PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Space Wolves

Sir Biscuit
06-26-2010, 01:13 AM
A friend asked me to make him a good 2500 Space Wolves that includes Njal and Arjac. He was particularly concerned about facing mechanized guard.

HQ
Njal Stormcaller
+Runic Terminator Armor

Rune Priest
+Chooser of the Slain
+Living Lightning, Tempest's Wrath

Rune Priest
+Chooser of the Slain
+Stormbolter
+Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

Rune Priest
+Chooser of the Slain
+Wolf Tail Talisman
+Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane

Elites
Lone Wolf
+Terminator Armor
+Chainfist
+Storm Shield
+2 Fenresian Wolves

Lone Wolf
+Terminator Armor
+Chainfist
+Storm Shield
+2 Fenresian Wolves

4 Wolf Guard
3 are equipped with:
+Combi-Melta
+Powerfist
One is upgraded to Arjac Rockfist

Troops
9 Grey Hunters
+Meltagun
+Powerfist
+Wolf Standard
+Rhino

9 Grey Hunters
+Meltagun
+Powerfist
+Wolf Standard
+Rhino

8 Grey Hunters
+Meltagun
+Powerfist
+Wolf Standard
+Drop Pod

7 Grey Hunters
+Meltagun
+Powerfist
+Wolf Standard
+Mark of the Wulfen
+Drop Pod

Fast Attack
Land Speeder
+Multi-Melta
+Heavy Flamer

Land Speeder
+Multi-Melta
+Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support
5 Long Fangs
+4 Missile Launchers

5 Long Fangs
+4 Missile Launchers
+Drop Pod

5 Long Fangs
+4 Missile Launchers
+Drop Pod

Njal and Arjac are in the Drop Pods with the two Grey Hunter squads. Wolf Guard attach to the Grey Hunters as well, obviously. The three Rune Priests live with the Long Fangs.

The Long Fang drop pods drop empty. They are there to give Njal and Arjac the option of dropping on the first turn, (if the enemy is an idiot and doesn't reserve) or being held in reserve for a brutal strike later.

Tynskel
06-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Looks like a solid drop list.

One question: Where do the 3 rune priests go? They won't fit in the vehicles with the wolfguard/njal.

Sir Biscuit
06-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Rune Priests live with the Long Fangs, a weird idea at first but it works pretty well. It has a double advantage:

First, it keeps them pretty safe. Librarians/Rune Priests look good in melee because they have a force weapon, but they aren't really actually that great In melee, it often only benefits you because it is a power weapon, there's just not that much you can force weapon in the game! In addition, they lack an invuln save and re an independent character. They practically beg for a powerfist to the face.

The second advantage is that it helps keep my Long Fangs alive as well. I find the biggest weakness of Long Fangs is that you have to remove a heavy weapon for each casualty, there are no ablative wounds. The Rune Priest can help with that, as you can allocate to him until he takes one, and not lose anybody. It's a nice, if slight, anti-dakka defense.

Really, they are there for the awesome Living Lightning. The other abilities are defensive in case the enemy tries to close melee units with the Fangs/DS into the backfield. I'm actually replacing Storm Caller on the one with (the suddenly surprisingly good) Tempest's Wrath to try and help counter the BA drops that I know will mess up my backfield.

Tynskel
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM
That's what I thought. Hmm...

when it comes to ablative wounds, wouldn't a wolfguard with no wargear be a better choice? I usually do not consider 100 point character 'ablative wounds'. Finding those points, however... You could recover some points from the 'Chooser of the Slain'-- the way the rule is written, (it says 'army', not model/unit), you only need one Rune Priest to have 'Chooser of the Slain'. That's 20 points and that'll get you one wolf guard. You could change two powerfists in the Grey Hunters to power weapons (another 20 points), getting you a second wolf guard. Lastly, you could get rid of Mark of the Wulfen for 15 points (adding in the other 4), and get a Third Wolf Guard.

Living Lightning is a redonkulous power. Combined with split fire option for Long Fangs, they really do work well with Hv Support.

Sir Biscuit
06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, perhaps I should be more specific: I only allocate wounds to them until they take one. After that, it's back to the regular fangs.

Wolf guard do make good ablative wounds for them (and the option of a cheep combi-plasma on him isn't bad either) but I'm not just looking for wounds, I want to shoot some LIGHTNING!

Good catch on the choosers. I might drop some, though I do like the infiltrate defense. I think maybe a direct swap for hunter-killers on the rhinos might actually be good.