PDA

View Full Version : 2k competitive eldar spirit host critique needed

dvs1
06-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Been tooling around with the idea of a semi competitive spirit host eldar amy.

Farseer w/ fortune, guide, stones
Farseer w/ fortune, guide, stones

x8 harlies w/ SS, DJ, x7 kisses, x2 fusion pistols
x8 harlies w/ SS, DJ, x7 kisses, x2 fusion pistols

x10 wraithguard w/ spirit seer- conceal
x10 wraithguard w/ spirit seer- conceal
x5 rangers

x2 wraithlords w/ WS, BL
x3 warwalkers w/ x2 SC

So basically I deploy in the classic wraith wall formation with my lords covering the rear with AT duties, and anti horde as required. Rangers stay in reserve and either outflank or normal reserve to grab objectives. Farseers use guide to turn the guard into a arguable 'deathstar' unit to any opponent within range. Nothing says die like 10 wraith cannons re-rolling to hit. Harlies counter assault when the guard gets locked into combat, and if possible, hit and run towards the juicy targets in my opponents turn. Trick is to assault either units who won't run (fearless, etc ), or to minimise how many harlies actually contact the enemy. This shouldn't be as hard as it sounds since the said opposing unit should be locked up against my wraith wall. This extra boon of movement should hopefully help get them to the softer units I really want to kill...

davel
06-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Try getting runes of warding in their, jotww and lash may spell trouble

what's your plan with the warwalkers?

this list will struggle in grabbing objectives quickly. but the mutual support concept is sound. for holding you could put a wraithguard squad in reserve. It's a lot of points off the table but it's less turns for opponent to get rid of them.

Mind war is a good option as power fists ( and to a lesser extent melta guns) are the only common weapons that will carve up your men, so worth eliminating.

beware witch hunters

I don't think the fusion pistols will get a lot of use, your not short on wraith cannons.

doom helps harlies rend though I think you can manage with out.

The issue with this army though it is tough to take down there are other other armies that do the same thing but cheaper ( crons nurgle) those forces will give you close run games.

stay together don't get strung out.

Dave l

Splug
06-23-2010, 12:52 PM
The problem I've noticed with Harlequins is that if they don't completely decimate their opponent in the first round of combat, the return blows decimate the unit very quickly. Even tactical squads punching you is going to take a heavy toll. You would mitigate it a bit if you only charge things that have already been locked into the wraithguard, but then you're banking on a good amount of things going exactly right.

Why star cannons on the warwalkers? The AP2 on the wraithcannons combined with the harlequins' rending is plenty anti-heavy infantry already. Either missile launchers or scatter lasers would be better for anti-vehicle damage, without sacrificing much in the way of anti-infantry ability (especially considering your targets will probably have cover anyway).

Mech-heavy lists will be a problem most likely. Those wraithcannons can blow away a vehicle fairly reliably, but that's still a 400 point squad destroying a single tank within 12" of it. The fusion pistols will have limited functionality given where you plan on keeping the harlequins, so it's just two wraithlord shots per turn to break open long-range vehicles and the wraithlords pretty much blowing away and overkilling two short-range vehicles.

Suggestions: Swap the War Walkers over to missiles or scatter lasers, get runes of warding on at least one farseer, swap the Wraithswords over to missile launchers (if you plan to fire the lances each turn, you won't be running, and that will make it particularly hard to reach anything with the WL to even assault to use the sword).

dvs1
06-23-2010, 07:14 PM
my bad, I meant shuriken cannons on the walkers and not star cannons. Its been so long since I used a star cannon I almost forgot we had it :). The walkers were meant to lurk behind my wall and thin the field with their shuriken cannons. Guide is also for them at least in the beginning of the game when the guard are out of range. When viable, they can also outflank to aim for thinner side armor, or to contest any nearby objectives. As for wraith swords, I think I'm gonna have to keep them. I already modeled them and love my lords to much to rearm them. Plus re-rolling those hits making sure they kill two infantry a turn helps a lot. I was also thinking about swapping one of the seers to Eldrad, but that would make me either lose harlies, or my ranger squad. Not sure I like either of those ideas...

karandras
06-24-2010, 07:29 AM
I would drop the Rangers for Jetbikes. They are far more useful for objective grabbing and their speed compensates for not outflanking. Using Rangers to outflank and grab objectives just isn't going to be effective.

