Dwarf Warrior Kinband 4 companies 185
Shieldbearer

Minas Tirith Warriors 6 companies 150

Fortunes
Inner Glory 50

Total: 1495pts

iamaddj
08-12-2009, 10:36 PM
First Dain is the most amazing hero ever!

2nd unless I am stupid you seem to be paying 20 more for Murin's Guard then they cost.

Dwarf archers are the most useless unit in the army I would suggest looking at a replacement for them, they are mediocre shots with bad bows, stick to Warrior Kinbands, with shields I would recommend.

Since your taking Dain I would recommend also taking Floi, they are great combo. Not only is Floi a good hero himself but at the begging of every turn you should have Dain counsel Floi using all of Dain's might, hopefully he will create some new might this way, Floi can then return Dain's might to Dain using Epic Renewal, Floi can also pass along any newly made might to heroes that need it, and this is really useful with your Legendary formations.

Dáin Ironfoot
08-12-2009, 11:39 PM
First Dain is the most amazing hero ever!

2nd unless I am stupid you seem to be paying 20 more for Murin's Guard then they cost.

Dwarf archers are the most useless unit in the army I would suggest looking at a replacement for them, they are mediocre shots with bad bows, stick to Warrior Kinbands, with shields I would recommend.

Since your taking Dain I would recommend also taking Floi, they are great combo. Not only is Floi a good hero himself but at the begging of every turn you should have Dain counsel Floi using all of Dain's might, hopefully he will create some new might this way, Floi can then return Dain's might to Dain using Epic Renewal, Floi can also pass along any newly made might to heroes that need it, and this is really useful with your Legendary formations.

You are correct! Thank you for that. I will change it momentarily.

Im not sure I agree with your consensus on the Dwarf archers. With Dwarf archers you gain a mediocre archer unit yes but which also has Fight 4, Str 4, and D 6 which isn't bad mind you. With the Dwarves slow movement this will allow them to get rounds of shooting off while getting into combat. This maximizes their damage and makes them worthwhile as they do dmg getting into CC while a reg kinband would do none getting into it. So its more killy than a regular warband for less points the only problem is it doesn't survive quite as long due to the Defense difference. The points difference makes up for this in my mind and its not a bad unit. Also with 4+ they still do get an accuracy bonus. I know they wont get that many rounds of shooting in, especially against cavalry but they will get enough to make a difference. I have tactics to ensure that.

Yes I have heard great things about Floi. I just don't know where I would free up that 90 points. I love my Shieldbearers and I don't want any less infantry than what I already got.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
You are correct! Thank you for that. I will change it momentarily.

Im not sure I agree with your consensus on the Dwarf archers. With Dwarf archers you gain a mediocre archer unit yes but which also has Fight 4, Str 4, and D 6 which isn't bad mind you. With the Dwarves slow movement this will allow them to get rounds of shooting off while getting into combat. This maximizes their damage and makes them worthwhile as they do dmg getting into CC while a reg kinband would do none getting into it. So its more killy than a regular warband for less points the only problem is it doesn't survive quite as long due to the Defense difference. The points difference makes up for this in my mind and its not a bad unit. Also with 4+ they still do get an accuracy bonus. I know they wont get that many rounds of shooting in, especially against cavalry but they will get enough to make a difference. I have tactics to ensure that.

Yes I have heard great things about Floi. I just don't know where I would free up that 90 points. I love my Shieldbearers and I don't want any less infantry than what I already got.

I think I may agree with iamaddj on this one Dain. The lower Defense of the Archers will make enough of them die from enemy archers (with longer range mostly) to negate the effect of the archery on their side. Although I could see how what your talking about could be used to effectiveness. They also make a good screen for your King's Champion in any case.

iamaddj
08-14-2009, 02:38 AM
I played about 20 games at different point levels using the archer in a attempt to make them worth while and just could not do it. The fact of the matter is that Dwarf infentry is really pretty Killy in CC, S4 good fight, and thats where they want to be. Switching from defense 8 to 6 takes them from better then average to below average and against really infantry your archers just wont kill enough, and they if they want to shot they have to move at half and not move at the double, or they can spend might to shot, but that is really a waste.

Dáin Ironfoot
08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I played about 20 games at different point levels using the archer in a attempt to make them worth while and just could not do it. The fact of the matter is that Dwarf infentry is really pretty Killy in CC, S4 good fight, and thats where they want to be. Switching from defense 8 to 6 takes them from better then average to below average and against really infantry your archers just wont kill enough, and they if they want to shot they have to move at half and not move at the double, or they can spend might to shot, but that is really a waste.

I have found otherwise.

DKoR yea they would be a good screen for my King's Champion as well, I am thinking of using them as so in addition to their killing abilities.

Dáin Ironfoot
08-18-2009, 03:44 PM
I am thinking of making a change.

The Kings Champion out and 3 companies of Dwarf Ballistaes in.

Thoughts on this?

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I am thinking of making a change.

The Kings Champion out and 3 companies of Dwarf Ballistaes in.

Thoughts on this?

Great choice imo. The Ballistaes give you more formation and monster killing power for just 5 more points. When you go to 2000pt I would suggest a few companies of Vault Wardens to shield them.

Dáin Ironfoot
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Great choice imo. The Ballistaes give you more formation and monster killing power for just 5 more points. When you go to 2000pt I would suggest a few companies of Vault Wardens to shield them.

Yea im also making another change. Im taking out the Dwarf Archers and replacing them with Minas Tirith Warrior allies, 6 companies of them to be precise. Gives me another hardy unit that's cheap and large.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Yea im also making another change. Im taking out the Dwarf Archers and replacing them with Minas Tirith Warrior allies, 6 companies of them to be precise. Gives me another hardy unit that's cheap and large.

That solves the argument on whether or not the Dwarf Archer Kinbands are useless or not. I think its a good idea. Dwarves are always a little low on numbers so a high Defense large unit like the Warriors will help out a lot. Another great choice Dain.