PDA

View Full Version : 1750 Marine Drop pod Army

spaz102
07-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Good Day All,

I am looking for feedback on my 1750 drop pod army.
1750 Pts - Space Marines Roster

1 Captain Darnath Lysander @ 200 pts

1 Space Marine Librarian @ 140 pts Terminator Armour, Storm Shield)

5 man Terminator Squad @ 235 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Power Fist x3; Storm Bolter x4; x1 chain fist x1 cyclone launcher , Serg SB/PW

1 Ironclad Dreadnought @ 205 pts Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Ironclad Assault Launchers; Dreadnought CCW; Meltagun; Seismic Hammer; Heavy Flamer; 1 Drop Pod-Locator Beacon;

1 Ironclad Dreadnought @ 195 pts Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Ironclad Assault Launchers; Dreadnought CCW; Meltagun; Seismic Hammer; Heavy Flamer
1 Drop Pod

9 Tactical Squad @ 220 pts; Meltagun; Multi-Melta;
1 Sergeant Combi-Meltagun x1;
1 Drop Pod

9 Tactical Squad @ 215 pts Flamer; Missile Launcher
1 Sergeant Combi-Flamer x1
1 Drop Pod

9 Tactical Squad @ 225 pts Plasmagun; Missile Launcher;
1 Sergeant Combi-Plasmagun x1
1 Drop Pod

2 Scout Bike Squad @ 95 pts
1 Sergeant Locator Beacon;

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts!!!

Sooller
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
One point of advice, no need to copy all the special rules etc ... it makes your list a wall of text and many people will TLDR.

Sir Biscuit
07-06-2010, 01:07 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmy Buillllllllllllllllllllllllllder...

I would love to critique your list, but I can't slog through that block of text. Could you at least put an extra line between squads to differentiate them? It would really help...

Also, these lists tend to be much easier to analyze and critique when you cut out all the standard special rules and equipment. (IE only list the upgrades, not what they already have.)

spaz102
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
updated list for easy reading.

Thanks again

Sir Biscuit
07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
That is 1,000 times better. Thank you. :)

First thoughts:
Scout bikers are cool, and I assume you want to use them to bring down the pods with their locator beacon and scout move. However, they seem to be the only thing you start on the field... so I wouldn't expect them to survive too long. I think you'd be better off dropping them and upgrading your troops more. You should spend 40 of those points on 4x hunter-killers for your dreds.

Speaking of dreds, you shold consider dropping the ironclad assault launchers. Dreadnoughts are one of the few units which don't really benifit from I4 when charging cover, as a powerfist is usually the only thing that can hurt you anyway. (And lets be honest, you won't kill your way through to it before it can strike in the first round anyway.) So we can save some points there too. I think we have 85 points now, yes? Lets buy your seargents powerfists, you'll need them as you are so far forward. That leaves us 10.

I want to like shooting terminators. I really, really do, but TH/SS (thunder hammer/storm shield) are too good to pass up. Really, you have enough shooting (since you will get the drop-strike at vulnerable points) but I see you having trouble with MCs (monsterous creatures) and other hard melee units. Lysander is your only decent MC killer, short of army-wide focus-fire, and the termies will take too many casualties to be acceptable against big units. Dreads are good against most things, but MCs tend to eat them alive. TH/SS terminators take a billion hit but don't stop, and deliver a thrashing to boot. Also, saves us a cool 35 points. (So now we have 45.)

I also think that your squads are too specialized. Simply swap the combi-weapon on the melta and flamer squad to correct this. Now each squad can deal with whatever it needs to; that flexibility is important in a drop army as you lack the on-field mobility of a standard mechanized force. You may also want to swap the plasma squads gear for melta, as it allows you to fire and then assault. Our points are back up to 55. Woo. Spend them where you want, I'd reccomend upgrading the librarian so he can use two powers per turn. (Which should probably be Null Zone+The Avenger or Null Zone+ Force Dome.)

I would also reccomend turning those missile launchers into multi-meltas... If you want to kill light infantry, you can charge them (marine flexibility!) but the increased damage to tanks is indespensible.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Best way to work out a list is to play it and adjust based on playstyle. best of luck. :)

Splug
07-06-2010, 10:53 AM
There's nothing that jumps out as an immediate "OMG FIX IT" problem, which is good. I've played a few drop / deep strike heavy armies before, and the biggest problem I had was the other player reserving everything. You go from getting a great first-turn drop to being stuck on the board first, with no transports. The second largest is that you're going to be coming in piecemeal, and poor reserve rolls can result in your followup pods arriving just as the previous wave is dying out, rather than to reinforce a steady line.

I'm not sure how helpful the scout bikers will end up being, as a result. If the other player goes first, they'll shoot them to death before your turn if you deploy them, and if you don't the beacon isn't there for the drops. If you go first, the other player will likely reserve everything, meaning your first drop doesn't need much precision anyway.

You may want to consider swapping Lysander for Calgar. When you have no transports to hide in, being fearless on demand (and running away on demand!) is extremely helpful. As-is, you're susceptible to ping-pong fallback preventing you from staying close enough to hurt an IG player (especially if they have a PBS), while at the same time being an easy assault target against say Blood Angels. Calgar might be a bit easier to bring down and have less anti-tank than Lysander, but you've already got two dreadnoughts and some melta weapons on the table.

Another option would be to pull in a land speeder for the scouts. The speeders can deep strike in with the second half of your force, providing some hard-to-avoid tank busting.

Tynskel
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Personally, I like the Ironclad Assault Launchers. I think they are worth having--- yes, the Ironclad, by itself, will not kill enough to kill the 'hidden powerfist'. But, how often does the dread charge without backup? I think the Assault Launchers are worth buy for 2 reasons:

1) Going at Initiative 4 never hurts.
2) Reducing the attacks of someone that is counter charging you (ie: Terminators), is a good idea too.

Other comments: I like scout bikers n' all, but they really don't fit in this list. I would spend the points on locator beacons/teleport homers, and Sgt upgrades.

Sir Biscuit is right: thunder hammer terms are pretty awesome. I love my terminators, and from a tournament standpoint, the Thunder Hammers are better. However, a good player can make very good use of regular terminators too. Just know their limitations.
Also- the space marine codex has 12 man Drop Pods--- you can easily fit Lysander into a different pod, and still benefit from the bolter re-rolls. Put him in the squad with the flamer. Then just go around smashing stuff!