PDA

View Full Version : which ork characters are worth while

Alien
08-13-2009, 02:03 PM
I am looking at expanding my ork mob and would like to add a couple characters but am not too sure which ones are worth it, or if I should just go stompa.

So far the only one I have used is Ghazghkull, which during his waaagh I think is one of the hardest characters in the game, I was thinking about getting Zagstruck and Snickrot but are they really worth it, or are they only useful for the first round they enter play?
with the planetstrike rules and deployment zones I am not too sure if snikrot is of any use still, but I would wager in a normal game he may be pretty effective.

any suggestions and tactics with any ork characters please feel free to share.

Latro_
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Dual normal warboses on bikes with squig/power klaw/cybork body generally are the best characters you can get.

The SC's are ok but if you wanna inflict some hurt, go with the above.

Javin
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Snikrot is worthwhile. He provides a way to get around gunlines. He shows up where ever YOU want him to on ANY table edge. Arm his Kommandos with flamers and you have a scary unit that will cause an opponent worry.

I have killed countless special characters, tanks, and hidden artillery/snipers with him. If your an ork player, you should have Snikrot in your list.

Nabterayl
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
If you're into flash gitz, Badrukk is a useful buy. He gives three additional re-rolls to the best gun in the unit, and gives the unit a bosspole and Ld9 without the liability of sticking one of your HQs with the unit. Not worth it if you don't like flash gitz, as most people don't*, but if you do, I recommend him.

Grotsnik can be a strong addition to a Snikrot kommando mob or a meganob squad, but I personally dislike units that my opponent can control for me, so I consider him a structural liability even though he can work out spectacularly.

If by "worth it" you mean "most conducive to winning games," I agree with Latro - none of the special ork characters are "worth it."

* My wife got me Badrukk as a surprise "just because" present, which I was actually quite pleased about because I'd been wanting to convert some flash gitz ever since the codex was released, however inefficient they may be. After running some fun games with lists centered around flash gitz I've come to the conclusion that, like most internet pronouncements, it's going too far to say that they're never "worth it." Are they the most "competitive" unit in the codex? Probably not. Can you win in spite of, or <gasp> because of, your flash gitz? Of course.

Decaf_Wonk
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, i dont play orks - but i have played against them and HATE them enough.

Zagstruck - against 'nids = OMG WTF just happened to my Carnifex/Tyrant?!?!?!?!? The guy is soooo annoying - I cannot be more pissed when my nicely tooled up Tyrant is turned into an overly agressive ankle-biter... It's to the point that I now HAVE to bring a Sniperfex so that I can kill the B*&$^d before he can 'Zag' one of my Monstrous lovelies...

Mind you the Warbosses are almost the same, I have never seem a character with such a low save (4+ with armour, 2+ with mega-armour) be so tough to kill! My best means is the broodlord - who's entire lonely task is to hunt and remove those models from the table.... But seriously they are some of the best HQs around - love 'em to bits for their durability and sheer head-butting-awesomeness!

Chumbalaya
08-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Ghaz: Absolute beat stick, but pricey. Very useful, but you pay for it.
Grotsnik: Handy, but makes your units too uncontrollable.
Wazdakka: Perfect for a biker army
Weirdboy fella (spacing on a name): Like a Weirdboy, random and fun, also squigs are hilarious
Snikrot: Makes Kommandoz viable
Zagstruk: Fail like Vanguard
Badrukk: Good character in a fail unit

I'd only use Ghaz, Wazdakka, or Snikrot

The Green Git
08-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Skip Zagstruk. Ghaz and Snikrot are an awesome 1-2 punch. Ghaz, especially with Nobz or Meganobz is a sledge hammer. Snikrot will force your opponent off the table edges... that much closer to Ghaz and the bully boyz.

Snikrot and the Kommandos will die, make no mistake about it. Just the threat of them coming in and assaulting on the turn they arrive is worth the points though.

Alien
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks for the input everyone, I think I will p/u the Snik and ditch Zag, he does seem hit or miss to me, I love a nice fun and balanced or challenging game so powered up bosses and bike nobs are out for me, they are just not much fun.

but if I start having issues with fexes and tyrnats I will try out Zagstruck and see if he can even the odds a little.

Yhcrana
08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I like all the SC's but the only one I ould use is snikrot, his squad always puts out the hurt

Pariah Stevo
08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
listen, Snikrot is not a take all comers unit. they are awesome against tau, guard, and marine gunlines, but he always falls short for me against anything else. Zag is great if he ever gets on the board. He would be a must take if he could start on the board, but he must come in out of reserves.I just got done with my stompa and i love it. if i were you i would get one. especially if your planing on playing some planet strike.

