PDA

View Full Version : Quick quest re:the Warp and time..

Kuhlbert
07-06-2010, 07:28 AM
I know there are references of ships going into the warp and coming out, only to find that longer time (sometimes a LOT longer) has passed outside the warp: A ship goes in, and everyone on board feels like a week has passed, but when they exit they find 10 years have passed in realspace...

Has there ever been a canonical reference to the opposite? That a ship spends a long period of time in the warp (which has its own problems, I accept - but that's not the point of this exercise) - but when it jumps out, hardly any time has passed in the real world? A ship spends 10 years in the warp (ACK!) and when it leaves, only 1 week has passed...

Just playing with some ideas....

Erasmus of Baal
07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I haven't heard of any such instances either, but I've only been told that time works "differently" in the Warp. The idea of travel taking longer for someone watching the motion than for someone traveling is a normal aspect of Einsteinian physics, being applicable (if not usefully or noticeably) even on you walking across your room. With all of the magic-like aspects of the Warp, I suppose it is possible, but the only method I could think of is to actually hold still in the Warp while everything in realspace continues on their merry ways (which might not work, but could if we stop considering real physics).

Actually, have you ever seen the fourth Star Trek Movie--I think it's called "The Journey Home"? It's extremely relativistic, but what they use in the movie might work, especially if the Warp is applied....

Melissia
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes, there has.

There's a reference in the 4th edition (And therefor most recent) Ork codex to an Ork Warboss actually going BACK in time, and meeting himself a few hours before he left. He killed his past self so that he could have two of his favorite shoota, and then took the now doubled in size WAAAGH! and invaded an Imperial subsector.

Gotthammer
07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
There are instances of people arriving before they left, so it's certainly feasable.

Edit: Mel, the Waargh breaks down due to confusion rather than going on to victory.

Melissia
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Mn? I don't recall reading that part myself, but I don't have the codex in front of me at the moment so I'll assume you're right.

Nabterayl
07-06-2010, 11:58 AM
He's right. The Waaagh! doubles in size, but the confusion over whether the warlord has been killed or not causes so much infighting that the Waaagh! breaks down.

Though the warlord in question does get two of his favorite shoota ;)

BlackKnight15624
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Page 29 of the Ork Codex- the Lost Waaagh! The Ork waaagh end up arriving shortly before they left; the Warboss hunted himself down and killed himself so he could have a spare of his favourite gun. The resulting confusion stopped the Waaagh!