PDA

View Full Version : 1k Gobbo Spider Riders

Melissia
07-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I really want to make this kind of list work-- entirely gobbos on spiders. It looks rather difficult to do though. I've liked goblin spider riders for a while now, and if I don't end up getting an Empire gunline army, this is what I'd get.

Heroes
General: Goblin Big Boss w/Light Armor
-- Gigantic Spider
-- Enchanted Shield
-- Sneaky Skewerer
-- Tricksy Trinket
BSB: Goblin Big Boss w/Light Armor
-- Gigantic Spider
-- Rowdy Grot's Big Red Raggedy Banner
Lvl 2 Goblin Shaman
-- Giant Wolf Spider (counts as wolf)
-- Staff of Sorcery
-- Sword of Might

Core
Forest Goblin Spider Riders w/Bows
-- 12 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss
-- Musician, Standard Bearer
-- 10 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss
-- 10 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss

Basically, it's like this:

S=Spider Rider
B=Banner Bearer
G=General
M=Shaman

SSSSSS SSSSSSS SSSSSS
SSSMSS SSSBSSS SSGSSS

So a few questions:

How good would this be?
Would they get rank bonuses?
Any way I can improve it while staying strictly in the theme?

Melissia
07-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Redone, as someone helped me realize that I spent too many points in heroes, BUT there's no more restrictions on lords in low points games.

Lords
General: Goblin Warboss w/Light Armor
-- Gigantic Spider
-- Enchanted Shield
-- Sneaky Skewerer
-- Tricksy Trinket

Heroes
BSB: Goblin Big Boss w/Light Armor
-- Gigantic Spider
-- Battle Standard
-- Martog's Best Basha
Lvl 2 Goblin Shaman
-- Giant Wolf Spider (counts as wolf)
-- Staff of Sorcery

Core
-- 13 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss
-- 10 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss
-- 10 Spider Riders
-- Spider Rider Boss

T-ORK-amada
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Not a bad list. The only suggestion I have is to split the Sorcerer's unit into 2 different units and leaving him out and dropping the standards from them. That gives you 2 bait units to pull out charges. Leaving him out of the units guaranties that he will not squabble. If you keep him close enough, he will get a "Look Out Sir" on a 4+. Also, if you can find some of the old small Spider Riders (ebay or bartertown), the would be a great proxie for Squig Hoppers because they are small enough. They are a great unit.

Old_Paladin
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
It's a fluffy forest goblin list, but...

Let's look at the good:
They can get ranks.
The new monsterous mount rule basically gives your heros +1 wound (and a bunch of extra attacks, with poison).
It'll be pretty fast, with the magic number of movement 7, and ignoring all those terran rules.
And shooty: with all those bowmen.
Un-stompable! With a lot of people probable taking 'big guys', cav. cannot be hit with the the end of fight stomp hit.
Good chances to wound; gob's with spears at strength 4 on the charge and poison spiders.

The bad:
The spiders are your best fighters, better WS and init then your goblins; but gob's will do most of the fighting as mounts don't get that extra rank of attacks.
Limited numbers: with infantry hoards looking to be the norm, you'll have a hard go of it.
Not shock troops. Most cav need to be used as heavy hitters (doing a lot of damage to win the combat with flankers to break ranks; or grind the enemy to nothing quickly), and gobbos are not up to the task.

As a core army I'd rate it pretty weak; but when you expand it, it could get pretty strong.
As T-Ork said; coveted hoppers would make a good (if random) hammer unit.
Coverted giant spiders with large bows on their back (like the Krootox) would make great 'spear chukkaz'
River trolls are pretty fitting for a forest goblin army and are also a pretty good unit (and almost as fast as the rest of the army).
As the army grows, try to beef-up the size of the spider units a bit; so they can get into flanks and still be large enough to break ranks even if they suffer some casualties.