Bulwark
08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
I think they are all fun, but a little pricey for what they do. I am a much bigger fan of a couple of Big Meks. 1 with a Shokk Attack gun to take out those annoying terminators, and 1 with a Kustom Force Field to keep the vehicles alive.

Warmaster Horous
08-25-2009, 05:48 AM
listen, Snikrot is not a take all comers unit. they are awesome against tau, guard, and marine gunlines, but he always falls short for me against anything else. Zag is great if he ever gets on the board. He would be a must take if he could start on the board, but he must come in out of reserves.I just got done with my stompa and i love it. if i were you i would get one. especially if your planing on playing some planet strike.

I always go Snikrot wit 15 kommandos (2 Burnas) to Flank nd Flame the hard-httin units at the back. nuthin says ouch like a crispy broodlord on the first turn!!! =]

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Ghazghul, Snikrot and Old Zogwart are the only ones I'd use myself. The first is a no brainer, but the second is an incredible asset with a large unit of Kommandos. Lastly, Old Zogwart is hilarious as he can turn the enemy into a squig, which is freaking awesome. Take that, Abaddon!

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey Drakester! :D

As for Speshul Karacterz...I love Wazzdakka.

Since I only play Orks for fun, I try to use him every time, he's awesome in a themed army - not least because it makes such an army playable.

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey Drakester! :D

Eww, it's TKE!

As for Speshul Karacterz...I love Wazzdakka.

Since I only play Orks for fun, I try to use him every time, he's awesome in a themed army - not least because it makes such an army playable.

Yeah, what's cooler than being able to turbo-boost and still fire 4 S8 shots? :D

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Only being Canadian, KD, only being Canadian. :p

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Only being Canadian, KD, only being Canadian. :p

You've got that right. :D

TheKingElessar
08-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I kinda wish I was Canadian. Cool accent, good history of interesting comedians and...interesting comedians...
Plus, I loved Due South. Made me want to be a Mountie.

;)

Jiggs
08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Ghazghkull + nobz + painboy + transport = amazing.

Katie Drake
08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I kinda wish I was Canadian. Cool accent, good history of interesting comedians and...interesting comedians...
Plus, I loved Due South. Made me want to be a Mountie.

;)

You forgot pretty ladies. :(

But yeah, on-topic, now that I think of it I bet Grotsnik could be kinda entertaining, too.

TheKingElessar
08-26-2009, 07:33 AM
I'd like to run Grotsnik in a CyGrot army...It'd be hilarious, although a nightmare to paint and convert.

And yes, in my experience, Canadian girls are beautiful...though I imagine they can't all be that way...or else I'm getting on a plane.

Pariah Stevo
08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
i used grotsnik in my meganobs army for a bit. Feel no pain, and fearless, meganobs are sweet, but when they have to assault that crap unit in front of them so they can get counter charged the next turn, it aint pretty. I heard of a guy that p ut him in a 20 man ard boy squad and said it worked great.

Old_Paladin
08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Out of all of them, Snikrot. Hands down. He's pretty cheap all things considered (what else are you gonna do? spend 50 points for a nob with a klaw?); and it's hard to beat taking some randomness out of the orks.
Pretty much the same reason Ghazy is loved (other then the big stomp that he brings); he makes the army better for two turns.

Big mek
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Javin;7435]Snikrot is worthwhile. He provides a way to get around gunlines. He shows up where ever YOU want him to on ANY table edge. Arm his Kommandos with flamers and you have a scary unit that will cause an opponent worry.

I have killed countless special characters, tanks, and hidden artillery/snipers with him. If your an ork player, you should have Snikrot in your list. [QUOTE]

Worth repeating imo, i have never been dissapointed in snikrots performance, and ive lost track of how many artillery/tank/heavy weapon sguads he has dispatched, so he's included in every armylist i make!

MarshalAdamar
05-25-2010, 03:25 PM
People over look the one of the BEST thing about Grotsnik. He can give ANY unit in the army cybork bodies for CHEAP. So you put him in the army somewhere and then give your mega nobz a 5+ invul save and WA LA they're better than terminators for 5 pts a model.

Or stick him WITH the mega nobz so they are fearless and have feel no pain. They need a battle wagon to get there they're going and they can do all kinds of damage before they get killed.

It can go wrong with the doc chase after the weaponless chimera but not usually.