PDA

View Full Version : A Humble Chimera Question

GPrime
08-13-2009, 05:03 AM
I have begun mechanising my guard and was just looking for some advice.

How have people been kitting out their Chimeras?

Are any upgrades considered mandatory?

i have had a lot of success with:
Hull Heavy Bolter
Multilaser
Heavy stubber

This is what i put my Company Command Squad(CCS) in and sit in my deployment zone. It gives a few extra inches for orders and creats a 36'' Heavy weapon platform. Once they get within 24" the plasma guns in the CCS can add their shots too.

As for my squads i want to advance/outfank with i was thinking:
Heavy flamer
Multilaser

im not sure if i should pay the points for a heavy stubber on these or not. i'm thinking moving at 12'' first turn and popping smoke would be more effective than 6" and firing 3 heavystubber and 3 multilaser shots. Especially since you ewant to get the melta carrying vets in the back within 12" ASAP.

Thoughts? also if there is a thread or blog that has covered this please point me in the right direction

Cheers

Dingareth
08-13-2009, 05:46 AM
I use Multi-laser and Heavy Flamer on mine.

The S6 shots give some transport popping ability, while the Heavy Flamer is a good way to finish off squads and ignore the oh so present cover saves of 5th Edition.

BuFFo
08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I use Multi-laser and Heavy Flamer on mine.

The S6 shots give some transport popping ability, while the Heavy Flamer is a good way to finish off squads and ignore the oh so present cover saves of 5th Edition.

This is exactly what I use.

Glocknal
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Me three,

Hull Flamer FTW, I killed I killed off a squad of Wyches to claim an objective with one shot from the flamer.

Latro_
08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Yea hull heavy flamer seems to be the ideal option folks seem to be taking.

I'd maybe go full ML,HB,HS if you were planning to buy them for bog standard infantry squads with heavy weapons, using them as a sort of armoured gun line. However then you are not using them for the main purpose,,, packing them full of vets with melta and nuking everything on the way to enemy objectives :p

Zombie Savant
08-13-2009, 07:36 PM
One of my favorite combos is a Platoon Command Squad with 4x flamers inside of a Chimera with a Multi-laser/Heavy Flamer.

Roll up, disembark, flame what needs to burn to death. Often times, the opponent will either not be able to kill both the guard squad and the chimera, and will have to pick one to die (I usually try to hit flanks with this, so there aren't too many models that can respond. In an ideal situation, I only have to worry about one unit firing, and one unit can only kill one unit). If this is the case, the remaining group gets another turn of template magic next turn.

Happiness all around!

I think a gunline chimera can be quite effective especially with something like this:

Heavy Stubber, Heavy Bolter, Multi-Laser, Guard Squad with grenade launcher and autocannon.

At 24 inches, you're getting 3 Str 4, 3 Str 5, 4 Str 6, and 2 Str 7 shots. That's pretty terrifying, and for very cheap, too.