PDA

View Full Version : Orks, Tyranids and the warp

Inquisitor Gray
07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone. So I have been reading over the Tyranid Codex and have started to wonder what GM means Shadow of the Warp to mean. Iv read enough to know it messes with warp travel and Astropath communication, as well as anyone who can use the warp. But does this mean that the Tyranids are a psychic race, and that the hive mind uses the warp to control its brood. Or is this just a byproduct.

So on a similar note, it does not seem that the Ork psychic WAAAAAA is effected by the Shadow of the warp. Which is kinda strange if they both work in the warp. Also would a Hive Tyrant be hurt by a human black, or person who is harmful to warp energy?

Does anyone has any thoughts on this? Specifically what connected the Tyranids have to the warp?

Melissia
07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
You're referring to a "Blank" I believe. Blank, Null, Pariah, etc., those with whose presence in the warp is something similar to a hole of non-existence. Any being with psychic power (including Hive Tyrants) are effected by a Blank. But I doubt they feel any pain per se, as no Tyranids are really bred to feel pain.

That's right, the WAAAGH! doesn't appear to be effected by the Shadow in the Warp. But then, it also doesn't appear to be effected by anything other htan there being more or less Orks in an area. Perhaps it belongs in a category of its own.

Inquisitor Gray
07-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes your right, I ment Blank. I'm a bit dyslexic at times. So do you think that if the Tyranid Hive Mind is in the warp, if you kill a hive Tyrant with a Blank, then you will stop it from rejoining the Hive Mind and there for stop it from being reborn?

Melissia
07-06-2010, 10:24 AM
No clue. Blanks are poorly understood in-universe by anyone but the Necrons, and they aren't talking.

Drew da Destroya
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes your right, I ment Blank. I'm a bit dyslexic at times. So do you think that if the Tyranid Hive Mind is in the warp, if you kill a hive Tyrant with a Blank, then you will stop it from rejoining the Hive Mind and there for stop it from being reborn?

You're totally thinking of the Dark Templar killing Cerebrates, aren't you?

I'm not even totally sure the Tyranid have a distinct enough personality to really be "reborn", honestly. I think the Hive Mind just recreates creatures with the same set of abilities as other creatures it's created before. So a blank killing the Swarmlord wouldn't kill the Swarmlord forever, just kill that version, which the Hive Mind could then create again.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are multiple Swarmlords (or other special character bugs) operating at any given time within the different hive fleets, none of whom are resurrected versions of the original... just new versions of the old beast.

Sam
07-06-2010, 05:43 PM
You're totally thinking of the Dark Templar killing Cerebrates, aren't you?

I'm not even totally sure the Tyranid have a distinct enough personality to really be "reborn", honestly. I think the Hive Mind just recreates creatures with the same set of abilities as other creatures it's created before. So a blank killing the Swarmlord wouldn't kill the Swarmlord forever, just kill that version, which the Hive Mind could then create again.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are multiple Swarmlords (or other special character bugs) operating at any given time within the different hive fleets, none of whom are resurrected versions of the original... just new versions of the old beast.

"Unlike many other Tyranid creatures, Hive Tyrants are incredibly intelligent and completely self-aware"
"Should a Hive Tyrant be slain, the Hive Mind can simply grow a replacement, imbuing it with the same experiences, character and knowledge as its predecessor." -Page 34 for the Tyranids codex

Hive Tyrants absolutely have a distinct enough personality to be reborn, and in fact that is exactly what happens when the Hive Mind makes a new version of one.

Freefall945
07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Huh... Hive Tyrants are Cylons. Didn't know that.

Porty1119
07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
And therefore, Necrons are Centurions. Huh?

Lucidum
07-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Welcome to 40K, we rip of a story here, a character concept there, mimic movies, etc. But we're awesome 'cause we've been around for 20 years! :D

Dellamorte
12-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. So I have been reading over the Tyranid Codex and have started to wonder what GM means Shadow of the Warp to mean. Iv read enough to know it messes with warp travel and Astropath communication, as well as anyone who can use the warp. But does this mean that the Tyranids are a psychic race, and that the hive mind uses the warp to control its brood. Or is this just a byproduct.

So on a similar note, it does not seem that the Ork psychic WAAAAAA is effected by the Shadow of the warp. Which is kinda strange if they both work in the warp. Also would a Hive Tyrant be hurt by a human black, or person who is harmful to warp energy?

Does anyone has any thoughts on this? Specifically what connected the Tyranids have to the warp?

I can throw in my two cents on Orks but I will leave the Tyranids to the experts.

My understanding of it would of course affect an Ork Weirdboy but not the innate psychic abilities of Orks (their Waaagh or equipment). In these instances it is the Ork psychic powers that affect the warp and not the warp affecting them. In the literature, Orks can’t be corrupted (anymore thanks to retcon), and can even travel into warp space with little risk (other than the occasional daemon using an ork’s face as a warp hole). If this is upheld than a Blank could affect a weirdboy’s powers, but the race as a whole.

Melissia, feel free to rein me in if I’m too far out into left field.

justsam
12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
but not the innate psychic abilities of Orks (their Waaagh or equipment).

the way i've always understood it, the shadow wouldn't affect the orks because the orks simply don't know about it or understand it. if they can't see it, it can't see them (hello, impending derailment!). but maybe i'm wrong too.

Dellamorte
12-25-2010, 12:50 AM
the way i've always understood it, the shadow wouldn't affect the orks because the orks simply don't know about it or understand it. if they can't see it, it can't see them (hello, impending derailment!). but maybe i'm wrong too.

I don't think their innate ability is a full on "Escher Effect". Even if a terran engineer can't figure out how an ork shoota works, if he plugs up the barrel (even with out the knowledge of said ork gunner) than there is going to be a discharge issue. As far as shadows and blanks... that might be up to house rules.

Emerald Rose Widow
01-10-2011, 12:56 AM
From my understanding the reason that the Swarmlord is so deadly is because every time it dies, the hive mind creates another with the same memories and everything. The swarmlord is essentially a skin job cylon, which just makes me geek out, hehe.

Then again, Galactica was an awesome show.

dannyat2460
01-10-2011, 04:58 AM

No tyranids are not psychic but know that the warp exists and as they dont like it as some of the other races can use it against them (calling for reinforcments, reinforcments ariving through the warp, psychic powers) that they want to disrupt it in some way if not stop it from working completerly, Or maybe its the warp responding to the tyranids the warp does react and change to the mood of the galaxy as its full of war and missery and hatered so is the warp a twisted evil misserable place maybe as the tyranids are so different to the rest of the 40k universe the warp is changing to reflect there mood...

As for the orks there powers come from the Waaaagh as they call it no real explanation maybe they are linked to the warp somehow but as they ork fluff looks at it from the point of view of the orks and they dont know how it works it just does thats all we know