PDA

View Full Version : Ordo Chronos?

Inquisitor Gray
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey could someone tell me what the back story on the Ordo Chronos is? Both Fluff wise and what people think. I have seen people talk about this before, but have never come across anything about it myself. Thanks!

Kelbor hal
07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
The ordo Chronos is a incredibly mysterious and enigmatic Ordo of the Inquisition dedicated to discovering the potential of time travel through the warp and, more specifically, the deliberate manipulation of those events.

As to what I think? I think that it is tech-heresy to even consider the use of such ancient archeo-mechanics that would be needed to make it work :(.

:D

~ Hal.

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Yeah, theres little known about them but I have my own take on them if you'd like to continue reading.

I see them like the Time Lords from Dr who, or more specifically like Morbius. Morbius was a high-ranking Time Lord whose career was the first in millennia to dramatically alter Gallifrey's relationship to the wider universe, briefly moving the world's policy away from observation and manipulation of external affairs and instead towards brutal restructuring of the universe to suit Gallifrey's best interests. Morbius' ambition led him to become the head of the High Council, where his warlike nature led him to urge the Time Lords toward a policy of conquest, demanding the Laws of Time and structure of the universe be redrawn to better suit Gallifrey's needs.

Now if you apply those ideas to the Inquisition, you have a pretty awesome Ordo - one that wants to restructure time to suit Terra and the emperors interests - allowing the imperium to become the inheritors of the galaxy like they believe they should be. They seem even more secretive compared to the other Ordos, so they could have alot of interesting dark-age technology or inparticular time-travel machines.

You could potentially give them some awesome crazy weapons. Temporal extinction devices, weapons that put time-lines into loops or pocket-universes ensuring those potential futures never happen. Time Crystalisers that make every eventuality happen simultaneously - select the elements from the best ones and form them together creating a "perfect" future occurance. All in the name of the Imperium. Theres loads of potential for this Ordo.

Hope at the least, iv given people a few ideas and inspired them.

eldargal
07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
If I remember correctly, Ordo Chronos is novel or RPG fluff, not 'official' tabletop fluff, yes? To be honest I hope it stays that way, there are enough fluff and continuity issues without bringing time travel into, which is hard to write well at the best of times.

Melissia
07-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Oh please, FFG is more consistent about GW's fluff than GW is.

eldargal
07-07-2010, 11:01 PM
That is what I mean, hope Ordo Chronos stays FFG and GW don't start using it in the official game fluff.:)

Oh please, FFG is more consistent about GW's fluff than GW is.

Asymmetrical Xeno
07-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Time travel/temporal stuff is fine if used creatively, infact it doesnt have to effect the fluff AT ALL.

For example ; ever heard of that wretched apocalyptic galaxy destroying species called the Nyarlapsea, you know, that race the imperium lost 30 chapters against ? you know, the ones that could split their consciousness across multiple dimensions and use their expanded bodies to entrap the enemy ? no ? thats cos the inquisitors went back in time and erased them from history!

can do interesting scenarios like that, probably best kept for a game like Inquisitor though.

Actually screw that, im using that transdimensional alien idea in the next season of my web show.

Javin
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Finally! Now we know where all the missing Primarchs are! They are all TIMELORDS!

Erasmus of Baal
07-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Finally! Now we know where all the missing Primarchs are! They are all TIMELORDS!
Oh, dang, that's actually a good idea! I'll get to writing that in for the 11th Legion, as the fluff mentions Horus in a dream noting the gene-seed tank and mourning the powers within that could have been [I don't remember the exact quote, but it's to that effect].

This is gonna be fun....

AirHorse
07-15-2010, 03:26 AM
If I remember correctly, Ordo Chronos is novel or RPG fluff, not 'official' tabletop fluff, yes? To be honest I hope it stays that way, there are enough fluff and continuity issues without bringing time travel into, which is hard to write well at the best of times.

Theres already time travel in official fluff anyway, but they do tend to keep it vague when they mention in. Lysander, for example, traveled forward in time, but it is only mentioned in passing and they care alot more about him escaping some chaos prison and being super mad.

Grailkeeper
07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Ravenor travelled a thousand years back in time, then forwards again.

one way to have in game time travel would be to have a unit deep strike (from the future) and then remove them from play after the turn (or a few turns) This being them travelling back to turn two or what ever. You might even have duplicate units on the table. I suppose if the original model was killed then the future version would have to be removed too, same goes for one shot models.

This would obiviously make the game way more complicated, and riddled with paradoxs but thats time travel for you.

Leez
07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Ravenor travelled a thousand years back in time, then forwards again.

one way to have in game time travel would be to have a unit deep strike (from the future) and then remove them from play after the turn (or a few turns) This being them travelling back to turn two or what ever. You might even have duplicate units on the table. I suppose if the original model was killed then the future version would have to be removed too, same goes for one shot models.

This would obiviously make the game way more complicated, and riddled with paradoxs but thats time travel for you.

Ha ha ha.

"Dude, it's not a spam list. It's the same tac squad from different points in time."

"um, he's not dead just, just . . . you killed a future self but since the future is mutable he'll still be alive next game, yeah!"

"Space Marine Chapter Chronus!"

Wise Ol Bird
07-15-2010, 02:32 PM

But it would be such a simple and eloquent explanation.
Time discontinuities = fluff discontinuities.
Therefore the all the fluff is correct. You just need to match it to the correct time line.