PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt IG, GT Worthy?

Latro_
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Just been developing this a bit on WS, any good?

So vets go forward and claim objectives and melt stuff (army has 12 bs4 meltaguns!). HQ follows and provides LD backup and orders, e.g. stopping enemy cover saves etc.
Bane wolves also plow forward and ofc would on 2+ with ap3 with no cover save so they help vets/kill stuff

Inf platoon combines into a unit od 21 men who are ld9, unmod ld with a re-roll. They hold home objectives or generally be a pain. Since they likely will die to the last man they make a great tar pit unit too. Cmd orders multi lasgun shots on them :P

Russes are there to move about a bit raining much blast death to the likes of boyz mobs etc...

Company Command Squad 107
Commander
Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Frag, Refractor
4 Veterans
Lasguns, CCWs, Frag, Regimental Standard
3x Meltaguns

Chimera 55
Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter, Light, Smoke

------------------------------------------

INFANTRY PLATOON
Platoon Command Squad 45
Lasguns, CCW, Frag, Missile Launcher
Commander
Laspistol, CCW

Infantry Squad 65
Lasguns, Frag, Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
Sergeant
Laspistol, CCW

Infantry Squad 110
Lasguns, Frag, Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
Sergeant
Laspistol, CCW
Commissar
Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon

Veteran Squad 100
Lasguns, CCW, Frag, Krak, 3x Meltaguns
Sergeant
Laspistol, CCW

Chimera 55

Veteran Squad 100
Sergeant
Laspistol, CCW

Chimera 55

Veteran Squad 100
Sergeant
Laspistol, CCW

Chimera 55

Bane Wolf 135
Chem Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Smoke

Bane Wolf 135
Chem Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Smoke

Battle Tank 190
Battle Cannon, Heavy bolter, 2x Plasma cannons
Light, Smoke

Battle Tank 190
Battle Cannon, Heavy bolter, 2x Plasma cannons
Light, Smoke

Jwolf
08-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Don't like the Plasma Cannons on the Battletanks - for 15 points more you get a Demolisher, which is a significant upgrade.

Overall the list is fairly standard, though I see no point in the Commissar and the Autocannons in the Infantry Platoon - pick one use for them and go for that. Either give them 2 more power weapons and plan to use them as a blob, or ditch the commissar.

Latro_
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
:DJwolf, is this a waynes world alice cooper moment... lol.

Why do you rate demolishers more? I was put off by the fact both variants are A13 at the side now and the standard rus can be effective at 36" not 24", Do you rate AP2 that highly?

Aye I guess I just like the idea of the all purpose guard unit perhaps its not as competitive as I think... I liked the combined with commi owing to the huge LD boost and mono orders from the near by cmd squad.
I guess 45 pts goes a long way in a guard army though.

So maybe take the commi out.
30pts for upgrade to demolishers
13pts left... hmm

Chumbalaya
08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I would go for Demolishers as well, the higher S lets you threaten AV14 at range (effectively 30" since you move and shoot) and AP2 seal the deal. Don't bother with sponsons since you want to stay mobile and plasmas don't do anything to high AV.

Also, hull flamers should be on every vehicle. It's free, you're not giving up much of anything, and the carnage they will inflict on tightly packed enemies in insane.

Beyond that, it looks fine. You may want to pick up more autocannons (or Vendettas) to help against medium AV, but that's it.

Jwolf
08-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, S 10 weapons are pretty important for a strong list. I've experimented with the Medusa with Siege Shells, and they're really fantastic at 2000, but with a smaller wall of tanks to protect them, I'd stick with Demolishers.

Mostly you don't get a lot of shots outside of 30" most games, and the difference between 10/2 and 8/3 is rather enormous - much better against AV 14, Terminators, and anything with FNP.

The hull heavy flamer is free, and at least as useful as the hull heavy bolter, but I find having it in range generally does not serve a Russ chassis well for me. I put one on every Chimera, since their job is to get close, but my usage of the Russ means that it's extremely uncommon that I would fire a HHF from one. You should try it both ways and see which best suits your personal preference on Russes.

TheKingElessar
08-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Another vote for the HHF here. Unless you never plan to move the Chimera (unlikely) then it's a no-brainer, for me.

Latro_
08-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Yea I think these are good points, get rid of the commi and make the battle tanks demolishers and stick heavy flamers on some of the chimeras.

It's stuck me that I'd bloody hate to play against this army! maybe I have been playing with my deathguard so long i'v forgotten how fragile guard are at the core?

Just seems to me that i'd cry if i pitted my DG against this list. Where are the negatives with it? I guess against anti tank spam there might be a problem but I dunno, seems like this list has 300 or more pts worth of stuff then it feels it 'should have'