PDA

View Full Version : beastmen or skaven

Skarekrow07
07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
so...i have been playin 40k for just over a year and have always been interested in picking up fantasy...rules ofcourse differ...but as for armies...im debating between two...skaven and beastemen...would anyone be kind enough to help me decide which might be more enjoyable for me to play? i like causal games but i dont mind winning in competitive environments.

so in other words...who is more kick ***...skaven or beastmen

Melissia
07-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Personally, I say Skaven because they seem just... dunno... more fun?

addamsfamily36
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Prior to 8th, Skaven hands down, but now that 8th is here, beastman have improved considerably. Minotaurs gaining rank bonus, not sure if they get stampede thing that ogre sized models have gained as they already get an impact hit each on turn the charge.

the new lore of beasts is nice too and benefits beastmen directly.

personally i would go with which ever army you prefer or like the look of. As much as there are some stronger army builds out there and armies in warhammer, theres alot more to the game than 40k and haveing the stronger or better force doesn't always equal a win.

8th stil has a lot to reveal though, as its a completely different game, especially combat. maybe try play testing the two armies if you know anyone whos willing to let you borrow a few miniatures?

Skarekrow07
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
haha well to be honest im going into this game with barely knowing the rules...i mean i wanna learn and i just want to start with one army.

rule of cool is not working at all...doomwheels and screaming bells are awesome but yet i really want to paint minotaurs and gors.

Melissia
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Then go with what you like.

NonComPoop
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
I have both of the armies but haven't played an 8th edition game with either of them yet. If you enjoy randomness and blowing things to smithereens(including your own troops) then Skaven are for you. If you like getting to grips with the enemy and enjoy painting muscles then beastmen is a good choice.

I'm just now starting to re-vamp my beastmen to adhere to the new army book. Re-basing my ungors(grrr) and adding numbers to my formerly mixed beastherds. It's going to be a bit of a chore....but it gives me an excuse to paint more beastmen, and that's always a good thing.

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Honestly, I'd wait for the errata, skaven magic suffers badly nowadays, as all the general lores got a big boost, and we have 2 or 3 to rely on, which is a bit of a hinderance(except for the dreaded 13th).

The main reason that I say wait is because if you want a sizeable skaven force, you're looking at anywhere from 200-400 rat-boys. This hobby as fun as it is requires an unforgiving commitment.

RocketRollRebel
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I love the minis for both armies and the fluff for beastmen and the wacky randomness for skaven. But in the end I chose beastmen because I really don't feel like painting a bajillion rats.

Although they are supposedly gonna be in the new starter box with high elves so it'll be a great start to a skaven army too...

Both armies are great tho. Good luck in your choosing!

Skarekrow07
07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
ya i think because that skaven are going to be in the new box set then they would make a good choice.

I mean in 40k i play tyranids so im use to the horde aspect and i think skaven will fit my play style

thank you guys...any one have suggestions on where to start

Chuck777
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Buy the Army Book and see what captures your imagination.

Beta_Ray_Bill
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Buy the Army Book and see what captures your imagination.

Definitely get the book.

There are technically 5 factions to play.
Skryre - adds shooting and other ranged combat
Pestilens - lots of poison and toughness tests
Moulder - adds beasties like giant rats and rat ogres
Eshin - assassin based guys

OR you could go the route of a "warlord clan" which is just a fluffy way to play whatever unit combinations you want.

It's in the books that clans will sell their gear or creations to other clans so it doesn't really matter, just if you like to keep it fluffy. But yeah, end of rant, there are lots of ways to play them.