PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolves

Pil
07-11-2010, 08:47 AM
This is a list I think I am going with in our next monthly tourny.

Space Wolves 1500

HQ Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning

HQ Wolf Lord
Thunder Hammer
Storm Shield
Runic Armour
Thunderwolf Mount
Wolftooth Necklace
Wolf Tail Talisman
Two Fenrisian Wolves
Saga of the Bear

HQ Wolf Lord
Frost Blade
Storm Shield
Runic Armour
Thunderwolf Mount
Wolftooth Necklace
Wolf Tail Talisman
Two Fenrisian Wolves
Saga of the Warrior Born

Elite Lone Wolf
Terminator Armour
Storm Shield
Thunder Hammer
Two Fenrisian Wolves

Troops (9) Grey Hunters Pack
Meltagun
Power Fist
Dedicated Transport: Rhino

Troops (10) Grey Hunters Pack
(2) Meltagun
Power Fist

Fast Attack (10) Fenrisian Wolves

Heavy Support (6) Long Fangs Pack
(5) Missle Launcher
Dedicated Transport: Razorback
Twin-linked Lascannon

PinoyC
07-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Where did all your points go?

RP...cheap and best powers IMO...good

Wolf Lord 1...~290 points!!!...I know he's beast...but come on...

Wolf Lord 2...another ~290 points!!!...beastie too...but seriously, drop one of these guys for troops

----this is half of your army---

Lone Wolf...resilient but you're upgrades increase the point cost to 5x the starting cost.

Troops 1...standard but hurts to miss out on a free melta to fit an IC

Troops 2...standard but I trade the PF for extra armor on the Rhino...its a transport for troops...the main way for you to secure an objective...it needs to be able to move.

Wolf Cav...I haven't really looked into them but many ideas are out there for their uses.

Fangs...this is how I believe they're supposed to be but it's hard to have only one squad like this as they're kind of lonesome back there by themselves...wolf scouts/generic outflankers/deep strikers will tear them up if not placed correctly.

Drop one of the Lords and use the points for another Hunter squad (or maybe a raider for the Priest squad...and fill out the squad for a free melta).

For the Lord that you keep...drop his fenrisian wolves and have him join the wolf pack for more ablative wounds...unless he can join w/ the wolf pack even if he has them (???)

Have you thought of preds instead of fangs? they both have their merits so it's not a big deal.

You desperately need more troops...2/3s of the basic game types are controlling objectives and you'll average 2 unless you spread your squad out to reach multiples.

-PC

Lucian Kain
07-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Yea i have to agree with PinoyC ive got some of the same problems with my list but i like Terminators and long fangs!
Our army selection depends on makeing the battle a one sided contest early and keeping the initiative anything that counters or ties up our key components will realy throw a spanner in the works.In the end its up to what units you like i guess, vs' your style of play and what you actually own.

Pil
07-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the relies guys.

Play tested the list against some very tough competitive list that included a mech IG list with 4 vendettes in it, a 4 oblit nurgle chaos list, a Vulken SM list and a Lysander/Shrike list (fleeting termies is a pain btw). It was solid against all. I do understand where you are coming from, and I feel uneasy with only 2 troops, but with the lords running amuck out front with a 24" threat range no one had time to shoot at my troops or fangs really. Even when my Fangs got wrecked by a blast from a defiler, and some terrible cover save rolling from me, it really didn't effect me much.

One thing I can say is the one thunderwolf lord alone doesn't work well. I have great success with either 2 lords on thunderwolves or a thunderwolf lord running with 3 thunderwolf cavalry at this point level.

PinoyC
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Unexpected but that's good man...good to see you did well. If it works, it works. It's just that if an opponent manoevers and/or focuses fire appropriately you'll be severly hampered. Did you play any objective games? How are you running them anyeway (in the wolf cav/both in the wolf cav/seperate but close/split apart completely)?

Good luck and let me know how you fare in the tourney.

-PC

Pil
07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
I run them in a large unit of wolves or in a unit of cavalry. To me what makes it work is the speed at which they are in your face, and if you don't concentrate everything on killing them you will lose. T5 3+ invuln multi wound models are really hard to kill. At any rate it is really fun to play. Seize ground I just sit my troops on objectives and they don't usually do anything else. Same for capture and control.

