PDA

View Full Version : 2k SM: Terminators Galore

Melissia
06-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Just a fun list, playing around with max terminators.

HQ: 180 Pts
Captain in Terminator Armor w/ TH+SS, Digital Weapons

Elites: 1280 Pts
10 Terminators w/ 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers
10 Terminators w/ 2 Assault Cannons
Assault Terminator Squad
-- 5 TH+SS Terminators
-- 4 2xLCs Terminators

Troops: 540 Pts
Scout Marine Squad w/Camo Cloaks
-- 8 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles
-- Scout w/ Missile Launcher
-- Sergeant w/ Sniper Rifle, Bolt Pistol
Scout Marine Squad w/Camo Cloaks
-- 8 Scouts w/ Sniper Rifles
-- Scout w/ Missile Launcher
-- Sergeant w/ Sniper Rifle, Bolt Pistol
Scout Marine Squad
-- 9 Scouts w/ Combat Blades
-- Sergeant w/ Shotgun, Power Fist, Teleport Homer

All Terminator squads deploy via combat squads, one heavy weapon per squad in the shooty squads, and 3 TH/SS 2 2xLCs in the assault squad (counting the captain who deploys with one of the assault squads). Sniper scouts infiltrate onto close objectives, lay down fire from there. Combat blades Scouts scout move / Infiltrate as forward as possible (depending on which is more favorable at the time), to provide a place for the assault cannon squads to teleport in on, and to assault and hopefully claim a forward objective. The cyclone missile launcher squads deploy normally as forward as they can, marching forwards while firing their CMLs at the most appropriate target. Depending on the situation, the melee terminators can try teleporting in behind enemy lines, deploy normally to defend the scouts against deep strikers, or deploy near the melee scouts to help them out in combat.

Have fun with it.

Tynskel
06-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I am sad.

No Hv Flamers. :(

Connjurus
06-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Heavy Flamers are only useful in a few rare cases, most of the time - since unless you KNOW you're going to kill the squad you'll be flaming, those I:1 Terminators are going to get into close-combat, generally leading to one of two things - they get wiped out by some prime flamer target, like Genestealers, or get mobbed by a different kind of flamer target, like an IG blob squad. Either way, they're not doing what they're supposed to. :P

That's my experience, anyway.

But to the list - looks fun to play - I do so love Scouts.

dvs1
06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
No love for deathwing?

Melissia
06-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Heavy flamers have no use in this list.

Also, I don't care about the DA codex. Too lazy to bother with it.

Tynskel
06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
sure! I agree, they don't need to be in this list.

However, I don't agree with Connjurus. There are many instances where the Hv Flamer is just as valuable as the Powerfists.

The (5 Man squad) powerfists + Power Weapon will only kill half a marine squad. With Cyclone, kill 6 marines. With Hv Flamer, you'll kill 7-8 marines. That's pretty good. I have yet to go wrong with a Hv Flamer in a Terminator Squad.

Melissia
06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
With two S4 large blast you could potentially give wounds to half a squad each time, which could be a lot of kills depending on how they make their armor saves (on average 3.3~ wounds). Regardless, heavy flamers have no use here simply because the list NEEDS the anti-tank firepower of the CMLs.

Splug
06-30-2010, 10:30 AM
No love for deathwing?Loganwing would probably be a more effective way to run it than deathwing; maybe even than standard Codex: Space Marines, though with that many TH/SS terminators maybe not.

the jeske
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
HQ: 180 Pts
Captain in Terminator Armor w/ TH+SS, Digital Weapons
goes out and shriek goes in . this way one of the TH/SS gets infiltration and whole army gets fleet.

10 Terminators w/ 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers
10 Terminators w/ 2 Assault Cannons
make no sense to me. tac termis suck in 5th ed . too slow, ineffective against mecha , AC got nerfed and you cant take 2 hvy weapons in a 5man squad. . + TH/SS are superior . I would replace the AC unit with an assault termi unit .

and the cyclon termis for melta drop dreads to get a good chance of first turn two transports down and a mulit charge +fleet with infiltration from a 10 man termi squad supported by 3 scout units.

classic alfa strike build that loses when it doesnt get turn 1.

Melissia
06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
make no sense to me. tac termis suck in 5th ed
No, they do not, these units provide necessary fire support for the army while still having a decent assault ability. The Cyclone MLs and Assault Cannons add necessary anti-tank ability, allowing the army to destroy up to four transports in a single turn of shooting, NOT including the scout missile launchers. Without these, the army is ineffective against vehicles. Without these, the army cannot handle mech.

