PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos thoughts

UltramarineFan
06-27-2010, 05:30 AM
From what I've seen/heard for the new edition it would seem that Warriors of Chaos are going to be more interesting, and specifically all warriors armies more viable due to their high initiative, weapon skill and armour save. I am right in thinking this? And if I am are there any tactics which people think will work in 8th?

*edit* woops, wrong place, dunno how to move this

CitizenZero
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree with this, although I don't have much more to add haha...

The one downside is that Chaos Knights are so expensive, I can't really see a ton of people buying them in large enough units to use to break ranks with...but they hit super hard regardless...

Chaos also benefits from a few spells that effect every model in a unit, which is great because we will most likely start seeing much larger units in general...

T-ORK-amada
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
What is interesting is that since the hw/sh combo gives a 6+ ward save with the parry rule, Mark of Tzeentch Warriors will get it on a 3+ armour and a 5+ ward in combat! Now thats Awesome!

Kieranator K82
06-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Before we think too much, we should probably wait for the universal errata. For all we know, the establishment (GW) could be playing around with points costs as we speak / sleep (depending on time zones). It's a conspiracy!

Aldramelech
06-28-2010, 04:52 AM
Before we think too much, we should probably wait for the universal errata. For all we know, the establishment (GW) could be playing around with points costs as we speak / sleep (depending on time zones). It's a conspiracy!

Agreed. Lots could change.....

quinn
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
Unless they completely change the point costs of units, which I personally find highly unlikely, you are definitely going to see a huge change in what WoC units deploy. As a competitive WoC player, I expect to run Horde blocks (40+) of Marauders armed with GWs and with the Mark of Khorne. I'll back these units up with Warshrines and the appropriate General/BSB combo to ensure maximum efficiency. My Chaos Knights will probably be relegated to holding my flanks and used in a support role. I still haven't decided whether Monstrous Infantry and Cavalry will have a place in my lists yet, it'll depend on points and how they perform in playtesting.
I expect all of this to change somewhat as people continue to come up with different combos to take advantage of the new rules, but with a couple local tournaments pretty close and Ardboyz only 2 months away, this is my initial attempts at maximizing the WoC potential. I'm also a big fan of armies 'looking right' and I will be really happy if these Horde armies actually work out. I've always thought of WoC armies as dominated by hordes of Infantry led by Chosen Warriors and supported by elite Chaos Warriors/Creatures, not a few units of Knights and Mtd Marauders led by a bunch of sorcerers!

miteyheroes
06-30-2010, 02:05 AM
Hoards of Marauders will be awesome. I4 plus the hoard rule = devastation.

Emperorsmercy
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I've planned a huge block of 50-ish marauders (Maybe more.) all heading straight down the middle, then with two units of Chaos Warriors down either flank, probably with the mark of tzeetch.

Probably won't be room for much else...... :D

ZenPaladin
07-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't forget team.. even if the enemy is stubborn if they never win combat and hardly ever cause a wound you will break them eventualy. Don't count the knights out yet.

Jwolf
07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm probably not going with the Marauder hordes. I'd looking at magic as a pretty viable way to eat most armies, frankly. Gateway is very easy to cast now, as are all the top spells, and they are all fairly deadly. Units attacking themselves will be terribly effective on blocks of 50 whatever.

Fizyx
07-11-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm probably not going with the Marauder hordes. I'd looking at magic as a pretty viable way to eat most armies, frankly. Gateway is very easy to cast now, as are all the top spells, and they are all fairly deadly. Units attacking themselves will be terribly effective on blocks of 50 whatever.

After a few larger games with 8th edition, I am not going to run much magic. In fact I plan on only running one caster. However, that one caster will be a level 4 sorcerer of Tzeentch.

Magic is just too... unpredictable. What happens if you run three casters and roll for three power dice? Even the Power Familiar won't be helping you much. Furthermore, the miscast table is absolutely devastating. Honestly, it is just too much of a risk, even with the low odds.

I think one caster, lvl 4 (to get off the big spells easier with fewer dice and fewer miscasts) and Tzeentch (Pandamonium will be devastating to magic armies, treason to horde armies and of course gateway is still awesome) will be perfect.

Instead of more casters, I will bring more Hellcannons. I will have two in every list from now on (which means I have to play with my really nice one until I can build another, grrr...) My one Hellcannon has more than made up for its points in every game he's played (especially when he misfired and rolled a three to make two level 3 sorcerers miscast, lol.) The extra inch of accuracy from not having to guess plus the lack of partial hits makes them much much much more effective, especially since the dude is still strength 5 instead of 3 like a normal stone thrower.

Also, I am in love with larger blocks of Chaos Warriors. Get a 6 x 5 unit of Warriors, and you have a very worthy anvil.

quinn
07-15-2010, 02:43 AM
After a few larger games with 8th edition, I am not going to run much magic. In fact I plan on only running one caster. However, that one caster will be a level 4 sorcerer of Tzeentch.

Magic is just too... unpredictable. What happens if you run three casters and roll for three power dice? Even the Power Familiar won't be helping you much. Furthermore, the miscast table is absolutely devastating. Honestly, it is just too much of a risk, even with the low odds.

I think one caster, lvl 4 (to get off the big spells easier with fewer dice and fewer miscasts) and Tzeentch (Pandamonium will be devastating to magic armies, treason to horde armies and of course gateway is still awesome) will be perfect.

Instead of more casters, I will bring more Hellcannons. I will have two in every list from now on (which means I have to play with my really nice one until I can build another, grrr...) My one Hellcannon has more than made up for its points in every game he's played (especially when he misfired and rolled a three to make two level 3 sorcerers miscast, lol.) The extra inch of accuracy from not having to guess plus the lack of partial hits makes them much much much more effective, especially since the dude is still strength 5 instead of 3 like a normal stone thrower.

Also, I am in love with larger blocks of Chaos Warriors. Get a 6 x 5 unit of Warriors, and you have a very worthy anvil.

I absolutely agree with everything you've written here. I just ordered 2 Hellcannons (I've been proxying them) because they absolutely rock. The fact they can fire without their crew, they're pretty good in CC and the shooting you already mentioned make them a no brainer.

I'm also in agreement about the Magic. I still intend to keep messing around with the big Horde block of Marauders until I decide if they're truly worth it or not. If nothing else, they are garnering a lot of attention that'll keep some other units safe. I've tried one big block of Warriors, but had really bad luck with them, so I'll have to hold off on whether the point sink is worth it or not.

I'm really curious to hear how people are doing with Ogres, Trolls and Dragon Ogres now. I had a unit of Dragon Ogres (3) get absolutely crushed by a unit of 6 Rat Ogres. I'm seriously considering trying out a unit of Trolls or Ogres in 2 Ranks of 3.