I would swap the 2 Farseers for Eldrad and an Avatar. You're only losing a single psychic power and your immediately boosting your assault and even anti-heavy armour capability.

I would outflank with the Warwalkers more often than not. If you have first turn, go ahead and deploy them and scout. Shuriken Cannons and/or Scatter Lasers are definitely the way to go.

Harlequins come down to personal preference. If you love the models, use them. Personally, I don't think you need two squads of them. I would consider swapping one of the squads out for more Jetbikes or another mobile disruption unit like Scorpions (via infiltrate) or Warp Spiders. If you are keeping them back for a counter assault unit, I think Scorpions or possibly even Banshees could perform the same roll for less points.

I have found when running Wraithguard units, that an unappreciated Guardian Defender Squad is your best friend. Run one unit of 12-15 models with Conceal, Singing Spear, and a Shuriken Cannon platform. They will not only provide a 4+ cover save to the Wraithguard behind them, but more importantly, they create a shield/speed bump against assault (assuming you deploy them well).

Bottom line: Eldar are the best and they rock!

Tynskel
06-24-2010, 07:48 AM
I would:

Ditch a warwalker--- replace with runes of warding on farseers (still have 30 points)
Ditch a Harly Squad
Take a Scorpion Squad at 8 Guys, Shadow Strike, Stalker, Claw-- 168
Then take a Storm Guardian Squad with 10 guys and 2 flamers.

This will give you another claiming unit, that is cheap so you don't care if they die. Also you have some backup CC that have a lot of umph behind them, especially combined with the Harlies. Lastly, stopping opponent's Psychic powers is a good idea.

Tynskel
06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
There a couple of options, I think that will work.

Your army is awfully static. I think you would benefit from a Fast Attack unit more than anything else:

Ditching one Farseer, and a Harly squad will free up: ~350 points.

This could get you:
212 Shining Spear Squad
5 Bikes, Exarch, Star Lance, Skilled Rider
25 Upgrade the Rangers to Pathfinders
92 Storm Guardians
10 Guardians, 2 Flamer
28 Upgrade Farseer with Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, and a Singing Spear

dvs1
06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Those are decent suggestions for fleshing out the bodies in my army, but most of it doesn't fit the fluff and I'm trying my best to sticking to it. My goal is to keep as many things as I can control either harlies, or some sort of wraith construct. I'm sure I'll get tired of losing quick and might just try out some in the future.

Tynskel
06-25-2010, 07:24 AM
ohhh!

well...

Harlies are still rare--- guardians would be part of the fluff. You are soooooo strapped for warriors, that you use conscripts and 'The Dead'.

I do think you need a powerful counter-attack element. Wraithguard Rock when they can shoot--- and it is very easy for them to be locked into combat for eternity. I think Shining Spears are what you need-- they are fast, and you can have them hide in terrain too (skilled rider). Then Guardians to fill out the rest.

Harlies usually show up when a Webway is being threatened.

dvs1
06-25-2010, 01:30 PM
The fluff for my army goes something like following the exploits of a particularly eclectic troupe who grave rob from their kin to fuel their army They distinguish themselves with the red moon of eldanesh, signifying the disaster that always follows their arrival. I know the army is super slow, but I'm hoping hit and run will help getting to the hard to reach itches. If everyone does run circles around me I promise to give shining spears a try. I do believe I have a squads worth a harlie jetbike canopies somewhere...and it would sync well, being hit and runners also.

thelonegrif
06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
honestly i have a similar list
Eldrad
fortune seer with Runes of witness
x9 harles TM/SS x8 kisses
x10 WG with lock sprt seer sing spear conceal
x10 WG with lock sprt seer sing spear conceal
x5 rangers
x5 rangers
x3 D-cannons lock sprt seer
x2 WL BL and wraith sword flamers
i dont do the classic wall though i just use one squad as a wall the other is flexiable eldrad runs with the front sqd the fortune seer runs with the other squad if needed one sqd of rangers will sit on the mid obj the other on a back obj supported by the D cannons with a 24" barrage wpn the kills almost everything and you dont really have to worry about cover saves the Harles are kept behind eldrad and his wraith guard ever since i first made this list the germans fear it and its record is good 7-1-4 the other varient of this list is 4-2-0 instead of wraith guard i employ guardians and dire avengers and the rangers are upped to path finders the second seer is replaced with an avatar and a squad of Fire dragons are added

Gotthammer
06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
The problem I've noticed with Harlequins is that if they don't completely decimate their opponent in the first round of combat, the return blows decimate the unit very quickly.