BlindGunn
07-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Normally, I would recommend at least one more troop choice. Possibly break up the 10-man Grey Hunter squad into two smaller packs - each in a Razorback if you can find the points.

However, at 1500 points AND the fact that the list is working for you - keep exploring what you can do with it!

Pil
07-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Normally, I would recommend at least one more troop choice. Possibly break up the 10-man Grey Hunter squad into two smaller packs - each in a Razorback if you can find the points.

However, at 1500 points AND the fact that the list is working for you - keep exploring what you can do with it!

Yes that worked well actually.

Space Wolves 1500

HQ Rune Priest
Jaws of the World Wolf
Living Lightning

HQ Wolf Lord
Thunder Hammer
Storm Shield
Runic Armour
Thunderwolf Mount
Wolftooth Necklace
Wolf Tail Talisman
Two Fenrisian Wolves
Saga of the Bear

HQ Wolf Lord
Frost Blade
Storm Shield
Runic Armour
Thunderwolf Mount
Wolftooth Necklace
Wolf Tail Talisman
Two Fenrisian Wolves
Saga of the Warrior Born

Troops (5) Grey Hunters Pack
Meltagun

(2) Meltagun
Power Fist

(2) Meltagun
Power Fist

FA (3) Thunderwolf cavalry
Thunderwolf cavalry
(3) Storm shield
Power Fist

I really like this list and it is a lot of fun to play. The 5 meltas and 2 S 10 dudes running around have no problem with any armour.

PinoyC
07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
I definite like the new list better...ectra troops...small but able to cap your rear objs...one thing is that I think that the TW cav w/ PFisonly S9.

PC

Pil
07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I definite like the new list better...ectra troops...small but able to cap your rear objs...one thing is that I think that the TW cav w/ PFisonly S9.

PC

Nope it is S 10 a power fist doubles the strength and thunderwolf cavalry are strength 5.

BlindGunn
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Nope it is S 10 a power fist doubles the strength and thunderwolf cavalry are strength 5.
Sorry - not quite.

If he were taking Plain-Jane (??? :eek: ???) Thunderwolf Cav, then at Strength 5, he would get Strength 10 with a power fist.

As an upgrade to an independant Character - You double first, then add the bonus (actually shown in BRB - page 7 - in box marked "Multiple Modifiers - exact strength that a Wolf Lord with a power fist on a Thunderwolf would be.). As the Upgrades page shows - Thunderwolf Adds to the strength value - does not replace it.

One of the times where you're better off using the "Normal Guy" instead of a character!

<WHOOPS> Ignore me! Thought you were talking about the lord with the Thunderhammer - didn't see the 3 TW Riders at bottom of the list!

PinoyC
07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I said the wrong one. But if you're correct then he ends up w/ 1 S10 TWC guy and 1 S9 Lord not two S10 dudes. So you're still in the fight to win.

Pil
07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I said the wrong one. But if you're correct then he ends up w/ 1 S10 TWC guy and 1 S9 Lord not two S10 dudes. So you're still in the fight to win.

Nope the lord is S 10 with a thunder hammer. The +1 T, +1 S, and +1 A are not bonuses they are modifications to the base characteristics, for example the lord on wolf is not T 4/5, S 4/5, and A 4/5 he is actually T 5, S 5, A 5. A lord taking a thunderwolf mount does replace his base characteristics not simply add to them. It is in the errata as well.

BlindGunn
07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Nope the lord is S 10 with a thunder hammer. The +1 T, +1 S, and +1 A are not bonuses they are modifications to the base characteristics, for example the lord on wolf is not T 4/5, S 4/5, and A 4/5 he is actually T 5, S 5, A 5. A lord taking a thunderwolf mount does replace his base characteristics not simply add to them. It is in the errata as well.
I see what you're saying - I didn't notice it in the Errata because I don't have any Thunderwolves so Thunderwolf Errata wasn't important to me before.

Reading the errata and re-reading the wargear - it makes sence now. Thanks for catching me on it! :D

It would have been nice if GW had included Strength as well as Toughness in their explanation - I could see someone arguing the point just because they don't like it and it doesn't specifically say strength. Going to have to remember to point out - Thunderwolves' modifiers add to the PROFILE, not just adds to the totals (like a Frost Fang adds +1 Strength).