Also, I don't use special characters. Ever.

the jeske
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
4 transports . that is with combat squading no cover or smokes , no LoS blocking, no AV12+ , no LR rush builds . to be sure a even a rhino does you have to put 4 RL[so both cyclons] in to it or both AC [I think am not a math person but 8 str 6 shots is around 5-6 hiting then half stuning so one AC wont kill a rhino] . So even with the cyclons or AC it doesnt handle mecha . what does handle mecha is turn one drop pods with melta guns. 10 man sternguards with 6 combis combat squading and blowing up two things or two drop dreads at close range [but this is more risky without vulkan to buff the hiting] .

I dont see where you get the assault abilty too , any mecha rmy will run rings around them and charge them when they are low in numbers enough to wipe them out in one turn or drop them to 2-3 models . their SB also dont help much as most armies sit in transports , so wont get hurt by str 4 weapons [and when they do disembark , the termis will be understrenght , so it is probably going to be either shot and charge or double tap].

Also, I don't use special characters. Ever
I understand that point of view , but they do make build work better. Shriek costs like the cpt you take , but buffs the army and a unit he is with , while being not worse in hth.

Melissia
06-30-2010, 12:16 PM
They have power fists and storm bolters, two attacks each and three on the charge, and they can fire all their weapons on the charge anyway including the AC and CML.

Having three assault terminator squads would have far more problems with mech than this setup.

Connjurus
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
sure! I agree, they don't need to be in this list.

However, I don't agree with Connjurus. There are many instances where the Hv Flamer is just as valuable as the Powerfists.

The (5 Man squad) powerfists + Power Weapon will only kill half a marine squad. With Cyclone, kill 6 marines. With Hv Flamer, you'll kill 7-8 marines. That's pretty good. I have yet to go wrong with a Hv Flamer in a Terminator Squad.

7-8? How do you figure? With most of the people I play with, unit coherency has pretty much been stretched to the max to deal with template weapons. And Tactical Marines aren't exactly "prime Heavy Flamer" targets. For instance, the only time I field my Heavy Flamer wielding Termies are when I know I'll be facing an army that has a plethora of 4+ saves or worse. Otherwise...I just don't think it's worth it. Assault Cannons and Cyclone Missile Launchers all the way, in my opinion - both can deal with Mech/MCs, Infantry, Heavy Infantry, AND hordes much more reliably than the Heavy Flamer. Not to knock - the times when I have needed it, it's done its job admirably. A deepstriking 10-man MoT Term squad with two heavy flamers is amazing for clearing out Scouts from cover. Two heavy flamers and 8 twin-linked bolter shots from a deepstruck squad. Does amazing things.

But when I play regular Space Marines, I usually don't bring them.

But hey, it's awesome that you do! Different play-styles to accomplish similar goals. :) I just prefer versatility in squads that have the ability to be versatile.

Tynskel
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Must be a meta game thing- most people I deal with attempt to stretch out, but due to disembarking, exploding vehicles, and tank shock, when I am firing a Hv flamer I typically hit 7-8 models. This also means that I am in close enough that I rarely fail the charge-- has to be some quirk of the dice (like rolling 2s n' 3s on 2d6 when charging through cover).

Part of this may be experience: I used to run all Drop Pods for about 4-5 years-- so teleporting HvFlamers are second nature to me. You learn to be very consistent with flamers. They are possibly my favorite weapon in the entire game.

Are they the most effective weapon in the game? Nope. But, they sure are fun. I do think they are one of the most effective Terminator weapons. The Cyclone launcher just usually doesn't do the job for me, also, shooting vehicles is wasting the other 8 storm bolter shots. The Assault Cannon would be better, but the same situations: the storm bolters are wasted. The tank has to be a very high priority target in that instance for me. Or something went wrong (like my Million Melta weapons so how missed, failed to pen, or just Stunned the vehicle). If I am running Terminator heavy, I usually take one squad with a Hv Flamer and one squad with an Assault Cannon. This allows me to have some moderate range--- but overall, I want to be point blank range---- 12 Powerfist Attacks on the charge are too good to pass up.

Connjurus
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, I haven't played Regular Space Marines since I bought the vanilla codex. I played a few weeks of trial games and decided that CSMs were still more fun for me. And, well...uh...all of my Terminators, except for my Mark of Tzeentch squad, have combi-meltas unless they have TLCs. xP So if my Reaper Autocannons are shooting at that AV:13 Baal Pred, so will a few melta shots.

Tynskel
06-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, I haven't played Regular Space Marines since I bought the vanilla codex. I played a few weeks of trial games and decided that CSMs were still more fun for me. And, well...uh...all of my Terminators, except for my Mark of Tzeentch squad, have combi-meltas unless they have TLCs. xP So if my Reaper Autocannons are shooting at that AV:13 Baal Pred, so will a few melta shots.

