PDA

View Full Version : Animal Wars

Porty1119
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, Animal Wars. Hamsters with power fists. I've barely started on the ruleset..

Animal Wars Rules
Animal Wars is the game of near-future combat between species of rats, mice, lizards, and many more. It is played with small models of said animals.
Getting Started
The first thing you need to start playing Animal Wars is models! I recommend buying or building models based on whether or not you like the look of their parent army. If an army doesn’t fit your taste, don’t even bother! Take a look at another!

You Will Need…
To begin playing Animal Wars, it is strongly recommended that you have to following:
-Models for each side
-Common six-sided dice (sometimes referred to as a D6), about ten are recommended.
-A copy of the rules and a reference sheet for your chosen army.
-An area to play
-A friend to play against
If you have all these, you are ready to learn to play Animal Wars!
First, set up your playing area. I recommend using 2 1x2 sheets of hobby plywood. If you like, you can lay foam over these and carve terrain features with a rotary tool or something similar.
Unit Profiles

Turn Sequence
Each player’s turn goes as follows:
Move: All models may move as dictated by their equipment and unit type. To move a unit, measure the distance you moved the model , making sure it has moved equal to or less than its allocated move. Note that all models may move an extra 2” if they do not fire their weapons, except for flyers, which may use their afterburners to move an extra 6”.

UNIT MOVES BASED ON TYPE:
Infantry: 4”
Tanks: 4”
Fast vehicles: 6”
Jetpack Infantry: 8”
VTOL/Helicopters: 12”
Flyers: 12-24”
Shoot: All models equipped with firearms may shoot during this phase.
How to shoot:
Look at the profile of the weapon being fired. Its range is how far it may shoot (in inches). Strength show how powerful the weapon is. Its type dictates how it pierces (or fails to pierce!) body armor. Finally, its rate of fire (shown next to weapon type) tells how many shots can be fired per turn. For every shot on the profile, roll one dice (sometimes referred to as a D6).
Next, check the profile of the model firing the weapon. The model’s Ballistic Skill shows how skilled or unskilled it is with its weapons. If the result on the dice is equal to or greater than the model’s Ballistic Skill, this is counted as a hit. Next, we must see if any damage was done. Check the Toughness and Save characteristics of the model being fired at. Roll another dice for every hit inflicted.
Universal Strength-Wound Chart
Strength(relative to toughness)
+2 or more +1 Equal -1 -2 -3 or more
Wounds on… 2+ 3+ 4+ 5+ 6+ cannot wound
Finally, if wounds have been inflicted, the model under attack must pass an Armor Save or suffer a wound. To pass an armor save, the model must roll a dice equal to or greater than its Save value. Note that some weapons do modify saves, so a model with a 2+ armor save isn’t as as tough as it sounds!

Example:
Weapon Strength Range Type
Boltgun 4 8” Small arms 2
The boltgun is a fairly common weapon used by several different armies. It has a strength of 4, range of 8 inches, and is a Small arms weapon that fires 2 shots per turn. If it was being used by an Emmousian Marine with a Ballistic Skill of 3, both shots would hit on a 3+. Say the controlling player rolls a 2 and a 5 to hit. The 2 is a miss.
Weapon types (note that weapons may have several traits listed, all of these are applied. For example, a Macro Anti-Tank weapon ignores armor saves AND rolls an extra D6 while attacking vehicles.)
Obviously, weapons are designed for various roles, from mowing down large numbers of light infantry to destroying heavy tanks. Therefore, certain weapons have strengths and weaknesses that define their role in an army. Weapon types are as follows:
Small-arms: Light infantry weapons allowing all armor saves with no modifiers whatsoever.
Assault: Slightly heavier support weapons such as grenade launchers, these add 1 to the value required to pass an armor save, i.e. a 4+ save is reduced to 5+ and so on.
Heavy: These weapons represent heavy weapons such as rocket launchers and heavy machine guns that punch right through almost all infantry armor. They add 2 to the value required to pass an armor save, so a 2+ save would be reduced to 4+. In addition, Heavy weapons are so bulky or sport such a substantial recoil that they may not be fired by a moving infantry unit (of any type) unless the unit’s rules specifically state that it may fire heavy weapons on the move.
Macro: No matter how advanced armor is, Macro weapons punch right through it. These includeenergy weapons such as lasers, plasma weapons, and some very heavy kinetic weapons such as aircraft bombs (it doesn’t matter how mcuch armor you have when a 2,000-pound iron bomb lands on your head) and heavy artillery.
HEAT: High Explosive Anti-Tank warheads are mounted on a variety of shells, and are specifically designed to combat enemy armored vehicles. They roll 2D6 and choose the highest result when attacking vehicles.
Anti-Tank: The ultimate in anti-vehicular weaponry, Anti-Tank weapons include short-range Fusion Guns and the feared PREDATOR gun-missile launcher mounted on Emmousian heavy tanks. These roll 2D6 when attacking vehicles, with the combined result added to the weapon’s strength.

Assault: Infantry models may move 4” into base contact with enemy models in addition to their regular move, this action is referred to as a Charge. Unless otherwise specified in a unit’s special rules, the unit Charging the enemy hits first. While charging, the unit may fire all of its Small-Arms, Macro and Assault weapons, although it suffers penalties in combat for doing this. In combat, the unit which would strike first rolls the number of dice listed as the ‘Attacks’ characteristic for each model in its unit. For example, an Emmousian Marine squad composed of three Marines with one attack each and a Marine sergeant with two attacks may roll one dice per attack in the unit, for a total of five attacks. Note that units with different Strength values and/or a specialty close combat weapon must roll for these attacks . If the unit did not fire while charging, an extra attack per model may be made. In any case, all attacks hit on a D6 roll of 4+. Proceed to roll on the Universal Strength-Wound chart, using the attacker’s Strength and defender’s Toughness. Armor saves are taken as normal, unless a close-combat weapon that ignores armor saves is equipped. Once the attacker has struck, the defender may strike normally with any remaning models.
Specialty Close Combat Weapons:
In the world of Animal Wars, some characters and elite troops may be equipped with particularly deadly close-combat equipment.
Energy Sword: At first glance, an Energy Sword looks similar to any antique weapon. However, it crackles with an invisible projected plasma field that scythes through all armor. A model equipped with an Energy Sword does not allow armor saves to be taken on wounds it inflicts.
Energy Claws: Energy claws consist of several smaller energy sword-type blades mounted on a gauntlet. The weapons require an odd fighting style, but are devastatingly effective when in the hands of an expert. To represent this, Energy Claws ignore armor saves and re-roll any missed rolls to hit in close combat.

More to come. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Master Bryss
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Here's a suggestion; use the enter key more! It's currently hard on my eyes to read it, so I'd recommend making all your headings and sub headings bold and spacing stuff out a bit better.

I'm really not sure whether you're being serious or if this is an affectionate parody (either way I'm liking the informality of it all), but this is certainly one of the more ambitious projects I've seen.

As for actual armies, how about some sharks with laser beams attached to their heads?

Porty1119
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I copy-pasted from Word and it didn't go too well. Anyways, I have a few pictures of models up at
animalwars.intodit.com . It's more 'mice in Apaches' than sharks with lasers, but...