PDA

View Full Version : Devil Dogs? Whats Your Opinion of Them?

Tsen
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Well I use 2 in my army alot and I've had TONNES of success with them but I've never seen anyone else use them, they always run the banewolf or hellhound. Now I see the selling points of both the others and I really do plan on using them at some point, but I decided to use them at devildogs on whim for my first game with them and now theyve stuck. I was just wondering if Im the only person whos had alot of success with them since I havent seen anyone else use them or if they just havent been picked up yet by alot of people.

Glocknal
08-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah the Devildog is certianly tempting. I dont like its the small blast template and it seems its kinda innacurate to do reliable tank busting, but being able to move 12" to get in melta death range is pretty nice. I like to use a Banewolf w/ Multi melta because it gives you anti infantry and anti-tank goodness, all the while being able to move 12" and shoot both weapons.

With a Hvy. Flamer, you can decimate nearly any 3+ save or worse squad in a single shot, w/ no attack roll.

Emperorsmercy
08-12-2009, 09:59 AM
My friend uses 1 Devil Dog, generally with mixed succsess. He has, out of the 9 games he has played, brought down 6 tanks , from Trukks to Land Raiders, but has been destroyed in 8 of them. So...

Glocknal
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I think with the devil dog, using two would be amny times more effeective than using just one. That goes with the banewolf as well.

RocketRollRebel
08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
My friend uses 1 Devil Dog, generally with mixed succsess. He has, out of the 9 games he has played, brought down 6 tanks , from Trukks to Land Raiders, but has been destroyed in 8 of them. So...

and he was expecting it to survive? This is the guard son! You fight till you're dead then you are replaced! :p

But I'm in the same camp of not being a fan of trying to hit a tank with a small blast template. But then again I have never actually tried it so I should proxy it a few times and see how it works i guess haha.

Nabterayl
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Depends a lot on the size of the target. As long as you can scatter 2" from the aiming point and still be on target, a BS3 small blast template is no more or less accurate than straight BS3 (well, okay, it's 1.9% more accurate). If I recall my vehicle dimensions correctly that means a Devil Dog is slightly more accurate than straight BS3 vs. a Land Raider and slightly less vs. a Rhino, so for the things you actually want a Devil Dog for it may be pretty much a wash.

Denzark
08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Played my first game with one on Sunday - in fact first game with new codex. Opposition was Spesse Mehrinuz. My opponent took a redeemer for flamestorm instant kill. But this meant he was so cacking it at a double melta armed dog, also with a demolisher, that the redeemer spent most of the games on the flanks hiding.

The template versus squads when tanks not in range rocks, so does move 6" and fire both.

I'm therefore sold.

Chumbalaya
08-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Devil Dog with heavy flamer in the hull. Zoom around, popping tanks (even if the hole isn't on the target you still get 2D6 pen and AP1) or burning infantry.

Awesome.

TheKingElessar
08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Just never get carried away with the odds of a small blast hitting a vehicle. Devil Dogs can scatter okay, because they's Melta. Not like people who insist the Fire Prism is anti-tank. Thinking Fail.

Brass Scorpion
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Devil Dog with multi-melta in the hull mount gives two chances to penetrate what you're shooting at with awesome melta power. I bought and built a Devil Dog on release day and am painting it now. If nothing else, anything that scary is bound to draw a lot of fire away from the rest of your army. Multi-melta madness!

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
After reading all this, I think I need to try a Devil Dog or two.... ;)

Tarion
08-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Devil Dog with heavy flamer in the hull. Zoom around, popping tanks (even if the hole isn't on the target you still get 2D6 pen and AP1) or burning infantry.

Awesome.

Heh, thats a good point. Makes it lethal for light tanks, and since its pretty damn accurate on the bigger tanks (Not got the figures to hand, so I'm trusting the people already posting in the thread) so it works for either.

I'm working on them, so when I've got my army you'll get my feedback. My current theory is to keep them low-key - My opponent has a choice of killing my Chimeras, my Devildogs or my Russes; either way I'm going to pop their tanks.

If I took Vendettas (My other option) they'd be a high-priority target, so they'd probably get smashed turn1.

Welshman1440
08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
I like to think of them as fire and forget weapons.

Get them into position and fimre them off. The enemy will either move away from it or make it go away with lots of very large guns.

If it's still there in your next turn, bonus!

I particualrly like the banewolf, the ability to move 12 inches and still fire the chem cannon is very handy (As it is strength one, it's a defensive wepon) But the devil-dog also has it's uses!

Xas
08-14-2009, 04:41 PM
I like my devildogs...
they are magnetized so the can be everything but mostly they stay devildogs.

i alwlays run them in multi purpose role with meltacanon and heavy flamer in hull.

this is 25points (or 20%!) cheaper than the same multi purpose role on one of the other types of tanks while all it losses is either 12" range for the flamer or ap3 on the flamer but still gets one 24" plasma cannon equivalent against infantry.

Chaosgerbil
08-16-2009, 02:07 AM
I prefer the medusa with bastion breacher shells to the Devildog, and they are a similar cost. It's not as mobile, but the range is great. You also don't need to be in close for the 2d6 pen roll.

Pariah Stevo
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
i play orks, so i don't even like guard, but i wanna play them just so i can field devil dogs. There just so cool.

Vostroyangen9072
05-07-2012, 03:06 PM
i like the devil dog with hull Hf and a pintle Sb just in case anything survives the heavy flamer, but once i read it's entry in the codex, i wanted one because having a tiny tank take out a tank larger then it's self is pretty good even with the chances of missing with the melta cannon.:)

Sure
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
The Devil Dog is something I've never actually seen played but that has been in nearly every Guard list I've kicked around (I want to start a new army, but with the new edition coming...).
In the right list it looks like it could be a real useful tool.

Brymm
05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I know after reading this that I will be converting my Hellhound into a Devil Dog. I have had too many games where I don't have infantry around to fry. I can't imagine I will ever find that I have no use for a MELTA CANNON!!!

thecactusman17
05-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Add someone who has considered many options for fielding IG (aesthetically I like their models and themes) I am sorry to say that the Dog has never appealed to me for a simple reason: the other two options can move 12" and intentionally target two separate units without scatter. However the DDog can only throw part if its firepower at a single unit unless it only shoots the heavy flamer. But the mental image is cool.

Bean
05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
It's good, but has trouble competing against the Vendetta. It's exactly as tough, it's better within 12", it's worth worse outside of 12"--and it doesn't have transport capacity.

Play one if you like it--it's sort of objectively a worthwhile tank--but if you're looking for a good fast attack anti-tank option, play a Vendetta, instead.

Wolfshade
05-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I like all the hell hound varients. Though I think my favourite is the Bane Wolf, Posioned AP3 template hits :)
A lot is situational, in my gaming group very few people have mech lists, so having lots of metla weaponry isn't required.