I still haven't figured out why GW took away the ability for Sgt. to take wargear in terminator squads.

I really miss my combi-plasma/melta sgts. At that point, that's when the other weapons really start to shine. A combi-plasma on the sgt, an Assault Cannon, + Combi-plasma character = awesome!

wolflold
07-06-2010, 03:01 AM
If you take a TH/SS captain, why not take Lysander? For 20 pts more you have a str 10, 4 wounds, +1 damage on vehicles, it can not be instand death captain...

Lucian Kain
07-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Its been done but i like this list,infact it was roughly the first list i made after plastic terminators came out less one scout squad,except then you could have 6-man terminator squads with 2 heavy weapons and rending was more effective so i was all about the assault cannon.maybe chuck a coulpe more teliport homers in for flexability.Nothing wrong with a special character from time to time to add a bit of flavour and a chance to do some unique custom chopshop & sculpt.I hope some nice GK Grand master SC materialises in the next DH Codex,something so cheesey that it far surpasses Calgar,Logan, and Mephiston.It seems to be the way games GW is going cheese'r with every releese.Grey Knight Termi Wing Yea!Woot-Woot!another one....more space marines....

Mr.MoreTanks
07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Also, I don't use special characters. Ever.

Why not? Special characters lead to new options and opportunities with most lists, plus they can help build a story to your army without even trying to. It seems..... foolish, and aginst the spirit of the game to make a remark and personal rule like that. Did you have a bad experience with special characters?

Melissia
07-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Because they're GW's characters, not mine. I don't want to play Marneus Calgar. **** marneus Calgar, and **** everything he stands for. I'm not interested in Vulkan. I don't care about Lysander. Etc etc etc.

addamsfamily36
07-14-2010, 07:39 PM
0 man sternguards with 6 combis combat squading and blowing up two things or two drop dreads at close range [but this is more risky without vulkan to buff the hiting] .

i think your missing the point.

Its a terminator heavy army. So what if melta weapons in a drop pod are good at anti tank? thats not the point of the list is it.

Besides im sure melissia is perfectly aware of melta capability after all i do believe she runs a sisters army, possibly demon hunters and guard (sorry if i got those other two wrong melissia)

Also melissia doesn't use SC so why pick vulkan (like every other space marine army) to lead a bunch of terminators?

I personally like SC, but im starting to take the route that melissia does, im fed up of seeing the same characters over and over. I used to be the only one who would bother to run Mephiston both in 3rd ed and in white dwarf (in various GW's and gaming groups) now he's everywhere!

Lucian Kain
07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
You don't have to thats the point,ok thier rules will be the same but they open up some nice avenues for makeing a Fairly unique sculpt useing counts as "Marnius Calgar". for instance could be depicted as the big cheese of some home grown chapter who instead of useing TH/SS are depicted as massive claymores/shields,his fists could be one big claymore that can be used as a power fist or power weapon and his re rolls depicting his weapons uniqueness or sheer martial prowess,an ornate gauntlet/sholder monted storm bolter, big magazines, what ever.....I dont like useing special characters much apart from the flavour they provide.A smarty pants knows you can get more bang for your buck if you use as many cheep options as possible but if thats where you think its at, sweet as.

Ill actually continue to go way off subject with this; how about every supported army flavour that exists is boring because your imagionations left to nothing....

addamsfamily36
07-14-2010, 07:51 PM
You don't have to thats the point,ok thier rules will be the same but they open up some nice avenues for makeing a Fairly unique sculpt useing counts as "Marnius Calgar". for instance could be depicted as the big cheese of some home grown chapter who instead of useing TH/SS are depicted as massive claymores/shields,his fists could be one big claymore that can be used as a power fist or power weapon and his re rolls depicting his weapons uniqueness or sheer martial prowess,an ornate gauntlet/sholder monted storm bolter, big magazines, what ever.....I dont like useing special characters much apart from the flavour they provide.A smarty pants knows you can get more bang for your buck if you use as many cheep options as possible but if thats where you think its at, sweet as.

i hope this was to me, lol , because if it was at melissia.......well you might be ok as you said "if thats where you think its at then sweet as", but i would advise you not to tell her what to do nor would i point out the obvious to someone who already knows those points.

Just a word of warning.

You'll like melissia but she bites...occasionally

Lucian Kain
07-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks ill take that under advisement-addamsfamily36
Exactly i think i was looking for it, ive noticed people seem to tiptoe around what they say or just agree with others without giveing thier own reasons,not everyone but its there And i Dont dought she knows what shes on about hence my stance.