PDA

View Full Version : Considering FoW, is this a list thatīs possible to start with?

Warp
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Being an avid 40K and FB player Iīve started looking seriously at FoW. I love two things: Tanks and Elite Troops :)

I wanted to start an American army (for tank companies and 101st AB), and want to start out with tanks (I was pretty happy when I realised you could field a force with ONLY tanks :D ) and I ended up looking through a bit of sites to get some ideas. Ended up finding a list that I would love to build and was wondering if this is a list thatīs possible to start out with. I donīt even have the rulebook and Iīm basically in the thought phase still, but itīs never too early to start right?

Command HQ 230 points

2 shermans
Tank Platoon I 345

3 shermans
Tank Platoon II 345

3 shermans
Tank Platoon III 245

4 m5 Stewarts
Artillery Section 170 points (should be replaced by mobile artillery + recon unit)

105mm howitzer section
Tank Destroyer Section 160 points

m3 75mm section

Need to credit the source: http://www.flamesofwarcommand.com/strategy/americans/1500-point-american-tank-company/#more-260

aztex3400
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Im glad you are jumping on the FoW band wangon. Just a piece of advice. For your first attempt at FoW do the Paras as you will learn the basics of the game. Have some tank support for you infantry, you will have alot less frustration learning the game. I play both paras (82nd airborn) and tank company. the tank company is by far the harder to play. glad to see more folks getting into the game

Aldramelech
06-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Although it is possible to do an all armoured force, I wouldnt recomend it. WW2 is all about combined arms warfare. Your tanks will be very vunerable to infantry assault and the Germans are extremley good at it. You've got a lot of arty there, Id swap some out for infantry.

Warp
06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Ah, okay, thanks for the input! You wouldn't happen to have a list or recommend somewhere to find a list that's okay to begin with? I will off course paint up tanks because I like'em, but it would be good to start with a list that I can actually play as well :)

Would I be able to basically paint up an Airborne company and tank company and combine them in play or is it not exactly how FoW works? I'm considering buying the "USAB02 2nd Armored Division" boxed set or something similar.

I'm sorry for these basic questions, but no store around here has FoW and noone really plays it (yet, I'll make'em) so I can't really draw on experience and like I said, I don't even have the rulebook. I would like to start with some stuff along with the book to paint and read if you get my drift.

Aldramelech
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes that should be doable. 82nd Airborne had armour support during various engagements. FOW lists are quite flexible in that respect, usually allowing you to attach things like armour and arty to your core unit and vise versa.

I play early war so Im not up on which book you need.

Warp
07-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Ah yes off course, there are books and lists tied to the historic battles. Think I'll start with the main book, an airborne unit or two and some tanks and go from there :) I obviously need a good overview of what the elements are, as it appears to be a bit more complex than 40K/FB.

Thanks for the input.

Aldramelech
07-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Good luck mate. Your starting a journey that will lead you into a much wider hobby, history and knowledge.

I hope you find it as exciting as I did when I first started many years ago. Its so much more then a game.

Warp
07-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Thank you and thank you for the help! We'll see what happens :)

Warp
07-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Rulebook arrived yesterday, so now Iīm at least starting the journey :)

Definitely making a 101st airborne army and a balanced army (will check more on the books etc) and also got myself the 101st airborne dice and marker set box!

Inquisitor Hate Machine
07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
For your air borne, you can use Hell's Highway (they have 101st specific lists and Warriors there) and Bloody Omaha for "generic" paras. I play 82nd (family in there) and use Hell's Highway (operation market garden)

Warp
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
For your air borne, you can use Hell's Highway (they have 101st specific lists and Warriors there) and Bloody Omaha for "generic" paras. I play 82nd (family in there) and use Hell's Highway (operation market garden)

Good to hear, thanks for the advice :)