PDA

View Full Version : Imperial vehicles from the novels?

Lane
06-18-2010, 01:25 AM
I've only recently started reading the 40k novels and have a question for those better read than I.

What Imperial vehicles are mentioned that do not have rules or models in the game?
What description is given if any?

Examples:

Half Track (Gunheads) - no description

Truck, cargo, model 36er (Gunheads) - no description

Nabterayl
06-18-2010, 01:41 AM
The Ghost novels mention a number of trucks that seem to be classified by number of wheels - e.g., a "cargo eight" would be an eight-wheeled vehicle (or possibly an eight-tired vehicle).

Baron Spikey
06-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Eisenhorn/Ravener also have numerous vehicles (most of them non-military) such as commercial Land Speeders, Limousines etc

mysterex
06-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Eisenhorn/Ravener also have numerous vehicles (most of them non-military) such as commercial Land Speeders, Limousines etc

Also has military transport skimmers - naval dropships capable of carrying 20 naval security each.

Aldramelech
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Not a vehicle, but Ive always been puzzled by the omission of ground mounted Heavy Stubbers. They appear so frequently, far more then Heavy Bolter's.

Melissia
06-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Civilian aircars, skimmers, groundcars, and etc from the Cain novels.

SierraFiveOne
06-18-2010, 11:07 PM
The Gaunt's Ghosts books mention Stalk Tanks, which seem to be some sort of insectoid walking light tank used by traitor forces.

Lane
06-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The Gaunt's Ghosts books mention Stalk Tanks, which seem to be some sort of insectoid walking light tank used by traitor forces.

These could be Defilers. According to older versions of the Fluf troops that survived combat with Chaos were killed and even the newer, kinder, gentler, suitable for young minds fluf the common man is not meant to know about chaos. It would make sense that even Gaunt would not know the Imperial designation of a Defiler.

Nabterayl
06-19-2010, 02:05 AM
They aren't defilers; in several places they're noted as having human pilots.

Old_Paladin
06-19-2010, 07:57 AM
There are also many different types of Urdashi battle tanks, self-propelled guns, light assault vehicles.

They may have been used by chaos after the forge world was captured; but they're still actually Imperial design.

Porty1119
06-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Naval dropships could be:

Shark assault boats (from BFG)
Super-Valk
Some kind of Thunderhawk-inspired thing

SierraFiveOne
06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
These could be Defilers. According to older versions of the Fluf troops that survived combat with Chaos were killed and even the newer, kinder, gentler, suitable for young minds fluf the common man is not meant to know about chaos. It would make sense that even Gaunt would not know the Imperial designation of a Defiler.

They're not exactly Defilers. They have lighter armament and are piloted by humans. They're also more along the lines of a praying mantis shape.

If you go to Google images and search "Stalk Tank", you'd get a few conversions and what I believe to be an official version from The Sabbat Worlds Crusades book.

Don't worry. For the longest time I thought they were Defilers, too.

Lane
06-19-2010, 11:33 PM
I just started reading Redemption Corps today and they mention a Valkyrie variant called the Specter. It's a four engine heavy lift version. Sounds like it has a front ramp, flight deck/ cockpit accessed from inside and can carry at least two Centaur vehicles plus a squad of troops. Sounds like my idea for a Chinook equivalent has some fluff backing. They also mention a Ryza pattern Valkyrie indicating there are variants within the standard class as well.

Porty1119
06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Why did you have to mention that? My wallet is crying...

SierraFiveOne
06-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Also remembered the Stumble Guns from one of the Gaunt's Ghosts books. They're used by the chaos forces of the Blood Pact.

They're described as well- armored spherical frameworks wrapped in razor wire, about three meters in diameter and move by rolling across the battlefield. They're armed with plasma beam cannons that resemble spikes or spines covering the tanks and attack by bouncing and rolling into enemy lines while randomly shooting. The weapons are described as powerful enough to easily punch through the armor of Imperial Guard tanks.

Personally, I think these things would be hilarious in tabletop games.

Lane
06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Why did you have to mention that? My wallet is crying...

What, a super heavy flier transport for the IG?

While some people would probably use 2-3 Valkyrie kits as a base I plan on scratch building most of it. I should fit nicely with the UH-1 Valkyrie conversion I'm working on and the AH-1 Vulture I can probably get out of the leftover bits.

I'll update when I have something solid. Today is designated as "fill pinhole bubbles in the Phantom Titan" day with "experiment machining turbine fan blades for IG models" as a side project.

Duke
06-20-2010, 08:22 PM
And why shouldn't IG have a super Heavy flier... The whole them of the IG is "Why build one, when you can build one twice as big for double the price?!!"

Duke

The Imperator
06-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Stormbird it was a heresy era drop ship for space marines it was like a thunderhalk exept smaller and less blocky and is now only used by chaos legions.

Salamander from the Ciahpas Cain series its a halftrack with an open top a heavy flamer in the front and in the back theres a pintle mounted heavy bolter or stubber.

Baron Spikey
06-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Stormbird it was a heresy era drop ship for space marines it was like a thunderhalk exept smaller and less blocky and is now only used by chaos legions.

Salamander from the Ciahpas Cain series its a halftrack with an open top a heavy flamer in the front and in the back theres a pintle mounted heavy bolter or stubber.

Stormbird= larger than a Thunderhawk, much larger

chromedog
06-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Salamander is also a lighter scout vehicle using the chimera chassis (Imperial Armour) in two variants.
One has the heavy flamer, the other has an autocannon.

Dan Abnett mentions "Cargo 6" and "cargo 8" a few times. I'm guessing number of wheels, like an 18 wheeler is a rig.

The Taurus Venator looks like a 6 wheeler, until you realise that the rear axles have double wheels, and so is a 10 wheeler.

There is a new FW variant Valk transporter that can carry the Venator, and the newer TAV can be carried INSIDE a valk.

Lane
06-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Stormbird= larger than a Thunderhawk, much larger

IIRC the original Drop Ship mentioned in Epic was the Thunderbolt and was a company size transport. Not sure though, have not been able to find my copy of Adeptus Titanicus/ Codex Titanicus for the last year, probably in one of the many boxes I have not unpacked.

Lane
06-21-2010, 10:37 PM
And why shouldn't IG have a super Heavy flier... The whole them of the IG is "Why build one, when you can build one twice as big for double the price?!!"

Duke

I was referring to the pain in his wallet that such a model would cause. If you used existing models and bought styrene sheet at hobby shop prices you could easily spend $200.

Majorcrash
06-22-2010, 08:45 AM

I have been wondering if history has been rewritten and the stormraven isnt the stormbird. In the first HH book is the only time they mention a comparison on size. and afterward they are only mentioned in use. Also would GW create a model for only a fringe army to use especailly one that is going to be wanted by all. I think that in the future we may see a release in WD with a version used by all chapters and called a stormbird!

Baron Spikey
06-22-2010, 02:01 PM
It's actually mentioned in other books that the Thunder Hawk is newer, blockier, and smaller.

Porty1119
07-01-2010, 02:45 PM
If rewritten, it wouldn't be the first time the fluff contradicted itself.

Mike X
07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I remember reading in a couple books about non-militant transports that are similar to centipedes or insects that walk on multiple legs at varying speeds (depending on the type). I don't think there were any names mentioned for these vehicles, but there's a bunch of references to them in various novels.