne meganobz, with supporting rokkits or deffgunz to knock out the Rhinos). Same goes for dreadnoughts kitted out for CC, or for that matter any DCCW platform if your friend doesn't run with power fists and relies on his meltaguns for walker deterrence. Same goes for monstrous creatures.

Plasma cannons, as keithsilva says, for armies that have them. Eldar have a fair amount of AP2 weaponry they can haul out at need. You can even use fire dragons on them, if you've got a transport on hand to prevent the dragons from getting assaulted. Sisters have Divine Guidance, as well as plenty of ways to bust Rhinos.

Chumbalaya
08-11-2009, 03:01 PM
If you play Tau, it shouldn't be too difficult to pop his Rhinos with missile pods and markerlights. Once that's done, he has to walk up to you and you can hose him down with plasma. Vindicator gets pasted by railgun, DP gets downed by railguns, plasma, or massed fire, and Dreads are too busy blowing his army up.

To prevent you from getting assault, run some kroot as a screen so he is forced to charge them, giving you another round of shooting.

Also, keep mobile and never sit in a gunline.

Nabterayl
08-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Piranha squadrons can also be a good screen - large bases, hard to assault, come with their own screen (gun drones), and with fusion blasters can also make short work of Rhinos and MCs alike.

Jwolf
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Battlecannons do them fine. They're T4 for instakilling.

azekio
08-11-2009, 06:37 PM
treat PMs like nob bikers, brap them with s8 nastyness. i persoanlly take them out with a tzeentch DP logging warptime and wind, then an assualt. has worked 80% of the time i've tried it. 75% wounds no save under a template reduced to 35 by fnp then some MC attacks, and a 4+ inv on any returns. Brappage

icecube
08-12-2009, 09:03 AM
This is not my idea, but itīs a sneaky one: With mech marine armies appearing all around my gaming buddy at our local store uses the following combo for situations like that. A lash sorcerer along with havocs and an vindicator. He first destroys the tank with the havocs meltas, then lashes the guys from inside into an pile and finally blows them up with the vindicator.

08-13-2009, 10:59 AM
This is not my idea, but itīs a sneaky one: With mech marine armies appearing all around my gaming buddy at our local store uses the following combo for situations like that. A lash sorcerer along with havocs and an vindicator. He first destroys the tank with the havocs meltas, then lashes the guys from inside into an pile and finally blows them up with the vindicator.

Welcome to a year ago, or more.

To the OP, if you're Tau I assume you're loading up on kroot infantry screens for exactly this reason, to keep your valuable shooty guys out of assault. If not, you should be. Piranhas are also excellent for dictating the pace of his advance, which what you need to do to ensure you get the turns of shooting you need. Search for "tau tactics truth hurts" in google and read the articles on the first site that comes up.

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Callidus Assassin + Psyker Battle Squad = Auto hit with 2+ to wound for instant death fun.

My Chaos opponent cringes when he sees me putting that assassin into reserves....

vman
08-18-2009, 08:04 AM
If your using eldar, the following items are effective against Plague Marines.
-Wraithguard, wound on a 2+, instant death on a 6
-Wraithlords x 3. Extremely tough units
-Fire Prisms x 3. Combine fire into one nasty pie plate of instant death
-Farseer + Warlocks
-Highly unlikely to see these units, but a squad of 3 D Cannon batteries, hidden behind cover, indirect firing will cause some hurt

Most likely bet would be the fire prisms and farseer that can doom enemy squads. Hell, take two farseers and you can cast doom 4-6 times a turn on seperate units.

If i was using IG
-Leman Russ Demolishers
-Squads of Hellhounds

A HUGE BLUNT
08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
this guy has 3 meltaguns in his list, your tau tanks should be dominating the table.

SlavesToDarkness
09-01-2009, 12:32 PM
1. Leman Rush Demolisher
2. Leman Russ Executioner
3. Leman Russ Demolisher

But, if you don't play IG, you can try Vindicators. Even orks can take Boomguns (3 x Looted Vehicle with Boomguns is only like 330pts).

Dreadnaughts? Does he have a ton of powerfists?

Limunpai
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
His anti-tank capabilities are severely lacking. If you destroy the rhinos and daemon prince, you should be able to strafe away from his army and take what points you can if you have a reasonably mobile army.

If he bricks up, you will have to just steal the objectives at the end of the game, but if he exposes an unsupported flank, you should have units in place to take advantage of that. Remember not to spread out too thin though; you will need quite a concentration of force to take out his extremely durable army selections when he exposes them.

DarkLink
09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Grey Knight Terminators work beautifully. Strike first, hit on 3's and wound on 3's, no saves allowed. All you need to do is get them into combat in the first place, so find a transport you can fit them in and get the charge.