Decimate means kill one in ten. Being decimated in return would be a good thing.

i dont do the classic wall though i just use one squad as a wall the other is flexiable eldrad runs with the front sqd the fortune seer runs with the other squad if needed one sqd of rangers will sit on the mid obj the other on a back obj supported by the D cannons with a 24" barrage wpn the kills almost everything and you dont really have to worry about cover saves the Harles are kept behind eldrad and his wraith guard ever since i first made this list the germans fear it and its record is good 7-1-4 the other varient of this list is 4-2-0 instead of wraith guard i employ guardians and dire avengers and the rangers are upped to path finders the second seer is replaced with an avatar and a squad of Fire dragons is added

All one sentance - most impressive.

For the Walkers I'd drop the SCs for either SLs or EMLs (or a mix of both), and maybe give one of the Wraithlords an EML/BL combo for taking out tougher enemy squads / light vehicles.
I think the fusion pistols are probably a waste of points and coul dbe better put towards Runes

thelonegrif
06-25-2010, 03:07 PM
pardon my horrible grammar

dvs1
06-25-2010, 07:50 PM
eh, grammar shmamar, we're all still talking about little plastic toy men :). Seriously though, I like the look of your list grif, and I have to ask how those D-cannons work out for ya? They look super duper on paper, but the range and heavy slot usage normally puts me off. Next unit I'll work to make will be a shining spear squad, just to see if they can give me some mobility to my otherwise static army.

thelonegrif
06-27-2010, 04:36 PM
dvs1 i tell you this they look like something you might not want to touch for the are way to static but they more than make up for it as you dont need to see the target you can place them where they will cover the mind obj 99% of the time in a spear head deployment you will have to be frugal about their placement and you will have to leave something there as a deterrent but 99% of the time the unit you are firing on can only use invul saves and if they are guided you more than likely get the result you want as long as your dice don't hate you case and point in my last 6k 3v3 team game manged to kill off 6 orks 3 termagants and 1 hound of khorn in the first round of shooting next 2 rounds elimnated a demon prince cause he was the only thing to shoot at turns 4 and 5 nothing was in range cause most of my german opponents saw my formation and how i ran this list they set up on the opposite side of the board in a 7 obj game we held 3 2 were contested and the last 2 they had wraith guard with my fortune seer and the harles behind them made quick work of the carnifex and nurglings sitting on their back obj another thing ive noticed is no one uses them so no one really expects them and very few know how to deal with them their has only been one kink in this how i use them and that is vanguard but if the cannnon's crew arent in assault and 3 of them are still standing you can pound what ever gets near you your all day with the warlocks BS as he is not a independent character and is apart of the unit and with him behind the opening salvo the other will template flip on top of that first one and as long as their in cover or on top of a building that should mitigate some of the threat a sqd of vanguard space marines might pose as for other threats such as a lictor or anthing that can do subterranean deep strike im not sure what to tell as i haven't faced nids like that with this list but i think its worth the 184 points i pay

Tynskel
06-27-2010, 08:44 PM
I like the list--- Eldrad is always scary, to me, and I like the way the list works together.

I rarely use psykers--- even though I am not a Black Templar player, I sure play like one!

dvs1
06-27-2010, 09:23 PM
To be honest, the 24" range on the d cannons were the biggest turn off for me...but when used in conjunction with a wraith wall and harlies, theres not much on the board that you cannot decimate. There are only so many things that can enter the 24" 'bubble', which hopefully can get picked apart by the counter assault units. Now look what you did, I'm gonna have ta model me some artillery...

thelonegrif
06-28-2010, 02:58 AM
dont lay your hang ups on me i just showed you the door your the one opening it
(lol just thought of something kind of hypocritical ever once in a while i tell my 40k mentor he created a monster he in turn replies you were already a monster i just gave you a new addiction)